HE400i - good upgrade?
Jul 31, 2017 at 3:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

LogicSound

100+ Head-Fier
I have HD558 modded.
I want a very big upgrade of my headphones.
he400i better?
HE400i vs HE400S?

E10K can will drive the 400i at the maximum performance?

I want audiophile headphone HiFi sound..

up to 250$ for new one

Jul 31, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #2 of 15
I've never heard the 400i but I think it's a pretty good upgrade. The 400S is apparently less bright and easier to drive, so that may be a better option with your FiiO combo.

Jul 31, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #5 of 15
As others said i's tad bit brighter and the bass on the S's a tad bit better both I think would be a upgrade but I don't know about very big upgrade though. The S will run out of a phone just fine but does respond well to a bit more power though.

Jul 31, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #6 of 15
I have HD558 modded.
I want a very big upgrade of my headphones.
he400i better?

Depends on your definition/criteria for "better." What did you mod the HD558 for? Because if you like loud bass you're not going to get that from the HE400i. It has practically the flattest response from 1000hz down to 10hz, giving you balanced bass, but the thing is, it's flat. It's not going to boost the bass beyond what's in the recording. When people like its bass it's precisely because of that but on top of that, it doesn't roll off at the deep end unlike for example the HD600.

HE400i vs HE400S?

Objectively speaking, HE400i has a better response curve. Subjectively, you might like a bit more of a bass plateau.

On top of which, the HE400i is only 93dB/1mW sensitivity, where the HE400S is around 96dB/1mw. When it comes to decibels and particularly its relation to output power, 3dB is a heck of a lot. The HE400S will require a lot less power than the HE400i. Note that when people claim the HE400i is "efficient" that's because they're comparing it to older HiFiMans that are rated a 86dB/1mW or thereabouts.

E10K can will drive the 400i at the maximum performance

Far from it. It's a USB-powered DAC-HPamp - not exactly something with a torroidal transformer surrounded by power caps spitting out anywhere near 600mW/ch.

I want audiophile headphone HiFi sound..

up to 250$ for new one

HE400i objectively will have a more high fidelity sound if at least for a large swath of the spectrum, ie, from 10hz to 1000hz, ie, the response is as flat as it gets with current technology, but only in that range. It's slightly harder to drive, so along with the absence of an upper bass bump, you'll be even farther away from the "wow!!!"-inducing sound of a Grado. If you get the HE400i and you like cranking it up even for just a few songs, invest in an amp. Otherwise, I'd take the HE400S - just because it's not as good as the HE400i's response graph it's not even close to being bad, and since it's easier to drive, you can get away with a USB-powered DAC-HPamp. Although I'd still more likely get something like an Ibasso D-Zero MkII or Fiio Q1 MkII.

Aug 1, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #7 of 15
I haven't heard the HE400i, but I have the HE400S. For me, I had to spend the extra $40 for the Alpha Pads to get the sound I wanted. The HE400S are my daily drivers at my desktop. I have the modi multibit going into ifi itube 2 then ifi micro ican se. I love the sound of the HE400S from a hybrid tube amp; very musical. For the price, I would go with the HE400i and a small hybrid tube amp. Then you have a SS and hybrid tube amp option. One thing I would like to point out though is that I have the Fiio X5 II and K5 dock. I never liked the sound of the HE400S from the Fiio products.

Aug 1, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #8 of 15
I can't speak for the amp/dac, but I have the 400i and 400s. I've run the 400s out of my Fiio X1 gen1 with no issues, as well as my phone, which was great. I think a large part of picking between 400s and 400i is amp coloration and music preferences.
Both can do each the other's job decently well but the 400i has better detail retrieval, whereas the 400s can go mobile, and provides a pleasant warmth, and bit more presence to bass. Unless you REALLY want them to go mobile, I think the 400i is a great way to go.

Aug 1, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #9 of 15
I've never heard the 400i but I think it's a pretty good upgrade. The 400S is apparently less bright and easier to drive, so that may be a better option with your FiiO combo.

Wait, what?

@LogicSound If you want our help to find a more suitable headphone for you, then you need to let us know how you feel about your current one. Pros and cons as well as any changes you would like to see. Audiophile hifi sound is a pretty vague guideline for us to go by :wink:

Aug 1, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #10 of 15
Wait, what?

@LogicSound If you want our help to find a more suitable headphone for you, then you need to let us know how you feel about your current one. Pros and cons as well as any changes you would like to see. Audiophile hifi sound is a pretty vague guideline for us to go by :wink:
You're confused by something? I've done plenty of research in the past about these headphones so I have a pretty good idea of how they perform and sound in comparison with other cans. You do understand that you don't have to physically hear something to understand how it sounds right? I did my research on the Jotunheim and when I switched from the M&M stack to the Jot, it sounded exactly how I was expecting.

Aug 2, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #11 of 15
Would the Oppo HA-2 sufficiently power a pair of HE400i headphones?

Just wondering why the recommendation appears to be 400S over 400i.

I know the 400S is the preferred mobile recommendation but is there not a decent Mobile amp/dac that can power the 400i?

Aug 2, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #12 of 15
Would the Oppo HA-2 sufficiently power a pair of HE400i headphones?

It'll get loud but I wouldn't really bet on it being as good as a desktop amp at the same price point.

Just wondering why the recommendation appears to be 400S over 400i.

Primarily because even just 3dB/1mW difference in sensitivity makes for a heck of a lot of difference. For example, with my D-Zero, which is a portable amp that I use as a back up, my 300ohm, 97dB/1mW HD600 gets louder cleaner (ie, stronger, cleaner bass) than the 62ohm, 93dB/1mW K70x. Given there isn't even a stark difference in the impedance between those HiFiMans, that means that you'd basically pour the same (if not higher) amount of power into the HE400S when it's already more efficient. It's not until I plug the AKGs into something like my Meier Cantate.2 that I can get them to sound as "dynamic" as Grados on a CMOY, whereas the HD600 isn't too far off with just the D-Zero.

Second, unless you're really looking for something that has a flat response from 1000hz down to 10hz, not everybody likes it. One reason why you get some people saying it has enough bass is because they can hear the low bass as well as therest of the bass range. Others feel the opposite way about them because they're looking for a bit of boost in the upper bass.

If you really prefer the response of the HE400i then go with that, but obviously it'll be farther off from the "dynamic" sense of presentation that Grados easily deliver (thanks to their high sensitivity).

I know the 400S is the preferred mobile recommendation but is there not a decent Mobile amp/dac that can power the 400i?

Not really "mobile," just relatively more mobile than the HE400i - the HE400S after all is still an open back headphone.

Again the thing is you'd be able to pour the same amount of power (if not slightly higher) into the already more efficient HE400S. Basically, where the HE400i could use an Asgard, that same Schiit amp is already borderline overkill for the HE400S.

And then there's the other consideration: cost. If you're buying a desktop amp for $400 or so then might as well get the flatter response (if at least for half the graph) of the HE400i. But if we're talking portable DAC-HPamps you might as well save a bit of dought on that and use a more efficient headphone. Alternately, if you can drop enough cash on, say, an RSA Intruder or thereabouts, then the HE400i will work just fine.

Still, it might be enough for how loud you listen, so trying it with a portable isn't absolutely out of the question. We're just saying it's easier to get the most out of the HE400S. Even a Fiio E10K can do a lot with that, and that's USB powered.

Aug 3, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #13 of 15
It'll get loud but I wouldn't really bet on it being as good as a desktop amp at the same price point.

Primarily because even just 3dB/1mW difference in sensitivity makes for a heck of a lot of difference. For example, with my D-Zero, which is a portable amp that I use as a back up, my 300ohm, 97dB/1mW HD600 gets louder cleaner (ie, stronger, cleaner bass) than the 62ohm, 93dB/1mW K70x. Given there isn't even a stark difference in the impedance between those HiFiMans, that means that you'd basically pour the same (if not higher) amount of power into the HE400S when it's already more efficient. It's not until I plug the AKGs into something like my Meier Cantate.2 that I can get them to sound as "dynamic" as Grados on a CMOY, whereas the HD600 isn't too far off with just the D-Zero.

Second, unless you're really looking for something that has a flat response from 1000hz down to 10hz, not everybody likes it. One reason why you get some people saying it has enough bass is because they can hear the low bass as well as therest of the bass range. Others feel the opposite way about them because they're looking for a bit of boost in the upper bass.

If you really prefer the response of the HE400i then go with that, but obviously it'll be farther off from the "dynamic" sense of presentation that Grados easily deliver (thanks to their high sensitivity).

Not really "mobile," just relatively more mobile than the HE400i - the HE400S after all is still an open back headphone.

Again the thing is you'd be able to pour the same amount of power (if not slightly higher) into the already more efficient HE400S. Basically, where the HE400i could use an Asgard, that same Schiit amp is already borderline overkill for the HE400S.

And then there's the other consideration: cost. If you're buying a desktop amp for $400 or so then might as well get the flatter response (if at least for half the graph) of the HE400i. But if we're talking portable DAC-HPamps you might as well save a bit of dought on that and use a more efficient headphone. Alternately, if you can drop enough cash on, say, an RSA Intruder or thereabouts, then the HE400i will work just fine.

Still, it might be enough for how loud you listen, so trying it with a portable isn't absolutely out of the question. We're just saying it's easier to get the most out of the HE400S. Even a Fiio E10K can do a lot with that, and that's USB powered.

Technically, both will work mobile, as I've used the 400i and 400s on my phone, Fiio X1, and Aune M1s. You can get the volume up by pushing the mobile devices, but even with the 400i up to volume, it feels like there's something lacking. Bass, detail, etc. The 400s gets closer to its amped performance though, and it's a heck of a lot of fun for on-the-go listening.

Aug 10, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #15 of 15
I dont know...
HE400i better than HD558 foam mod?
I haven't heard either headphone but from what I've seen in forums, reviews, and other places online, the 400i has better performance than the 558 regardless of mods. Of course somebody might prefer the 558, but the 400i seems to have better specs and better sound quality

Users who are viewing this thread

Back