HDTV as Monitor
Jan 2, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #2 of 14
IF it's 1080p and you have a way to connect via HDMI (such as DVI to hdmi connector)
It works amazingly well, though i'll have to recommend it for movies (but blu-ray won't work. blast it) and gaming. General computing WILL work but it cumbersome because your still scaling a 1080 resolution way up so text can be hard to read unless you scale everything up.

So yes it will work, but not as a serious solution unless your HDTV isn't that big and is pretty close to you.

But damn does Crysis look amazing on a tv.

Jan 2, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #3 of 14
I am currently using a Sony 40inch 1080p HDTV for my main monitor, there are goods and bads about it, however.

HDTVs are picky for their signals, so it can be a pain to setup. You'd have to play with your video card driver as well as the HDTV to get the right settings and that can take some time, and most of the time you won't be able to find any help on the internet because there's just isn't enough people setting up their HDTV that way... yet. Even more headaches if you want to do audio through your video card to HDTV (yes it is possible to do SPDIF audio through DVI port to HDMI, depends on your video card).

If everything goes well though, it's all worth it. My Sony output some really nice colors, fast response time and massive screen (imagine you'd have to turn your head to move from edge to edge). Playing a game with the HDTV and 2 feet away is... stunning.

Personally I find my 40inch HDTV a tad too big for a monitor, I'd say 32-37inch would be more ideal.

Jan 2, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #4 of 14
Oh yeah, and currently save for a few monitors, it's the only way to experience 120Hz with a computer.

I didn't have any problem with my GTX for spdif audio or video via HDMI. Assuming most nVidia products should work good here.

Jan 3, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #5 of 14
I'm in the same position as Ixxl, using a large HDTV (42" 120hz LG) for a monitor in a very close up position.

Just be sure to get a good HDTV and not the cheapest you can find for your size. My 27" Samsung looks absolutely horrible as a monitor, with awful colors, text, etc. My 42" LG, however, is damn near perfect, and is just as good as my Dell 22". Oh, and 120hz is nifty for gaming.

And contrary to Ixxl, I must say that 42" is just fine for very, very close use (standard computer desk setup). After a month I've adjusted very easily and it's just as accessible as my old 22" monitor, and a few days I find myself thinking it's too small (the hell?). Typing up papers on this thing is pretty hilariously awesome, as well.

Jan 3, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #6 of 14
I'd like to see photos of your guys setups. I assume you just have your set mounted on the wall and your desk underneath it.

I like the solution, BUT I find myself just wanting a 30" monitor instead, added resolution (twice that of 1080p) instead of size.

To that end it would be nice to have a 40" monitor, but I know none that have the 30" monitors resolution.

Jan 3, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #7 of 14
This is an old setup that I used to have, I have better audio equipments now for sure.

But yes reading text has been a lot easier on the HDTV, it's been great reading head-fi forums.

Rig_1.jpg

Jan 3, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #8 of 14
Here's my setup... sharp aquos 42" 1080p
Works great! Use it for 1080p movies / bluray movies etc...
It's connected to HP slimline quadcore with hdmi / coax to pioneer amp -7.1 surround Klipsch speakers... the speakers on the coffee table was for testing.

L

Jan 3, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by lxxl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is an old setup that I used to have, I have better audio equipments now for sure.

But yes reading text has been a lot easier on the HDTV, it's been great reading head-fi forums.

Rig_1.jpg

Wow... the Sony TV is really close! You never get headaches or anything??
_____L

Jan 3, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #10 of 14
It's a LCD, it shouldn't be any different then your LCD monitor (now if that's a CRT I'd have a massive eye strain and headache).

Jan 3, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by lxxl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a LCD, it shouldn't be any different then your LCD monitor (now if that's a CRT I'd have a massive eye strain and headache).

True , same technology as the LCD monitors for the most part... I found mine to be a bit bright
wink.gif
- so I guess just turn brightness down a bit for close-field.
beyersmile.png

Jan 3, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #13 of 14
I currently swapped from a 22" Dell (1920x1080) monitor to a 40" Samsung HDTV (1920x1080). I did have to calibrate the TV a little (the Dell was perfect) but after that I find it excellent. I only use it with a VGA connector from my laptop so probably not getting the best use out of it, though, in all honesty I can say that the picture is rock-solid perfect - Maybe if i had digital out I wouldn't have had to calibrate the TV.

I sit about 8-9 foot away and it's perfect, no strain to see or read text and I don't have to move my head to look at it.

I don't use my laptop to play HD movies or anything along those lines (too slow). I use it for general net browing, cd ripping, etc and it's fine. I had no issues with setup either, plugged in and went, no driver hassle or resolution or refresh rate probs.

Can't see me going back now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back