HE1000 vs LCD3
Aug 17, 2015 at 11:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

securitybunny

Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi,

I'm interested in upgrading my headphones to something end-game. I currently have a heavily modified Sennheiser HD800 but I have been looking at both the HE1000 and LCD3. Out of the two, which is the better headphone?

Current setup.
Headphones: Sennheiser HD800 w/ ultra-mod & hardwired endorphin cable (single-ended)
DAC: Schiit Yggdrasil
AMP: Schiit Ragnarok

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #2 of 10
Better at that point is purely subjective. I'd ask in the flagship part of the forum. What kind of music do you listen to? What have you had in the past? The LCD-3 I think would be a better contrast. Any chance to audition either?

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #3 of 10
  Better at that point is purely subjective. I'd ask in the flagship part of the forum. What kind of music do you listen to? What have you had in the past? The LCD-3 I think would be a better contrast. Any chance to audition either?

I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to ask for advice in the high-end audio forum which is why I posted in the recommendations section.

I listen to all kinds of music, jazz and classical mostly. However I'm only interested in really having one pair of headphones, so I would prefer to have the most well rounded and best one be my end-game for daily use in everything.

Unfortunately it is not possible for me to audition either in my area.

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 10
Yeah... just most people with flagship gear tend to debate pedantic issues in the TOTL forums and never venture out :p. You did the right thing by the forum's rules. The HE-1000 is probably more versatile, as the LCD-3 is a little dark. The LCD-X would probably be a better all-arounder than the 3.

Aug 18, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #6 of 10
I have an in-depth HE-1000 review with comparisons to the LCD-X here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/767883/official-hifiman-he1000-impressions-thread/105#post_11633299

From numerous audition conditions, I have found that the LCD-3F has a nice mid-centric tuning with a touch of darkness that is quite appealing. People also highly rate its "liquid smoothness" though I personally did not find it much different in that particular aspect compared to the LCD-X. The LCD-X has more bass quantity and nicer bass quality (with a more visceral sense of impact and weight). LCD-X tuning also has a sparkling treble (more noticeable peak in the 4-6kHz region) and slightly more recessed upper mids. I personally find the LCD-X more appealingly tuned for my tastes. I personally wouldn't recommend either Audeze headphone as a "main" reference set for critical listening, but they do work well as complimentary headphones, so with your HD800 rig already, either would be a good option depending on personal preference of sound signature tuning. They do fall behind the HD800 in imaging, soundstage, note spacing, and clarity.

I do think the HE-1000 shows clear technical improvements over the LCD-X and LCD-3F. Against the HD800, the HE-1K will be relatively warmer and 'smoother' but not to the extent of the Audeze headphones which display a bit of a subtle blurring effect to the edges of their notes. I do personally find the HE-1k technically better than the HD800 but there are other perspectives on this that I don't find unreasonable. The HE-1K maintains a really high level of imaging, speed, and sound stage that I do personally find surpassing the HD800 from audition conditions though the increase sub-bass presence of the HE-1K may give the HD800 the edge in imaging for certain source files where the increased resolution of the HE-1k for bass details can mask some other depth perception cues. Sound stage the HD800 may be a tad wider L-R but extremely close to call and I consider them equivalent in that area while the HE-1k definitely has a better sense of depth and height.

I personally prefer the HE-1000 over the LCD-3F. Also prefer the LCD-X over the LCD-3F. Would prefer the HD800 or HE-1K over both Audeze options if only going for one main headphone. For a complimentary pairing the HD800 + LCD-X works quite well though the LCD-X is not as good a technical performer as the HD800 and will likely be designed as a 'fun' pair of headphones. The HE-1k captures the excitement of the bass impact that the HD800 without being too overtly colored while maintaining an extremely high technical performance and that would be the headphone I personally would recommend if your budget can stretch that far. Other considerations is that all Audeze LCD-series headphones are extremely heavy if you are coming from a HD800 background (an extremely light dynamic headphone). Will likely need to do a comfort mod. The HE-1K is much more comfortable. I would say the Audeze headphones have a more premium sense to their build quality using heavier parts. Price point favors the Audeze headphones but I do personally consider them overpriced for their technical performance, so I actually think the HE-1k is the better value despite its much higher price point.

Note these are only my personal thoughts. other people will have different perspectives & ymmv! hope this was helpful :)

Aug 18, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #7 of 10
  I have an in-depth HE-1000 review with comparisons to the LCD-X here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/767883/official-hifiman-he1000-impressions-thread/105#post_11633299

From numerous audition conditions, I have found that the LCD-3F has a nice mid-centric tuning with a touch of darkness that is quite appealing. People also highly rate its "liquid smoothness" though I personally did not find it much different in that particular aspect compared to the LCD-X. The LCD-X has more bass quantity and nicer bass quality (with a more visceral sense of impact and weight). LCD-X tuning also has a sparkling treble (more noticeable peak in the 4-6kHz region) and slightly more recessed upper mids. I personally find the LCD-X more appealingly tuned for my tastes. I personally wouldn't recommend either Audeze headphone as a "main" reference set for critical listening, but they do work well as complimentary headphones, so with your HD800 rig already, either would be a good option depending on personal preference of sound signature tuning. They do fall behind the HD800 in imaging, soundstage, note spacing, and clarity.

I do think the HE-1000 shows clear technical improvements over the LCD-X and LCD-3F. Against the HD800, the HE-1K will be relatively warmer and 'smoother' but not to the extent of the Audeze headphones which display a bit of a subtle blurring effect to the edges of their notes. I do personally find the HE-1k technically better than the HD800 but there are other perspectives on this that I don't find unreasonable. The HE-1K maintains a really high level of imaging, speed, and sound stage that I do personally find surpassing the HD800 from audition conditions though the increase sub-bass presence of the HE-1K may give the HD800 the edge in imaging for certain source files where the increased resolution of the HE-1k for bass details can mask some other depth perception cues. Sound stage the HD800 may be a tad wider L-R but extremely close to call and I consider them equivalent in that area while the HE-1k definitely has a better sense of depth and height.

I personally prefer the HE-1000 over the LCD-3F. Also prefer the LCD-X over the LCD-3F. Would prefer the HD800 or HE-1K over both Audeze options if only going for one main headphone. For a complimentary pairing the HD800 + LCD-X works quite well though the LCD-X is not as good a technical performer as the HD800 and will likely be designed as a 'fun' pair of headphones. The HE-1k captures the excitement of the bass impact that the HD800 without being too overtly colored while maintaining an extremely high technical performance and that would be the headphone I personally would recommend if your budget can stretch that far. Other considerations is that all Audeze LCD-series headphones are extremely heavy if you are coming from a HD800 background (an extremely light dynamic headphone). Will likely need to do a comfort mod. The HE-1K is much more comfortable. I would say the Audeze headphones have a more premium sense to their build quality using heavier parts. Price point favors the Audeze headphones but I do personally consider them overpriced for their technical performance, so I actually think the HE-1k is the better value despite its much higher price point.

Note these are only my personal thoughts. other people will have different perspectives & ymmv! hope this was helpful :)

Thanks! I appreciate your input, review, and comparison. I have gone ahead and ordered an HE-1000, which should arrive on Wednesday. My only concern is reading that the production models are receiving a shorter head band strap compared to the beta units. In the event I find it to be too short, are there any compatible straps I could swap it out for?

Looking forward to receiving it and hopefully completing my end-game setup (if such a thing exists).

Dec 29, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #9 of 10
Thanks! I appreciate your input, review, and comparison. I have gone ahead and ordered an HE-1000, which should arrive on Wednesday. My only concern is reading that the production models are receiving a shorter head band strap compared to the beta units. In the event I find it to be too short, are there any compatible straps I could swap it out for?

Looking forward to receiving it and hopefully completing my end-game setup (if such a thing exists).

Please give us your thoughts about your new HE-1000

May 12, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #10 of 10
@money4me247, I just read your comparison on those headphones, they are really helpful information.
I have all but lcd-3, my HE1000 is on the way which I traded with LCD-X.
After reading your comment, I am happy with my decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back