he-6 with he adapter
Mar 18, 2013 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

gcanman

New Head-Fier
I went to Axpona and heard the Hifiman he-6 connected to the matching amp. I was very impressed. I know they are difficult to drive and then saw the he adapter which allows you to use a standard amp to drive them. I have a Mcintosh mc 252. Has anyone here used the he-6 with the adapter or compared the adapter vs the matching amp driving them? I would rather not spend the extra cash on the amp if the adapter works well. 

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
I went to Axpona and heard the Hifiman he-6 connected to the matching amp. I was very impressed. I know they are difficult to drive and then saw the he adapter which allows you to use a standard amp to drive them. I have a Mcintosh mc 252. Has anyone here used the he-6 with the adapter or compared the adapter vs the matching amp driving them? I would rather not spend the extra cash on the amp if the adapter works well. 

I assume you have a stereo system and got a preamp already.

You can plug the he-6 straight into many power/integrated amp (be careful with the volume though). If you are worried about damaging the headphone, you can use the adapter (remember to change the resistors to better quality ones) or make a resistor network yourself. I'd use a resistor network; since the 252 is like 250W @ 8Ohm (I'm plugging mine straight to 80W amp).

You'll be required to use resistors/adapter for tube amps though (to protect the transformers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back