HE-6 Loaner Program [EU-Version]
Dec 7, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #121 of 168
Firstly i’d like to say a big thankyou to Nankai and SievekingSound for organizing this EU HE-6 loaner program . All too often theres a big ‘Conus Only’ on these try outs and the majority of us across the pond tend to miss out on the opportunity to try out new flagship products. I certainly hope this will be the first of many more to come :)

Speaker amp

DSC00780.jpg

Unfortunately with the delays of the original pair getting returned for repair then exchanged to the current production version i no longer have my K1000 to do a direct comparison with so my comparisons to those are from memory. My only flagship headphone i have at the moment is the ultrasone Ed. 8 and i compared it directly to them later on in the review. I pretty much listen to a little of everything and as i only had these for a week to try i used a wide range of genre’s from pop to rock, jazz to rnb, dance and even a bit of classical. All of the tracks i used were was in Aiff format .

The setup i used is the same one i had for the K1000 comprising of :

iMac > Puremusic software > PS audio DLIII > Technics Receiver (Class A)

These are heavier than i was expecting, they look quite light but have an a good weight to them when you pick them up but are not heavy enough to give you neck trouble while wearing them. They have a similar clamping force to the HD650 but i’m sure the headband could be bent a little to reduce it if necessary. There was no 4pin xlr to banana plugs cable with these so i had to use the impedance box designed for amps throwing out 75w or more. I have no idea if it does anything to the actual sound but in this case it was the only option for me.

The vintage technics pushes out a nice 30 watts per channel and i was very happy of how it drove the AKG when i had them. As for driving them they are just as hungry as the AKG with the volume dial sitting at the same 10 o’clock position. But that does mean there is a ton of headroom on this amp as full volume is about 4 o’clock on the dial. I really noticed the bass on the HE-6 especially coming from a bass light pair of K1000. Its very tight and goes very deep, drum beats have an almost 3D quality really separated from the other instruments. At no time does it feel bloated and its just as much or little as the track needs. The mid range is very impressive, plenty of detail and vocals are are just slightly forward from centre which for me is just right. The highs are well represented here as well and without any trace of sibilance. The overall sound of them is very musical and probably on the warmer side of neutral.

I thought the sound stage is quite small for an open headphone, its not congested and stuck in your head like a pair of iem’s but it doesn’t throw a concert wide feel that the K1000 can easily produce. For me the AKG was supreme at live acoustic tracks and Jazz (especially with the likes of Diana Krall, Rebecca Pidgeon, Michael Buble and Claire Martin) but didn’t do so well with modern rock, pop or dance music. The HE-6 is just as good with the live and jazz tracks but in another league altogether when it comes to the modern pop or DJ sets. They are as close as i have come in my few years at head-fi to a headphone that is pretty much suitable for nearly all genres. It may not be the most perfect headphone ever created but its a close as i’m ever to need.

Headphone amp

DSC00783.jpg

For this used my office rig comprising of:

Macbook Pro > Puremusic software > Matrix cube dac/amp

For most people they will be running these from a standard headphone amp, the matrix cube is a nice little budget combo unit that i bought to replace my nuforce uDac. Once i plugged in the HE-6 i noticed a slight difference in SQ, it was almost as if the music lacked weight behind it and no amount of extra volume could fill it out so that it felt full and engaging as they sounded on the technics speaker amp.

It is worth pointing out that the only thing in common between the HE-6 and the Ultrasone Ed 8 is that at full price both cost over well $1000. So the following bit is pretty worthless in terms of comparison but as they were at hand i done it anyway. For normal listening i have the volume dialed in at about 9 o’clock when using the Ed 8 but for the HE-6 it needs cranked up to about 2 o’clock to get a similar level of sound ( sorry i don’t have an spl meter to measure them exactly) In terms of bass they are more or less a tie both deliver well defined and plenty of it when needed. The mids in the HE-6 do seem more focused and more separated from the rest of the track with the Ed 8 almost seeming a little veiled in comparison. Not wanting to stir up the whole amp issue causing this type of problem i just want to say its just something i haven’t noticed before but just when comparing both of these HP side by side.

Both headphones have well extended highs and neither have any sign of sibilance that i could detect. The soundstage is also a close call between them, both offer a decent amount of outside of your head performance but nothing spectacular. The K1000 have ruined me in that aspect & i doubt any other hp will ever improve on them in that area.

Of course when it comes to sound isolation and portability running from the likes of an an ipod the HE-6 don’t stand a chance against the ultrasones, which of course is what they were primary designed for. At full volume the music is just audible on the HE-6 and lacking any sort of decent SQ, just flat and dull. They don’t block out any background noise which is perfectly normal for open cans but it is sometimes quite hard to get a pin quiet environment to use them properly and without annoying others in the vicinity. Horses for courses and all that...

The Bad?

The only negatives i have are really nitpicking at best. For anyone with a normal to small sized head the cups could be sitting lower down than you would like. Even with the cup pushed fully up on the slider bars i had to pad out the headband to bring them up to a more central position over the ears. Of course there will be some that might feel at full extension its too small so i guess its trying to find a happy medium to suit everyone.

As for the new paint finish, i much preferred the look of the leather on the prototype enclosures, it exuded class which was very fitting of a flagship product. The finish on the cups is ok but it seems identical to the much cheaper He-4. Of course it’s all about the sound and for that it could be easily forgiven.

The frame does make a few squeaks here and there when moving your head about, now this could be just because this pair has been through the wars while traveling across Europe and perhaps even fixed in the production models but in IMHO any metal on metal contact is always going to suffer from this type of problem. A few extra rubber spacers would cure it.

Conclusion

There is no doubt that the HE-6 is right up there amongst the flagship headphones i’ve heard, for me its more comfortable than the K1000 with much improved bass without losing any of the finer details of the music. Sure it doesn’t quite have the life like soundstage of the AKG but overall i feel its still a better all rounder.

Its not really fair to compare it with the Ed 8 as they are like chalk and cheese, but used in a home amp setting and if i only had one pair to choose from it would be the HE-6.

In the 2 setups i tried these on the speaker amp won hands down in terms of SQ. Now i’m sure there are plenty of desktop amps that could drive these fine but i bet you there are going to cost in the region of $500-1000. A nice vintage amp from the 1980’s like the technics that i used can be picked up on ebay for around $100.

Going out on a limb these are the closest i have come to the Omega II mk1 run from the Woo Audio GES amp . The HE-6 are very immersive and really draw you into the performance with pin point accuracy in instrument placement and on stage vocals. I have a few tracks that have sounded phenomenal with the stax and i have never really be able to get them to sound just right with other headphones i’ve owned in the past. But the HE-6 does them justice, which is remarkable considering its about 25% of the cost of the stax rig

Of course i’m not for one minute suggesting every BHSE and Omega 2 owner out there flogs them for a pair of these, but certainly for anyone coming up the upgrade path, these are probably going be be the sweet spot as far as headphones go.

Dec 7, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #123 of 168
Thanks for the impressions lisnalee. They were particularly relevant to me, as I am just getting acquainted with the HE-6 myself and am considering the Edition 8 and K1000. Did you get a chance to listen to the HE-6 prototypes?

Dec 7, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #124 of 168
No problem :smile:

Unfortunatley i didn't, i believe the pair doing the rounds in Europe at the moment are the more efficient production versions.

Both the k1000 and Ed 8 are very nice headphones in their own right and everyone should at least try them once in their headphone journey.

Dec 7, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #125 of 168
Dec 9, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #126 of 168
Router has packed in and it could take a week to sort out. So I can't post unless on a borrowed computer. Col12 has been PM'd to make other arrangements for getting addresses.

Dec 10, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #127 of 168
I'm back as the router took only one day to arrive, was simplicity itself to set up and to make things even better the headphones are here too in the same post. Yesterday we had 3 inches of snow and frozen roads with -10 temperatures. Today the sow has virtually all gone. Typical Scottish weather.

Any worries about my headphone amp not being able to drive these cans has gone. I have the volume at a setting of half way between 11 and 12, which is lower than some of my other headphones. A first try out with some post rock by Long Distance Calling reveals a spaciousness and detail unlike anything I have heard before. Serious listening will be next week as I am hone alone for 3 days. These cans leak too much for me to use them over the weekend as my listening space is in the livingroom.

They are beautiful and very very heavy!

Dec 10, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #128 of 168
I'm back as the router took only one day to arrive, was simplicity itself to set up and to make things even better the headphones are here too in the same post. Yesterday we had 3 inches of snow and frozen roads with -10 temperatures. Today the sow has virtually all gone. Typical Scottish weather.

Any worries about my headphone amp not being able to drive these cans has gone. I have the volume at a setting of half way between 11 and 12, which is lower than some of my other headphones. A first try out with some post rock by Long Distance Calling reveals a spaciousness and detail unlike anything I have heard before. Serious listening will be next week as I am hone alone for 3 days. These cans leak too much for me to use them over the weekend as my listening space is in the livingroom.

They are beautiful and very very heavy!

Glad to hear they finally arrived :cool:

Same story here with the weather as well, winter wonderland yesterday and totally gone today.

Dec 10, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #129 of 168
Prog,

I am very interested in your assessment with the prog. rock genre. In particular, how does the soundscape sound with Genesis or Camel, Pink Floyd and Supertramp.

Dec 11, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #131 of 168
I have a few genres to work through and trad English prog will get a good listen. I have been jumping about at first and my initial reaction to these cans are; if you are looking to upgrade AKG K701/2 or K240 headphones, these are for you. The detail retrieval is amazing and the emphasis is on a big midrange. The only disappointment so far is with heavy multiple guitar tracks and wall of sound by the likes of Martin Grech and Devin Townsend. They lacked impact.

Presently working my way through my mellow playlist and wow, big wow.

EDIT - started on the prog playlist and at first I was a bit disappointed, but after putting up the volume on my amp to 1 o'clock, it has come together. My wife commented that they sound great just as speakers they leak so much sound. I am begining to think my amp is going to be the limiting factor here. To get enough 'oomph' I need to have the volume a bit too high for sustained listening.

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #132 of 168
I used my tester tracks this morning. 

Massive Attack 'Angel', the opening 50 seconds. The bass was very well controlled and detailed, but lacked impact. The 'miaow' sound at 42s was surprisingly muted. I was expecting more since elsewhere I have heard detail retrieval I have not heard with any other headphone.

New Order 'Regret'. Lovely and clear with the sibilant cymbals. But again it lacked impact and Peter Hooks bass was not as prominent as I am used to.

Gomez 'Whippin Picidilly'. Excellent, bright, clear and super separation between instruments.

Ash 'Oh Yeah'. A big surprise. It is badly recorded and usually sound muddy and flat. But the HE 6s turned it into the track it should be with lots of youthful exuberance.

A run through my top track playlist on Spotify kept finding details I have not heard before in music I know well. The wall of sound that is Oceansize was very well rendered and i could hear each of the four guitar parts. 'Music for A Nurse' was spine tingling. The same was true for much of the post rock that I listen to. Two vocalists I like, Martin Grech and Martin Hagfors were both made to sound really lifelike.

Dec 14, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #133 of 168
Lots of joy and spine tingling moments with traditional Prog Rock.

'No Opportunity, No Experience' and 'Yours Is No Disgrace' by Yes are an absolute blast with the full dynamics I have felt missing with other music.

'Can Utility and the Coastliners' by Genesis has little resonances from bells I have not heard before, a nice thud off the kick drum and Peter Gabriel's voice is so alive.

'Still...You Turn Me On' by ELP sounds as if it has been recorded in a huge space with loads of separation between the instruments. Again Greg Lake's voice has never sounded so good.

The difference is I have really cranked my amp up to 1 o'clock on the volume. Now, finally bass is appearing.

Dec 15, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #134 of 168
It is suggested that a powerful amp is needed to drive these headphones, two watts or more. The MF X-CANV8P is 2.3 watts, but I would say now for sure it is not powerful enough. To get the full dynamic abilities of these headphones and its ability to reproduce accurate and quite deep bass I have to turn the amps volume up to 2 o'clock, which is too loud for extended listening sessions. That is a huge shame as I am loving it!

On a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 is bass and 10 is treble, the HE-6 is a 3 to 10, with great detail and clarity. The AKG K702 is a 3 to 9, the AKG K340 is 2 to 9 and the AKG K280 is 2 to 8, all with not so much detail and clarity. I would go back to my original comment of the HE-6s are an upgrade over the AKG range that I have heard. If you want to keep the general AKG sound and have the money I would heartily recommend these. But watch your amp otherwise you will waste your money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back