HE-6 Loaner Program [EU-Version]
Nov 9, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #106 of 168
Well, there you go. Another repair that was as easy as "wax on, wax off" 
smile.gif

I'm glad it wasn't something major.
Enjoy your time with them. Few things in life are as easy as that!

Nov 14, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #107 of 168
Hi there
smily_headphones1.gif

As you know, I received the HE-6 last week, and have spent a lot of time with them.
They were plugged on a Meier Concerto, same as the LCD-2.

So I will not only make a rewiew, but a comparison as well.

This is my first review in english, so be lenient.

The Comfort

The HE-6 are very comfy with nice pressure around your ears.
They are quite heavy, but nothing appalling. The velvet pads are nice and of good quality.

VS LCD-2 :
It's up to your preference.
The LCD-2 are heavier with a stronger clamping, but the leather pads are so more confortable.
Beside, the Forward angled cable inputs is a good idea, because it can be annoying on the HE-6 (depending on your listening position)

Amp Requirement

The HE-6 need a lot of power. With the Concerto, it's just enough.
I have to put volume to the max, and I still feel the the HE-6 could do more with extra power.

VS LCD-2 :
The LCD-2 don't need a lot of power, just a good source.

The Build

I've always had some trouble with headphones which use plastic materials.
They always seem more fragile, and sometimes, you can hear some plastic crackle noise when you move your head. Fortunately, The HE-6 are well built, and the crackle noise are quite rare. The stock cable is also really nice.

VS LCD-2 :
For me, the LCD-2 are a piece of art. Well built and solid.
The stock cable is good, but would be more pleasant if it was less rigid.
The only real trouble is the block-band made in plastic (again) but Audeze are aware of this issue, and are fixing this by replacing them.

Now, let's talk about the sound
o2smile.gif

The Soundstage

Not as wide as I'm used to with dynamic headphones or stats, but quite enough.
Fair representation.

VS LCD-2 :
The LCD-2 have a smaller soundstage. Not a gap, but still. It's really surprinsing at first.
Less air too. Can be annoying on live concert recordings.

The Bass

I've bought a lot of headphones this year, including some Hi-End, and my conclusion was "if you want punchy and deep bass, buy closed headphones". Well, fortunately it's not the case with Orthos.
The bass response is amazing. far better than all the (open) dynamic and stats I had
tongue_smile.gif

VS LCD-2 :
In this area, the HE-6 are amazing, but the LCD-2 are better.
More quantity and more punch. Visceral !

The Mids

Really smooth and present, there is nothing else to say than great.

VS LCD-2 :
The LCD2 seem warmer, but just a bit. I can't really say wich one I prefer.

The Treble

These headphone offer beautiful treble. It can be harsh sometimes (for me), but is really enjoyable.

VS LCD-2 :
Not a lot to discuss here. Despite what a lot of people says, they really lack in treble.
It's very noticeable when you listen female singers like Tina Arena, and even more when you do direct comparison with the HE-6. For me, the major weakness of the LCD-2.

Global Sound & Conclusions

The HE-6 are really versatile headphones and offer a very realistic sound representaion.

They do everything well without any doubt.
If you don't want to buy many headphones but just one pair, it should be these ones.
They don't have any weakness, so you can enjoyed them with any kind of music.

I have just a few complaints about them.

1) The built
Even if they are well built, the plastic is definitly not a good idea.

2) They do everything well, but they don't shine in any area.

3) For that reason, I found them a little pricey.
I know that orthos are expensive (don't know why), but still...

VS LCD-2 :
If you've read my previous posts on the Audeze topic, you certainly know that I don't like the LCD-2 sound. If I admit that voices and bass are great, I find the presentation too congestionned, and because the lack of treble, totally irrealistic (resonance on piano for instance).

Fortunately, the LCD-2 respond well to a HTRF EQ. And you can get something really spectacular with them.

So my review is done. Hope you enjoyed it
beerchug.gif

Thanks to Phang and Jan for this interesting Loaner Program.

Nov 15, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #108 of 168
Hi there,

I'm supposed to send the HE6 tomorrow to the next on the list, but I don't have any information.

Who should I contact to ?

Nov 24, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #117 of 168

Yes I've just read them.

I'm on it. You should receive the HE6 quickly.

I sent you a message yesterday but haven't heard anything back from you so thought I'd post here as well, just incase you check the thread.

The HE-6 have not arrived yet. Can you let me know if they have been shipped to me and if you have any sort of tracking number for them.

Thanks

Dec 5, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #119 of 168
Subscribed as I am next and really looking forward to this. A nice surprise on the run up to Christmas.
beerchug.gif

Dec 7, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #120 of 168
I have just packaged these up and will be posting them to Prog Rock Man in the next day or so, when the husky dog sleigh team gets here to take me to the post office...

My little review just needs some tidying up and should be up later on today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back