HDCD DAC?
Jul 14, 2003 at 2:03 AM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Whitebread
O, ok. So, if I were to record something at, say, a bit depth of 24 and a sampling requency of 92khz or greater, I could just rite it to a DVD, put it in a drive that can read a DVD and play it, provided the DAC can use all of the bits and the high sampling frequency.

I doubt it. Burning DVD-Video discs is a heckuva lot more complex than just copying an AVI; I would expect DVD-A discs to be similarly more complex than CDs (by design, the authors most likely did not want such easy copying as provided by CDs). If you can find a burning program that handles DVD-Audio, however, then the rest of your idea holds true. I'll do a quick google and see what I find.

EDIT: This (slightly outdated) URL goes over the basics. However, all of the software is non-free (that's a big deal to a Linux user, sue me). Search around, see what you find.

http://www.tape.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart...745+1017175303

Jul 14, 2003 at 3:59 AM Post #17 of 19
Thanks for the link. I don't have time right now, but I'll read up later.

Jul 15, 2003 at 2:51 AM Post #18 of 19
After auditioning a used Muse Model 2 DAC in a high end store, I bought one with HDCD decoding (and the mysterious Bessel filter) on Audiogon for half the price. The Muse Model 2 was Stereophile class B. After using a Denon DCM-370 as a transport, I upgraded to a Pioneer CD recorder with the Stable Platter Mechanism. The result was blacker blacks, better bass and more depth overall. Both pieces recommended.

BTW, in terms of the viability of HDCD vs. SACD or DVD-A, there's a whole lot more of what I want to listen to available in HDCD than the newer formats combined. And believe me, I've come close to buying an SACD machine... but how often am I gonna pull out Toto and Cyndi Lauper?!?
600smile.gif

Jul 15, 2003 at 3:14 AM Post #19 of 19
Bessel filter is not really mysterious. It just refers to the coefficients of the filter which in plain words means values of components (capacitors and resistors most often) in the filter. In fact you only need to change values of components and keep the same circuit topology if you want to change the type of filter.

The property of Bessel filter is that it has the most linear phase, or constant group delay, in its pass band (i.e. audio range). It is generally thought that this has the least impact on sound quality. Drawback is that frequency response is not as flat as say Butterworth filter, nor is the cutoff as sharp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back