HDTracks Appreciation Thread
Sep 26, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #31 of 40
I just started on HDtracks the other day.  I already have 10 albums.  I used hd50get20 for 20% off $50 or more.

My impressions are things are just so much more detailed.  You can hear more texture, separation, sound stage.  Everything is just all around better.  I am listening on Denon MM400's either directly from MBP>DF or iPhone 6 Plus>NuForce iCON iDO.  Both are capable of 24/48, so I am trying to stick to that.  

My favorite example so far is pretty much all of Alabama Shakes - Sound and Color.  Just outstanding.  I listen to a broad range of music and my second batch was a range of rap, country and rock.  I was shocked on Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly, at the beginning of "Blacker the Berry" which I have played many times from the iTunes "mastered for iTunes" version.  The 24 bit version has a woman talking in the background clear as day.  Not sure if that was intentionally added to the 24 bit version or what the deal is.  I need to go back to the "normal" version now to see if anything is audible and just not clear.  Right now I'm listening to Brett Eldredge - Illinois which I have never heard before.  So far I like the music (country) and the detail and separation is just phenomenal.  Voices are so clear and you can hear the textures.  I will now be going to HDtracks first for all my music purchases.  And I'll thank my stars I bought the 128 gb iPhone!

Sep 27, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #32 of 40
  I just started on HDtracks the other day.  I already have 10 albums.  I used hd50get20 for 20% off $50 or more.

My impressions are things are just so much more detailed.  You can hear more texture, separation, sound stage.  Everything is just all around better.  I am listening on Denon MM400's either directly from MBP>DF or iPhone 6 Plus>NuForce iCON iDO.  Both are capable of 24/48, so I am trying to stick to that.  

My favorite example so far is pretty much all of Alabama Shakes - Sound and Color.  Just outstanding.  I listen to a broad range of music and my second batch was a range of rap, country and rock.  I was shocked on Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly, at the beginning of "Blacker the Berry" which I have played many times from the iTunes "mastered for iTunes" version.  The 24 bit version has a woman talking in the background clear as day.  Not sure if that was intentionally added to the 24 bit version or what the deal is.  I need to go back to the "normal" version now to see if anything is audible and just not clear.  Right now I'm listening to Brett Eldredge - Illinois which I have never heard before.  So far I like the music (country) and the detail and separation is just phenomenal.  Voices are so clear and you can hear the textures.  I will now be going to HDtracks first for all my music purchases.  And I'll thank my stars I bought the 128 gb iPhone!

There is something to be said for a cleaned up master and or a high res version of these albums,

I've been to multiple Head-Fi meets and very few vendors ever whip out their best 128 bit samples, 99% of the time it is CD quality and or more frequently high res that is sampled to sell HP's and or Amps/DAC's

The older albums on HDTracks can be found on DVD-A or SACD, some are rare and expensive.
These albums were often fleshed out cuts by the artists or direct masters.

The newer albums on HDTracks are still better than the conventional CD/iTunes/<320 bit ripped off the web, so something is different and for my taste better about what they have to offer

Dec 28, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #33 of 40
More updates:

ELO "Face The Music"
        "ELO"
        "Eldorado"
        "A New World Record"

24/96 outstanding recordings, and beautifully rendered to digital

Warren Zevon "Excitable Boy" 

24/96 highly recommended and on par with clean vinyl

I am currently using all my HDTracks downloads on the Astell & Kern MK100ll, full seamless transfers including album covers and listings 

Feb 8, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #34 of 40
As this is a HDTracks Appreciation Thread I would like to post my experience with HDTracks' customer support.

I lost my files or better my back up was damaged and I friendly and polite asked for a back up of my purchased files at HDTracks - wrote 2 emails and 2 reminders no answer at all.

I don't know if I like this kind of making business.

Best, wd

Feb 14, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #35 of 40
  As this is a HDTracks Appreciation Thread I would like to post my experience with HDTracks' customer support.

I lost my files or better my back up was damaged and I friendly and polite asked for a back up of my purchased files at HDTracks - wrote 2 emails and 2 reminders no answer at all.

I don't know if I like this kind of making business.

Best, wd

They have changed the promo code and redemption process as well, slow to answer emails or no answers at all.  
Either they have grown too big or understaffed. 

Mar 13, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #36 of 40

They have changed the promo code and redemption process as well, slow to answer emails or no answers at all.  
Either they have grown too big or understaffed. 

I was going to ask if someone has an experience with lost files before.  It looks like I won't be able to get a response from them.  I accidentally deleted my folder by mistake right after my download of a $40 album, before I could do any backup.  Looks like that is a goner!

Mar 14, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #37 of 40

I was going to ask if someone has an experience with lost files before.  It looks like I won't be able to get a response from them.  I accidentally deleted my folder by mistake right after my download of a $40 album, before I could do any backup.  Looks like that is a goner!

Keep emailing them, they'll respond eventually

Jan 20, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #40 of 40
i was thinking of getting some Hi-res files and so was checking out HDTracks as a potential source to see if I liked listening to hi res files vs. my traditional PCM.

Did anyone have an issue with their privacy policy?

Once you have registered with us, we may also collect other information about you, including your transactions with us, your service usage patterns, such as the pages on the HDtracks.com Website you have visited, searches you have conducted on our site and the amount of time you have spent on our Website. If you contact us, we may keep a record of your correspondence. If you have registered with us, we may collect information about what music files you possess on the PC you use to sign up with our service and any other PC's networked to that PC. We may also collect information regarding where you obtained that music. We may collect information concerning the bit rate of the encode of music files contained on your PC and/or any PC connected to that PC

I certainly don't feel like being a customer should give them the ability to see all my music files on both my PC and network - seems a bit intrusive so I decided to keep looking elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back