HE1000 pricing: what drives the price of headphones?
Feb 4, 2015 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

ab_ba

100+ Head-Fier
What drives the price of headphones?

As many of us are now eagerly awaiting the release of the HE1000, and others can’t wait for the new JH IEMs, it’s got me thinking, what drives the price of headphones? The new JH Audio entries are priced already, even though they are not available, but tantalizingly, HiFiMAN has yet to price their HE1000s. Their website says, “Final pricing and availability have still not been set though they will certainly be priced as reference products.” What could that possibly mean?? What is he trying to tell us? What is he waiting for? How long do *I* have to wait to know if I'm going to be able to own a pair??

No doubt, prices for TOTL headphones are going up, just as the market for them is increasing. And, blissfully, sound quality is also going up. I know it’s a pretty naive question - it’s just what you learn in Economics 101, but it’s fun to dwell on, and maybe try to guess what price Dr. Fang is going to name for his latest wizardry. At the end I’ll propose we play a little game of “The Price is Right” here.

So, here’s what I can think of, in order of what *should* drive the price of headphones:

1) Sound quality. That should be what you pay for, right? More money should mean better sound quality. We’re all comfortable with the fact that the curve flattens out - you’ve got to pay a lot more to eke out that next increment in sound quality. But still, sound quality is the #1 thing we are all happy to be paying for. 

2) Engineering. Getting these things to sound right obviously takes a lot of design work. If it was easy, we’d have great-sounding earbuds, and hifi for the masses. I *want* to pay for good engineering. I hope that my purchase price remunerates the engineers, and also helps subsidize the development of the next great headphone.

3) Fabrication. Whereas I think it’s pretty likely that sound quality and engineering are the main determiners of price, as they should be, it’s also pretty likely that actually building these things is cheap, cheap, cheap. In fact, an inexpensive headphone probably doesn’t cost that much less to make than a top-of-the-line headphone. The good stuff is distinguished by its raw materials and its quality control, more so than by the cost of manufacture. 

4) Styling. Yup, I’ve been enticed by good-looking headphones. I’ve paid more for custom faceplates on my IEMs. Heck, you wear these things - why not pay for them to look good and feel comfortable?

5) Perception. I see this factor in reviews of audio gear - higher-priced products almost always get better reviews than lower-priced products. I think we all succumb to it: sometimes, just paying more for something (or, hearing what it’s worth) makes it sound better to us. This is a major determiner of price for new cars and restaurants; we’d be naive to think it didn’t affect prices for audio gear. I don’t *want* to pay more for an item than I have to, but sadly, I know my enjoyment of it will have something to do with how much I paid I love having FLAC files for some of my favorite albums, but it’s dismaying when I A/B them against mp3s, even on my best equipment. What did I pay for, really? 
    I think JH Audio is somewhat trading on perception when they priced their new Sirens entries. They’ve got the TOTL Laylas at $2500 - probably the most expensive IEM on the planet. For those who gotta have ‘em, there they are. And, it makes the Angies a steal at $1100. I’ll bet most mortals hearing the two side by side would not say the Laylas are worth twice price, if sound quality is your only factor. And, the engineering and fabrication cost differences can’t justify that price differential. So, there’s an example of perception driving the price. 

6) Advertising, sales, packaging, shipping, warranties, cost of doing business, etc. All these things of course affect the price you pay for headphones. 

OK Dr. Fang, what’s your move going to be? We’re all waiting! I’m wondering, will he stick with what HiFiMAN is known for - the exceptional price-to-performance ratio? It’s worked for his company so far: that’s why I bought my HE-500’s instead of LCD2’s. I came to the conclusion I was getting (nearly) as good sound quality for nearly half the price. I’ve been happy with my purchase. So, if he sticks with what has succeeded for his company, then he will price the HE1000 to compete well against other flagships, such as the HD800’s at $1500 and the LCD3’s at $2000, and he’ll come in under $2000. At that price point, I think he will sell a *lot* of headphones. I’d order a pair without even waiting for the reviews if they were under $2K. 

On the other hand, does he think he’s got a Stax killer? If so, we’ll see a price up around $3000, and maybe even over. And I mean, why not? Thin, big diaphragms. A specialized amp to go along with it. (Though the HE1000s can be driven by your iPhone.) Sounds like an electrostatic to me, so why not price it with the big boys? Especially if you hear the initial raves. If he does that, though, HiFiMAN becomes a different type of company, and no doubt they will sell fewer HE1000’s, and perhaps even fewer to the point that profits would have been better with a lower price. Also, a too-expensive top-end product can actually have a negative effect on sales of products down the line; shoppers might figure, if the HE500 is 80% less than the HE1000, how good can it be, really? Companies are better off sticking with a consistent pricing philosophy. 

OK ready for a little game of The Price Is Right? What’s your guess for the selling price for the HE1000 (and, heck, the EF1000)? Let’s see who gets the closest without going over. And for that, your prize will be, you can buy the HE1000 for pretty much what you expected to pay! Not bad, huh?

I’m guessing: $1700 for the headphones. $1900 for the amp.  Bring reference sound to the masses, and own the industry for years to come.

What’s your guess?

Feb 5, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #2 of 48
Corrected for you.

I’m guessing dreaming: $1700 for the headphones. $1900 for the amp.  Bring reference sound to the masses, and own the industry for years to come.

Why charge so low when the Stax and Abyss sell? Initial impressions have already been very positive.

FWIW, the cans have been hinted at $3,500 (5000 AUD).

Do you not consider the LCD-X as a reference in neutrality? It sits at the price point you mention.

Feb 5, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #3 of 48

No doubt, prices for TOTL headphones are going up, just as the market for them is increasing. And, blissfully, sound quality is also going up.

That's very debatable. I don't think any other headphones have beaten good ol' HD800s under 5000$. Escpecially if you take into account not only sound quality, but also the looks, the build quality, the reliability etc.

Feb 5, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #4 of 48
  That's very debatable. I don't think any other headphones have beaten good ol' HD800s under 5000$. Escpecially if you take into account not only sound quality, but also the looks, the build quality, the reliability etc.

Thats one hell of a subjective statement, and ironically, very debatable :¬)

Feb 5, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #5 of 48
2500 for the 'phones and 3500 for the amp.

Feb 5, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #6 of 48
I'd like to see $2500 for the phones, but I think Fang will go for $3500 minimum, Amp I dont care about but $3500 seems too much so I think thats going to be it.
I dont think its going to beat the Abyss for Rock music so I'm going to weigh up the prices, (when Fang releases them).
I'd really rather not pay for the Abyss the price simply too high but I may yet buy it and try to forget the price Either way this will be my end game purchase. I used to own Stax Lambda Sigs and T1S back in the 90s, but as much as I loved the transparency, they just didn't boogie, currently using and enjoying Audio Technica ATH AD2000, so far managed to resist HD800 but who knows!

Feb 5, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #7 of 48
  I'd like to see $2500 for the phones, but I think Fang will go for $3500 minimum, Amp I dont care about but $3500 seems too much so I think thats going to be it.
I dont think its going to beat the Abyss for Rock music so I'm going to weigh up the prices, (when Fang releases them).
I'd really rather not pay for the Abyss the price simply too high but I may yet buy it and try to forget the price Either way this will be my end game purchase. I used to own Stax Lambda Sigs and T1S back in the 90s, but as much as I loved the transparency, they just didn't boogie, currently using and enjoying Audio Technica ATH AD2000, so far managed to resist HD800 but who knows!

Rock on the Abyss is sensational! 

Surprised you're using HD800s. They usually sit with Stax owners :¬)

Feb 5, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #8 of 48
  Why charge so low when the Stax and Abyss sell?

Sennheiser has sold 30k+ HD800s.  I imagine the Stax sales numbers to be decent as well considering their brand reputation.

Abyss??  I'd wager they've sold maybe a couple hundred units at best.  The design and price tag are both too ridiculous to compete with something like the HD800.

I'm definitely eager to hear the HE-1000 considering there hasn't been a hype train of these proportions on head-fi in many many years.

Feb 5, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #9 of 48

Sennheiser has sold 30k+ HD800s.  I imagine the Stax sales numbers to be decent as well considering their brand reputation.

Abyss??  I'd wager they've sold maybe a couple hundred units at best.  The design and price tag are both too ridiculous to compete with something like the HD800.

I'm definitely eager to hear the HE-1000 considering there hasn't been a hype train of these proportions on head-fi in many many years.

Sennheiser have a very different company infrastructure; consumer reach, marketing and production. The pricing model has to match the production/marketing limitations of the company.

From the dealers I've spoken to, the Abyss are selling well.

The Abyss not designed to compete with the HD800 in any way, shape or form. For better or worse, they have targeted different demographics.

Feb 7, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #11 of 48
If the HE-1000 is better than a LCD-3, then they can charge alot more than $2000. It all has to do with the pricing of the competition. If the SR-009 was priced at $1000, nobody would go above $1000 in their pricing. 

Feb 7, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #12 of 48
  If the HE-1000 is better than a LCD-3, then they can charge alot more than $2000. It all has to do with the pricing of the competition. If the SR-009 was priced at $1000, nobody would go above $1000 in their pricing. 

Exactly.  It looks like Fang Bian is trying to price them exactly at how much the market will bear.

From a business perspective it was very smart of him to show off the product, get feedback, build hype, all without pricing it.  But he obviously already quoted the initial MSRP to some vendors as it appeared on Moon Audio for a few hours at $2500.  Or it may have been miscommunication.  Or it may have been intentional to gauge response.

And the response was positive, so you can be sure as hell it is going to be a lot more than $2500.  Audeze made a $2000 headphone pretty acceptable, and then the Abyss came out, so now it's just game on for these guys, prices are going to keep going up and consumers will keep paying it.  Audiophiles are never satisfied, just look at the speaker market, that is where we are headed.

Feb 7, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #13 of 48
  If the SR-009 was priced at $1000, nobody would go above $1000 in their pricing. 

How about Ultrasone? 
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #14 of 48
  Audiophiles are never satisfied, just look at the speaker market, that is where we are headed.

I had thought the same thing; interesting to ponder what the TOTL headphone market will be like in 10 years :¬)

Feb 7, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #15 of 48

Edifier bought Stax for only 1,5 million usd. Even though sr-009 was making money in the end it is nothing like hd800. Pricing he-1000 close to the price of sr-009 would be a bold move. It would have to better sr-009 with a good marging to lure in enough buyers. I'm just speculating but I think when you price headphones 3000$ a lot of money comes in from not just from audiophiles but also from people who are into buying luxury products in general. If a japanese company with long history is unable to make tons of money in the luxury deparment I don't see a new chinese company making a much of an impact. Of course it is easier to sell an expensive orthodynamic or regular dynamic headphone because you don't need a special amp so that is also a factor which works in hifimans favor. I'm sure hifiman will make profit with he-1000 however they price it but I'm in the camp that thinks they would make more money if they price it closer to lcd3 instead of stax/abyss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back