HDTracks?
Nov 29, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #31 of 33
Thanks Ronalde,

When I made that post back in 2011, the new JRiver downloader didn't exist. However, I am well aware of new JRiver downloader and have tried it in Crossover. It works, but, IMO, it's still a kludge. I will refrain from any ranting on the subject, but, it really shouldn't be that difficult or expensive to write a native Linux downloader (assuming they can't write one that is truly cross-platform). While HDTracks has no DRM, I imagine a lot of this has to do with the R.I.A.A.'s fear of Linux's lack of DRM in general and the smaller (but rapidly growing) Linux user base.

Nov 29, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #32 of 33
Well, I guess, only Optimus Prime & his folks can hear the difference of the Sound quality :)

Aug 15, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #33 of 33
OK, time for an update.  Perhaps I downloaded some of the up-sampled Redbook tracks from HDTracks, but as I said, I was not blown away.  I kept trying other tracks in PCM 24/96 and PCM 24/192.  They were better than CD quality, but IMO not worth the price they are charging.

My epiphany came when I downloaded some DSD files (Blue Coast, 2L, Channel Classics and Acoustic Sounds).  I had to get a new DAC to enable this.  Finally, I received the quality of music that I have been seeking.  The music comes alive again!  I would say that DSD has provided the most significant upgrade in audio quality that I have experienced over my many years of trying various hardware and software solutions - period.  

I know that there is a big discussion raging between proponents of PCM and supporters of DSD.  From what I have heard, I fall into the latter camp.  High resolution PCM is very nice, but properly recorded DSD is magical!

Quote:
  I have been experimenting with Hi Resolution files and have not been blown away.   I have done ABC comparisons of the same music with Hi Resolution files, Redbook and SACD and do not see a huge difference in the experience.  Frankly, Amarra Mini makes a bigger difference than Hi Resolution files.  I don't believe it is worth either the cost or the hassle to download Hi Resolution files.

So I did a little research to find out why:

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

I would be interested in the opinions of the audio engineers in our group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back