HDMI Splitter Quality loss?
Sep 29, 2013 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dantheman9999

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Recently I set up my surround system and it sounds great however I am using an Onkyo 804 which has known issues when it comes to outputting 1080p video to my HDTV.  I get a black flickering screen periodically when I use my PS3 or my cable box, but the sound is fine.  Apparently it is a hardware issue with the receiver.  I was about ready to sell it and get a new receiver but i'm thinking that my solution could be to to get an HDMI splitter and send my audio from my PS3 to the receiver and send the video straight to my HDTV.  Will I lose any quality in either audio or video by doing this?  Is this possible to do even?

Thank you,

Daniel

Oct 1, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #2 of 4
I was hunting around online and found this splitter from Sewell: http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Powered-Splitter-Certified-Up-1080p/dp/B003B4O7NS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1380669250&sr=1-1&keywords=sewell+hdmi+splitter

I believe this will do the trick from what it says in the description.  Does anyone have experience with HDMI splitters and can comment?  Or does anyone have any other suggestions?  

I would use optical and not have to worry about splitting the HDMI but from what I have read optical can't send the uncompressed HD audio signals.  Only HDMI can.  I'm just looking for a solution that will maintain my uncompressed audio without having to replace my receiver.

Thanks!

Daniel

Oct 1, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #3 of 4
  Recently I set up my surround system and it sounds great however I am using an Onkyo 804 which has known issues when it comes to outputting 1080p video to my HDTV.  I get a black flickering screen periodically when I use my PS3 or my cable box, but the sound is fine. Apparently it is a hardware issue with the receiver.  I was about ready to sell it and get a new receiver but I'm thinking that my solution could be to to get an HDMI splitter and send my audio from my PS3 to the receiver and send the video straight to my HDTV.  Will I lose any quality in either audio or video by doing this?  Is this possible to do even?

S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) maximum thruput, using DDL or DTS compression, is 6-channels 24-bit/48Khz digital audio, which I'm guessing is fine for console gaming.
HDMI can pass 24-bit/192Khz of 8-channels of PCM (uncompressed) digital audio.
Which I believe Blu-ray movies can take advantage of.

Personally, I would invest in a different A/V receiver (I sold off my Onkyo when I got my Yamaha)
My Yamaha RX-V671 A/V receiver comes with Silent Cinema, Yamaha's headphone surround sound, Accessories 4 Less sells a refurb for $319.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back