He-560 Amp + General Recommendations.
Mar 1, 2015 at 9:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Kzkzas

New Head-Fier
Hi, a bit of backstory: I used to own a pair of Hifiman HE-500's and unfortunately they broke. Rather than replacing them I decided to change to the newer HE-560's, they're the later production model with the metal baffles. Now, it wasn't because I was dissatisfied with the HE-500's, quite the opposite actually, but I thought of it as a minor upgrade worth the extra investment. Much to my dismay, the HE-560's aren't to my liking as much, especially considering the extra cost.
I mainly listen to Metal music (poorly mastered mostly) and the experience I got from the HE-500's felt it definitely warranted the price I paid. As it stands, I'm actually preferring my DT 770's over my HE-560's, which absolutely was not the case with the HE-500's.
To start, the positives: I love the accuracy, I can hear details in much clearer resolution than my HE-500's. I also own a pair of Etymotic ER4P's which, to my understanding, share the same kind of analytical properties as the HE-560 in micro-detail extraction and whatnot, but don't get the same issues I'm experiencing. They sound absolutely fantastic during any instrumental passage which isn't distorted guitaring, and I feel if I can just tame down the grating highs I'll actually prefer these. The comfort is also a massive bonus.
The key issues I'm hearing are the high peaky treble and sibilance on heavier songs, feeling it lacks some impact and depth too, a little more bass would also be welcome. As it stands, I'm using the same amp I used with the HE-500's, an Alesis RA150 (http://www.alesis.com/ra150) using the speaker taps. This worked extremely well with the HE-500's, better than the Schiit Lyr for a third of the price, possibly because the HE-500's were a 'warm' sound innately which had good synergy with a flat, neutral amp. I also tried my HE-560's from an Asus Xonar STX Sound card, which stopped the extreme highs but sounded pretty anemic and clinical.

Now my question: could an amplifier possibly resolve the issues I'm having with these? I have considered the Hifiman EF100 since it was apparently made for these headphones, and being a tube amplifier, it may roll off the highs. I could also sell my DAC since it has one inbuilt - my desk is looking a little cramped! (whether it's worth it, I don't know - I'm currently using a Little Dot DAC_I Unit) I was also considering the Schiit Lyr, but if I was to go this path, what would the best tubes be to complement the sound I'm looking for - and whether it'd warrant the extra cost over the Hifiman unit.
I'd quite like input from someone else with these headphones and their experience with metal (or even rock) genres in particular, and what worked for them, I'd prefer not to mod them irreversibly for warranty purposes, reversible modifications are fine. I'm willing to pay up to $800 for equipment providing it will definitely fix the issues I'm having.
With regards to pads, I'm currently using the production Focus-Pads. Would the Focus-A's resolve some of these issues? I saw Jerg's mod post and considered doing the pad mods.
I'm also using the stock cable - I prefer it to the HE-500 cable in terms of build quality and feel, but I've never been a believer in expensive cables, unless there is some definitive evidence that they'll make a noticable difference, I'd rather not go down this route.

If I'm destined to dislike these no matter what, could anyone suggest a clear upgrade to the HE-500's? I was considering the Audeze LCD-X's, LCD3's but I've never tried an Audeze headphone. I was also considering the Oppo series but the portability is a non-factor for me. I'm not really willing to pay much more than that (£1400 / $2200) considering I'll have to get a decent amp to do them any justice. Failing that, I might just trade them for a pair of HE-500's if anyone is offering.

Any advise is welcome at this point, thanks!

Mar 1, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #2 of 4
I think if you don't really like the headphones you should look for another pair rather than try to fix it with and amp. But that's just me.

Mar 1, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #4 of 4
I don't know why but I had an aversion to using an EQ of any sort, but I reduced the 4k slightly just for curiousity sake and it made a pretty big difference in toning down the brightness, changed my perspective a bit. It's still not quite there and lowering it any more just makes it sound iffy.

Regarding the Oppo PM2's, the general consensus I've heard is that, despite having probably the best build quality, styling and efficiency, they compromise some of the sound quality of other Ortho's. I really do need to listen to them myself though. Biggest issue I have with this hobby is my inability to try before buying since there's nowhere remotely close that demo's this sort of stuff, and buying/returning gear gets very expensive after a while with restocking fees, shipping and whatnot.

I just know these headphones have more potential than what I'm hearing at the moment, which is why I'm so adamant on changing my gear to suit them, I'd have ditched them a while back if I didn't, because I honestly feel once I have this treble issue sorted, I'll prefer these to my HE-500's.

From what others have reported, I feel that both the FocusPad A's and a warmer amp should sort these out perfectly to outmatch the HE-500's. If it improves things enough, I might see how much I can get out of further modding. If anyone has any input regarding changing the pads in combination with a warm amp and the overall impact, I'd love to hear it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back