HDMI Audio vs. Line-Out Audio
Jan 11, 2014 at 10:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

thatBeatsguy

Headphoneus Supremus
     Hey guys, so I've been looking to get a good portable amp later this year for reviewing, but in the meantime I've been really looking for a good substitute. Since I always write my reviews right at home at the computer, I listen to the test tracks using the PC. However, I thought that the Line-Out's maximum volume for headphones is a little too low. My monitor has an output jack, which I might be able to use, and the output volume was really, really loud (even at about 30%).
     So my question is: does Line-Out sound better than HDMI-Out?

My soundcard is a Creative Sound Blaster 5.1VX, while my monitor is a Samsung SMBX2350, if it helps. Thanks in advance for your answers!

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #2 of 5
       Hey guys, so I've been looking to get a good portable amp later this year for reviewing, but in the meantime I've been really looking for a good substitute. Since I always write my reviews right at home at the computer, I listen to the test tracks using the PC. However, I thought that the Line-Out's maximum volume for headphones is a little too low. My monitor has an output jack, which I might be able to use, and the output volume was really, really loud (even at about 30%).

My soundcard is a Creative Sound Blaster 5.1VX, while my monitor is a Samsung SMBX2350, if it helps. Thanks in advance for your answers!

Sound better (isn't HDMI-Out a digital connection which transfers data 1:1 ... and which btw sounds terrible if you listen the data).

In your case, I suppose the SB has better quality (but output stage found in your monitor maybe suits better for your headphones and taste).

Jan 11, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #3 of 5

My sound card is a Creative Sound Blaster 5.1VX, while my monitor is a Samsung SMBX2350, if it helps. Thanks in advance for your answers!

The HDMI digital audio signal and the digital audio signal that is sent to the SB-5.1VX is really the same quality.
Chances are the monitor's DAC chip is very very low priced, so I doubt it would offer better audio quality.
It seems the Samsung monitor can feed more voltage to it's headphone output, then the sound card card to it's headphone output.
Replacing the Sound Blaster 5.1VX (relabeled Audigy SE) with the Asus Xonar DG sound card, $30 with $10 mail in rebate, should provide improved audio quality.

Jan 11, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 5
  The HDMI digital audio signal and the digital audio signal that is sent to the SB-5.1VX is really the same quality.
Chances are the monitor's DAC chip is very very low priced, so I doubt it would offer better audio quality.
It seems the Samsung monitor can feed more voltage to it's headphone output, then the sound card card to it's headphone output.
Replacing the Sound Blaster 5.1VX (relabeled Audigy SE) with the Asus Xonar DG sound card, $30 with $10 mail in rebate, should provide improved audio quality.

Wow, never realized that, so thanks a bunch! 
   After a lot of A/B testing both sources (switching from HDMI Out to Line Out) I noticed that both seemed to provide a similar sound. Sadly I don't think I could really purchase anything as of late (still a student), and I'm saving up for a portable amp to end this confusion, so thanks.
  But the Xonar DG looks interesting...wait, it has Dolby Headphone?! Now, color me impressed. Thanks a lot, meng!
beerchug.gif

Jan 12, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #5 of 5
HDMI is digital, so what's happening is the DAC and amp in the monitor are being used instead of the sound card.
I'd like to think that a dedicated sound card would be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back