HDCD Player
Jul 4, 2018 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

StoneJackBaller

New Head-Fier
Greetings, thanks for the add. I have a lot of Grateful Dead CD' in HDCD format. I like to use headphones most of the time and would like a small player for my headphones. Getting a Bluetooth connection would be great. Is there an HDCD decoder I could plug into my MacAir and use my Bluetooth? Google takes me in circles. I need to solid help. Thanks1.

Jul 5, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #2 of 8
Greetings, thanks for the add. I have a lot of Grateful Dead CD' in HDCD format. I like to use headphones most of the time and would like a small player for my headphones. Getting a Bluetooth connection would be great. Is there an HDCD decoder I could plug into my MacAir and use my Bluetooth? Google takes me in circles. I need to solid help. Thanks1.

BT will compress that anyway so you might as well look for a program that can rip HDCD to 320kbps MP3, after which you can use it on any BT headphones with the Macbook.

Jul 5, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #4 of 8
Seeking a portable HDCD player.

1. Doesn't exist. And even if 20bit/24bit Discmans were even widely produced, at best you'd have to hunt down one on eBay, then make sure to hunt down parts for when some mechanical part fails, same way people with older Marantz CDPs stock a whole bunch of those Philips CDM4 parts.

2. You can rip the HDCD to FLAC and use a DAP.

MP3 is not what I'm looking for, I have an iPod for that.

HF_18.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #6 of 8
I saw the players on eBay. I was hoping for an HDCD player for my headphones. I have plenty of HD files. I'm a Deadhead collector and have the all the Grateful Dead releases on CD, most are HDCD. I listen to them a lot and sound quality is fine. Searching for an old HDCD player on eBay is a roll of the dice.

Jul 5, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #7 of 8
I saw the players on eBay. I was hoping for an HDCD player for my headphones. I have plenty of HD files. I'm a Deadhead collector and have the all the Grateful Dead releases on CD, most are HDCD. I listen to them a lot and sound quality is fine. Searching for an old HDCD player on eBay is a roll of the dice.

That's mostly your only option other than audio forum used gear.

Aug 15, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #8 of 8
My solution to the portable HDCD disc player issue was to buy used Sony portable DVD players like the FX730 and FX810. When I lay an HDCD, "HDCD" is shown on the LCD monitor. Assuming these players use an internal 20/24 bit DAC, I assume I'm hearing the decoded HDCD via the headphone and/or lineouts. They also have SPDIF out for an external dac, and big rechargeable battery for long audio only play time. Bonus is playing DVD music concerts on the go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back