HDMI & HDTV picture quality questions, need help
Aug 23, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #16 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riboge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The way to get the best quality in your rig is to go hdmi from the cable box and from the bluray directly to your lcd monitor, if it has two hdmi inputs. Then you switch input settings on the monitor rather than on the receiver for video and switch the receiver input for sound. Passing thru the receiver inevitably adds noise and distortion to some degree, as with any situation where another component is interposed.

Component can pass 1080i but not 1080p. HDMI is required for the latter. HDMI can also carry the audio, but only more recent cable boxes, receivers and monitors are able to use the hdmi audio. Others require separate audio cables.

Besides the cost of new cables, the other reason I did this was to simplify my life. I wanted a short and sweet explanation for my wife so she would be able to use the AVS w/o asking me a question every few minutes.
confused.gif

Aug 23, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #17 of 44
I have three HDTV cable boxes in my home. For the one in the kitchen we used component video and I knew that I had to go with HDMI in the living room and bedroom. There is a noticeable difference. (don't let anybody tell you that there isn't a difference!) When you get your box from the cable company you have to specify that you want the newest box that they have with HDMI output or they'll give you the non-HDMI box every time. (at least in my local area, they will...)

Aug 24, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #18 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riboge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Component can pass 1080i but not 1080p.

not entirely true... certain devices can send 1080p over component (i can only think of the xbox360 and possibly the PS3) and certain TVs can accept 1080p over component

Aug 24, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #20 of 44
Aug 24, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #21 of 44
It can go either way in the case of something like a very good DVD player, where the analog video outputs might be better than the video decoder/scaler in the TV. But in the case of an inexpensive cable box versus a new HDTV, the HDTV will almost certainly be the best choice, so HDMI is probably the best bet.

Aug 24, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #22 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OP, HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

Surprised no one linked that yet.

Thanks man! I just bough a 46" Samsung 1080P for the bedroom, and was looking for a good place to buy the accessories for wiring it! I just got a comcast HDTV/DVR and am using the composite cables that came with it. I plan to go HDMI when I mount it on the wall though. This is a great thread. I was wondering the same thing.

Aug 26, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #23 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this only applies to DVD upconversion and any HD-DVD or Bluray titles with the image constraint token activated (i only know of a couple of import hd-dvds that do)

component will handle HD output up to 1080i on all HDTVs and 1080p on models that support 1080p over component (provided the source device can send 1080p over component)

and if your HDTV reciever has HDMI out there is no reason not to use it... though i recommend buying your cables from monoprice... you can get HDMI cables considerably cheaper from them than any retail store (why pay $30-100 for a cable when you can get a decent cable for under $10)

If you search around at AVSForum, you'll find that the monoprice hdmi 1.3 cables are equivalent or often better than all the high end cables.

Aug 26, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #24 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you search around at AVSForum, you'll find that the monoprice hdmi 1.3 cables are equivalent or often better than all the high end cables.

your point?

Aug 27, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #25 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
your point?

I think he was agreeing with you in a roundabout kind of way. lol

Aug 27, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #26 of 44
There are some other factors to consider. In my case, HDMI out of my cable box is a little buggy. It would take several seconds to switch between HD channels and occasionally I would get no picture at all, at which point I would have to switch the box off and on. This is definitely a cable box issue as I don't have the problem with my DVD player. I don't notice any difference between HDMI and component. Also, HDMI doesn't have the capability to carry closed caption signals.

Aug 27, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #27 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are some other factors to consider. In my case, HDMI out of my cable box is a little buggy. It would take several seconds to switch between HD channels and occasionally I would get no picture at all, at which point I would have to switch the box off and on. This is definitely a cable box issue as I don't have the problem with my DVD player. I don't notice any difference between HDMI and component. Also, HDMI doesn't have the capability to carry closed caption signals.

The first issue you have there is likely a HDCP sync timing issue. It was a fairly big issue with earlier equipment, but most newer equipment has ironed out the bugs there.

As for CC, it's not a HDMI thing so much as it's a HD thing. HD output from sources, whether HDMI, VGA, or component, don't have provisions for a CC data stream. Instead, it's up to the player to convert the CC data into video data and overlay it onto the video stream before sending to the TV. Most newer cable boxes do this just fine, though there's occasionally a bit of trickery in accessing the specific menu functions. Inexpensive upscaling DVD players generally don't do this though.

Aug 27, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #28 of 44
A bit of an off topic question. To get HD to you just need to plug the TV to the wall connection? Or do you get like a set top box? (In the states)

Aug 27, 2008 at 11:23 AM Post #29 of 44
guyx,

We now have HD broadcast over the air so, with an antenna and an HDTV, you can watch HDTV for free. If you want HDTV through cable or satellite, you'll likely need a set-top box.

The PS3 definitely supports 1080p over component cables for games but you'll need an HDMI cable to watch Blurays in 1080p because of DRM. I can't remember if it will upscale DVDs to 1080p over component or if that also requires HDMI.

Where the HDMI cable becomes truly necessary is with the new "HD" audio codecs. Optical and coax do not have the bandwidth and you cannot (period) make use of the new codecs without HDMI.

Really though, with the covenience of running only one cable and the low prices of monoprice as previously linked, there really isn't any reason not to run HDMI.

Aug 28, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #30 of 44
If you buy cable or satellite, do you pay monthly or is it a one time charge?
Here it sucks !
To get HD you need to pay 15$/month and you get National Geographic HD, Eurosport HD, local Sport channel HD and a lame HD channel with mixed movies and series...
All the rest is SD and you have to pay for it about 70$/month for it :S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back