HE400i vs DT880 600 ohm
Jul 19, 2020 at 12:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Mirro

New Head-Fier
I`m looking for my first dive into this hobby.
what headphones would you recommended to pair with Asgard 3. So far I chose HE400i and DT880 600 ohm. What do you think?
And I wouldn`t mind suggestion on a DAC as well. My budget is $150 for it. and So far I`m looking at Topping E30.

thanks for help in advance

Jul 19, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #2 of 5
TDA1387 Nobsound NOS DAC. 40 bucks. But competes with the Mimby, TDA is more musical and organic.

Jul 19, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #4 of 5
I've had the HE-400i and I can recommend them as being good for most genres. Their bass may be lean with their stock sound compared to most of the competition in that price range, but that's something that can be solved with EQ. They're a bit forward in the upper-midrange to treble frequencies, but that is their presentation and can make vocals in that region sing. I find them enjoyable during the time I had them at least. From what I've gathered, the DT880 is more even in presentation (albeit still having the Beyer treble), so I would think this has slightly more bass impact. So they seem to be both leaning towards the brighter side of neutral. Do note that they have peaks in the 8k region, which is the sibilance region, something to consider if you are treble sensitive.

Also, the Topping E30 is a good DAC that shouldn't really colour your output signal. You could also go for the Schiit Modi 3 if you want something matching in design with your Asgard 3.

Jul 19, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #5 of 5
I've had the HE-400i and I can recommend them as being good for most genres. Their bass may be lean with their stock sound compared to most of the competition in that price range, but that's something that can be solved with EQ. They're a bit forward in the upper-midrange to treble frequencies, but that is their presentation and can make vocals in that region sing. I find them enjoyable during the time I had them at least. From what I've gathered, the DT880 is more even in presentation (albeit still having the Beyer treble), so I would think this has slightly more bass impact. So they seem to be both leaning towards the brighter side of neutral. Do note that they have peaks in the 8k region, which is the sibilance region, something to consider if you are treble sensitive.

Also, the Topping E30 is a good DAC that shouldn't really colour your output signal. You could also go for the Schiit Modi 3 if you want something matching in design with your Asgard 3.
Thanks for the through answer! I think I'm leaning toward he400i. I wish I could listen to them before buy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back