HDP-R10 questions
Jul 28, 2013 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

biyectivo

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I just got home from the US, I finally bought the HDP-R10 via Amazon and had it delivered to my hotel there.

There are some questions I would be grateful if anyone could answer as support on the HDP-R10 seems to be scarce and in Japanese only (which I don't read).

1. How do I update the firmware? I found a thread in this forum related to DX100 in which they explain how to do it for the DX100, but I wonder if the same files work for the DX100? I would think they don't. Where could I get the files? I tried navigating the Hibinio page but I cannot comprehend it.
  2. One difference I infer from PDF manual posted in the thread above (vs the HDP) is that the DX100 apparently runs a full Android port and the HDP has a modified, limited version. For example, there is no Android Market, options are limited, etc. Is there a way around this? In particular the user interface is horrible and I would love to try other Android music players with this hardware.
  3. I have also read the Rockbox firmware modification (http://www.rockbox.org/) is amazing. I see that work has begun on a Google Android port. Is there a way to get to contribute so the port gets finished? I would contribute some money to get this finished and be able to run it here.

By the way audio quality is amazing, I'm using it with the Sennheiser HD600 and it sounds beautiful. I wish it was smaller and lighter but there you go :)
Thanks for your help.

Jul 30, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #4 of 30
Quote:
Also, can anyone comment about how the R10's UI compares to the DX100?

As far as I am concerned, both UI are about the same. But as can be seen from the photo, the R10's initial screen has more features than the DX100. Screen sensitivity to me is the same. The on/off and volume buttons are stiffer on the DX100. I am not sure if it was intended to be so for all R10s, but my R10's buttons are softer to the touch.

R10 on the left.

Jul 30, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

As far as I am concerned, both UI are about the same. But as can be seen from the photo, the R10's initial screen has more features than the DX100. Screen sensitivity to me is the same. The on/off and volume buttons are stiffer on the DX100. I am not sure if it was intended to be so for all R10s, but my R10's buttons are softer to the touch.

R10 on the left.

The buttons need some "breaking in" and after that they are not stiff at all. 

Jul 30, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #6 of 30
Quote:
The buttons need some "breaking in" and after that they are not stiff at all. 

It may be true to some extent but my DX100 has been with me since last year and the buttons are much stiffer than the R10 which I bought a few months ago. So I am wondering if this is consistent across all R10s and DX100s or is it variable. Personally, I prefer the stiffer buttons because it is not so easy to accidentally increase the volume when in a bag or when hand holding the device.

Jul 30, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #7 of 30
It may be true to some extent but my DX100 has been with me since last year and the buttons are much stiffer than the R10 which I bought a few months ago. So I am wondering if this is consistent across all R10s and DX100s or is it variable. Personally, I prefer the stiffer buttons because it is not so easy to accidentally increase the volume when in a bag or when hand holding the device.
I have never done that so it should be fine.

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:
It feels a bit unpolished and it does not help that the touchscreen sensitivity is not silky smooth. I also feel it's a bit slow.

Thanks, biyectivo. Some of your difficulties are surely related to the DAP's Android underpinnings. Apparently, both the DX100 and the HDP-R10 use Android 2.3.1, which is almost notorious for its unresponsiveness.

On the subject of responsiveness, it seems you're not getting many answers to your questions. You might try other HDP-R10 threads; I just posted to this one.

Regards,
Brian

Aug 1, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:
There are some questions I would be grateful if anyone could answer as support on the HDP-R10 seems to be scarce and in Japanese only (which I don't read).

1. How do I update the firmware? I found a thread in this forum related to DX100 in which they explain how to do it for the DX100, but I wonder if the same files work for the DX100? I would think they don't. Where could I get the files? I tried navigating the Hibinio page but I cannot comprehend it.
  2. One difference I infer from PDF manual posted in the thread above (vs the HDP) is that the DX100 apparently runs a full Android port and the HDP has a modified, limited version. For example, there is no Android Market, options are limited, etc. Is there a way around this? In particular the user interface is horrible and I would love to try other Android music players with this hardware.

Here is the download page for firmware version 8.0.2 :

http://www.hibino-intersound.co.jp/information/3349.html

I can't really remember the process of installing the firmware but it should be something like this : Download and put the new firmware in the root (main) directory of the R10. The device should detect it automatically. Good idea to check your device first to see if your firmware is an older version or not 
biggrin.gif

Yes, it is true that the DX100 has a bit more apps than the R10. Play store has been removed deliberately. I read somewhere that there is a way to get it back but sorry I can't help you here. I am not bothered too much with adding other apps. The music player on the R10 is very good - to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back