HD800's, Wow....;-)
Feb 22, 2013 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

s4s4s4

Head-Fier
I have read so much.

Never thought the HD800 would be the headphone for me.

Based on my Listening with the amazing Bryston BHA-1, The HD800's are my favorite so far.

Really thought I would be an Audeze LCD-2 guy, and they are a special phone. There is something about them that I can't put my finger on, but what a fun enjoyable pair of cans. Think I may need to buy a pair of these too.

The HD800's however are just simply right, and ridiculously comfortable, I will continue listening to more phones but so far they are the ones for me. They are not bright, they are music to my ears. I can forget about something attached to my head and just enjoy the music. 

Again, so opposite of what I was expecting based on my reading.

Bottom line, stop reading and go listen.

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #2 of 13
Has anybody tried a 4 pin balanced cable on them with the BHA? any better results?

Feb 23, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #4 of 13
Your impressions mirror my own. We share amps as well. What source are you using?

I find them just right in the bright department. A headphone should be bright to some extent, otherwise the sound is dull and indistinct, such as with the LCD-2.

Feb 23, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #5 of 13
nothing too hi-end, jriver and a dragonfly

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
I have read so much.

Never thought the HD800 would be the headphone for me.

Based on my Listening with the amazing Bryston BHA-1, The HD800's are my favorite so far.

Really thought I would be an Audeze LCD-2 guy, and they are a special phone. There is something about them that I can't put my finger on, but what a fun enjoyable pair of cans. Think I may need to buy a pair of these too.

The HD800's however are just simply right, and ridiculously comfortable, I will continue listening to more phones but so far they are the ones for me. They are not bright, they are music to my ears. I can forget about something attached to my head and just enjoy the music. 

Again, so opposite of what I was expecting based on my reading.

Bottom line, stop reading and go listen.

Agreed, on...EVERY... SINGLE... POINT. And especially about the reading. 
normal_smile .gif

Mar 14, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #9 of 13
Maybe I should try this amp too, until now I haveallways prefered the tonality of LCD2 and HE6 even though my HD 800 had the greatest soundstage of all.

Mar 19, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
I have the same hand dragonfly+bha1+lcd2.2, I'm looking for $ 1,500 Daca who would be good for Bryston?

+1 for the BHA-1 and HD800. I loved them and the LCD-3 out of the BHA-1 but went the way of the LCD-3 due to my tastes. I think it's only a matter of time before I do get myself a pair of HD800's too lol.

As for a good DAC, get the BDA-1 or BDA-2 :wink:

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #11 of 13
I also have the BHA-1 and Hd800. I'm presently using a Wadia 16 CD player from like 15 years ago as my source. Expecting a Schiit Gungnir tomorrow but I think I'm gonna return it and get something better. I'm considering the Anedio D2, Benchmark DAC2 HGC, or the Eastern Electric DAC plus. Any advice?

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #12 of 13
Mac - Wyred4Sound DAC2 - Headroom Balanced Ultra Desktop AMP - Cardas Clear Balanced Cables - HD800

My HD800s have been on several amps now - Raptor, Apache, ZDT, but the current setup will be it for awhile, as the balance is just right.  The ZDT is pretty close, but a little too laid back, and my office was too hot with it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back