HE-400 and the next step: Moving up from the modi/magni stack
Dec 8, 2014 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Maverickmonk

500+ Head-Fier
Alright, I've been happy with my Modi/Magni stack for quite a while. But I wanted to check in to see if there was a next step up from that. Specifically, is there a brighter tube amp that the HE-400 works well with? No real price range, just curious, but if I were to get one it would have to be on the "not more than the headphones" side of the spectrum. I've always wanted to try tubes, but I worry the HE-400 might get too dark with them. Is the Lyr still the end game for these phones? Is the difference that noticeable, or would I be better spent fixing my desires with a new turntable cart and a pair of Grado's to play with.

Dec 10, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 16
I'm going to bump this like a noob. Any thoughts?

Dec 12, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #3 of 16
I own a Modi; haven't heard the Magni in my own system. Best advice I can give is to start by ditching the Modi. I use mine in a relatively benign application. As a primary source, it leaves a lot to be desired. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone who cares about sound quality. Good luck.

Dec 12, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #4 of 16
If you're looking for a step up from Magni/Modi, the first thing I suggest is finding new headphones. You might be able to find other amps that work with the HE-400, but if you really want a change, headphones will give it.

As for tubes with the HE-400, it would have to be a hybrid design. Those planar magnetic drivers want a lot of current, and solid state amps (like Magni) are very good at providing said current. Tubes are better at getting high voltages for high impedance loads.

I am sure that the HE-400 will pair well with a Lyr, but buying a $450 amp is not going to make your $300 headphones sound like $750 headphones. Start with new headphones, then consider a new amp.

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #5 of 16
If you're looking for a step up from Magni/Modi, the first thing I suggest is finding new headphones. You might be able to find other amps that work with the HE-400, but if you really want a change, headphones will give it.

As for tubes with the HE-400, it would have to be a hybrid design. Those planar magnetic drivers want a lot of current, and solid state amps (like Magni) are very good at providing said current. Tubes are better at getting high voltages for high impedance loads.

I am sure that the HE-400 will pair well with a Lyr, but buying a $450 amp is not going to make your $300 headphones sound like $750 headphones. Start with new headphones, then consider a new amp.

Sounds reasonable enough, although after upgrading one component that will likely be it for a year or two, so it would have to be a high end headphone that sounds good with a budget stack.

Although if I just got off my butt and finished the high shelf m^3 build I started years ago, I'm sure that would be enough amp for anything...

Dec 12, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #6 of 16
And just like that, A surprise new Modi/Magni stack is out. By the Specs the Modi Uber could be a bit of an improvement. Might have to check it out.

Dec 13, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #7 of 16
  And just like that, A surprise new Modi/Magni stack is out. By the Specs the Modi Uber could be a bit of an improvement. Might have to check it out.

We're in the exact same position. Two years ago, I bought an HE-400 with a Magni / comparable dac to Modi and have enjoyed the heck out of the combo since. It just performs so well with edm and anything fast paced; no detail gets lost, even in the most crowded of songs. 

However, like most, I find the high mids lacking. Every now and then I find myself looking to sit back and relax with some classical, acoustic / female vocals and, while it still sounds great with the HE-400, I find too much emphasis being placed on the drums rather than guitar / vocals. So, the upgrade bug bit me and the last few days I've been scouring the site for the best bang for my buck can that will do the job.

For a while, I thought maybe a new amp or dac would be exciting to hear, if not at least look at and know that I've got a nice piece of equipment. I've been dissuaded from that though, I think new cans, whether it be a side-grade or upgrade to the HE400 is the solution. Once I find the right headphone, I'll determine if my humble little stack is enough to get it sounding great. If not, I'll pick something out to do it justice.

Some phones I've been looking at recently:

Sennheiser HD600/HD650
Shure SRH940
HiFiMAN HE-500
AKG K7XX (although they do have a dip in the upper mid range, I keep hearing how great of a deal the massdrop is)
Philips Fidelio X2
And lots of other stuff :S

I wish I had infinite money so I wouldn't agonize for weeks over making a choice lol

Let us know which way you decide to go! :)

Dec 13, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #8 of 16

We're in the exact same position. Two years ago, I bought an HE-400 with a Magni / comparable dac to Modi and have enjoyed the heck out of the combo since. It just performs so well with edm and anything fast paced; no detail gets lost, even in the most crowded of songs. 

However, like most, I find the high mids lacking. Every now and then I find myself looking to sit back and relax with some classical, acoustic / female vocals and, while it still sounds great with the HE-400, I find too much emphasis being placed on the drums rather than guitar / vocals. So, the upgrade bug bit me and the last few days I've been scouring the site for the best bang for my buck can that will do the job.

For a while, I thought maybe a new amp or dac would be exciting to hear, if not at least look at and know that I've got a nice piece of equipment. I've been dissuaded from that though, I think new cans, whether it be a side-grade or upgrade to the HE400 is the solution. Once I find the right headphone, I'll determine if my humble little stack is enough to get it sounded great. If not, I'll pick something out to do it justice.

Some phones I've been looking at recently:

Sennheiser HD600/HD650
Shure SRH940
HiFiMAN HE-500
AKG K7XX (although they do have a dip in the upper mid range, I keep hearing how great of a deal the massdrop is)
And lots of other stuff :S

I wish I had infinite money so I wouldn't agonize for weeks over making a choice lol

What pads are you using? While the bass extends deep with the HE-400's, with a pair of velour pads the highs are certainly not muted. The sound signature is remarkably similar to that of a woody modified Grado, just with more bass extension. I did however find the pleather pads to be "damp" sounding, although slightly bassier.

The new Uber stacks certainly do look nice though. I may pick up the Modi2 uber and use that, try to finish my M^3, and decide what to do there. M^3 + HE-500 might be my eventual goal...

Dec 13, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #9 of 16
  What pads are you using? 

I have tried the pleathers, velours, and the J$ lambskins. I agree that the high's aren't muted at all, in fact, depending on the track, the treble can be rather fatiguing and are very prominent. Sometimes a shrill snaredrum beat makes me flinch lol

You don't find the upper mids lacking though? To me, female vocals can get easily lost behind the brilliance of the instruments in the track. Male vocals don't really have that problem, they seem really forward to me. 

Dec 13, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #10 of 16
Anyone looking for an upgrade to the HE-400 should check out the HE-400i. I haven't personally tried it, but it's supposed to be lighter, better sounding, and more comfortable (partly to the better headband). It might not be the kind of upgrade that an HE-500 would be, but it's at least worth checking out.

Dec 13, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #11 of 16
  I have tried the pleathers, velours, and the J$ lambskins. I agree that the high's aren't muted at all, in fact, depending on the track, the treble can be rather fatiguing and are very prominent. Sometimes a shrill snaredrum beat makes me flinch lol

You don't find the upper mids lacking though? To me, female vocals can get easily lost behind the brilliance of the instruments in the track. Male vocals don't really have that problem, they seem really forward to me. 

I've had the silibance issue on some poorly mastered tracks as well, but not terribly so. I've been, for the most part, happy with the upper mids. They seem fairly smooth to me, although not as sweet as they were out of my vintage AKG Sextettes (But then again, those were the best mids I'v ever heard from headphones). Like I said though, I've still been contemplating picking up a Grado to play with for just such music.

The He-400i seems like a lot to lay out for a small upgrade, since the comfort hasn't bothered me. (Especially since I would lose quite a bit selling my 400's now compared to what I paid for them used 2 years ago). But like I said, a $500+ upgrade of any sort is at least a few years away.

Dec 13, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #12 of 16
Quick update, I just ordered a pair of HD600's from Adorama because they had a $260.00 shipped special. I have to wait until the 25th to play with them, but I'm looking forward to it :)

Dec 13, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #14 of 16
260? It says 399 on their website..

It's a Slick Deals promo. 

http://slickdeals.net/?pno=139762&lno=1&afsrc=1&trd=Adorama

If you're interested, follow that link and use the code SD12142014 at checkout. For some reason, the code doesn't work unless you goto adorama through the slickdeals link

The deal is on the front page of reddit.com/r/headphones atm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back