HDMI -> USB - any point?
Jun 20, 2009 at 1:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Philski

100+ Head-Fier
I just noticed a new option in my sound settings, not quite sure why it's arrived, but I have been downloading a load of new drivers for my laptop... anyway, I now have an option to use my HDMI port as a 'High Definition Audio Device'. I'm wondering if there is such a thing as an HDMI to USB cable, and if so, whether connecting it into my DAC will give any improvement in SQ? I'm guessing that it's more about the quality of the output signal, which might not be compromised through the USB connection I currently use, so even if the HDMI output can handle higher resolution, it's just overkill and won't make any difference. Does anyone know for sure?

HDMI.jpg

Jun 21, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #4 of 6
HDMI is not better nor worse, it's just a different application... More suited for a surround sound processor (read: receiver)

Jun 21, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #5 of 6
You could put HDMI out of your computer (if the connector is back there that is) to a receiver with an HDMI input. I bet it would play your music too.

What I don't know, but seriously suspect, is that you could not make it a word perfect digital transfer. I bet that the HDMI output in most instances is set to the 48 mhz, not the 44.1 we strive for, which is the native CD frequency.

I would also think that it would work great for DVDa playing, if your computer playback system allows it. (I know this did not work several years ago. Does it now?)

I would not consider it to be worth the trouble myself.

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by revolink24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can have digital HDMI output that isn't DRM'd.

from what I understand, being an hdmi peer (at least one that does hdcp) means you have to have signed an NDA and gotton a key from the industry to use in your 'node'.

this is the farthest thing from 'open' and even anti-diy friendly.

also, splitting out audio from the hdmi stream is not trivial, its embedded in the data frames and not just 'riding along' in some sidecar set of wires (as it should have been!)

I avoid hdmi for anything other than video. and even video has problems if you don't do the 'hdmi dance' in the right order (powering on the tv, first, and then having the remote peer power on and be able to see the tv, to let it fully init itself). many times I have to 'reboot 'my tv if the streamer (popcorn hour box) is already on and yet the tv goes from a power-off state to power-on. in those cases I have to re-cycle the tv to get the 'hdmi handshake' to work. the dance. sigh...

hdmi is too much trouble to use it for audio. blech. stick with spdif.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back