HDV 820 Sample rate question.
Nov 15, 2018 at 6:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SMOKEYoriginal

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, few weeks ago I bought a new Sennheiser HDV 820 amplifier with HD 800s headphones. I'm not skilled in these things but I would like to ask if there is any possible way get Windows output of 384 000Hz sample rate instead of actual 192 000Hz? I noticed that MacOS is using 384 000Hz sample rate when connected to PC. So I'm just being curious if its somehow possible to get 384k on Windows? Thank you in advance. :)

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #2 of 9
With Windows and the correct drivers, the best samplerate is set automatically, depending on the source. In contrast with Mac OS X where you have to do this manually (though, players like Audirvana+ can to this for you).

Check the USB that came with the 820 for Windows drivers.

Dec 16, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #3 of 9
With Windows and the correct drivers, the best samplerate is set automatically, depending on the source. In contrast with Mac OS X where you have to do this manually (though, players like Audirvana+ can to this for you).

Check the USB that came with the 820 for Windows drivers.
Yes I used a driver from Sennheiser. I was just curious to know if there is any possible way to get a higher sample rate than 192kHz but... it doesnt really matter I guess. Most of music you find is in quality of 44kHz or 96kHz. Of course there is a lot of music in much higher quality. Got some 192kHz FLAC music or even DSF files. MAC does support 384kHz sample rate so I'm wondering if there would be a big difference playing DFS music where your output is 192kHz and 384kHz.

Dec 16, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #4 of 9
MAC does support 384kHz sample rate so I'm wondering if there would be a big difference playing DFS music where your output is 192kHz and 384kHz.

For FLAC with regular PCM, I would say no, I can't hear any difference. 192 kHz is, IMHO, as good as it gets for music listening (but some in here sure would say it's not good enough).

DSF/DSD encoded in the DAC we're talking about MHz, not kHz, but some say it can be compared with 24-bit/88.2kHz PCM when comparing dynamic range.

Dec 17, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #5 of 9
For FLAC with regular PCM, I would say no, I can't hear any difference. 192 kHz is, IMHO, as good as it gets for music listening (but some in here sure would say it's not good enough).

DSF/DSD encoded in the DAC we're talking about MHz, not kHz, but some say it can be compared with 24-bit/88.2kHz PCM when comparing dynamic range.
Sorry, by saying "output is 192kHz and 384kHz" I meant windows output, not actual output of DSD. Well with my headset listening to master quality I can hear sometimes that the music could have sounded better in certain things. For example album "Imagine Dragons - Origins" song "Digital" from 1:20min I feel like the overall quality could have sounded better and every sound that you hear could be reproduced more detailed. But that's just me, maybe its intended? I'm not gonna judge, I'm just regular person listening to music. Lol I'm not a musician. :D

Dec 17, 2018 at 3:43 AM Post #7 of 9
A higher samplerate would not fix this. Your issue with the sound quality is somewhere in the chain, from the recording/mastering of the song itself, to the DAC, amp, headphones etc. Good Hi-Fi/High end is a double edged sword: You hear it all, including bad recordings/mastering (which could be intentional, it's art after all).

Dec 17, 2018 at 4:55 AM Post #8 of 9
Dec 17, 2018 at 4:58 AM Post #9 of 9
A higher samplerate would not fix this. Your issue with the sound quality is somewhere in the chain, from the recording/mastering of the song itself, to the DAC, amp, headphones etc. Good Hi-Fi/High end is a double edged sword: You hear it all, including bad recordings/mastering (which could be intentional, it's art after all).
Sure, in the end I'm satisfied with purchase of this audio set. I'm also interested to compare my HD800s with Focal Utopia. I will try to check for some youtube videos, guess I will find some reviews. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back