HD800s: What to expect, and should I keep my HD650s?
Apr 17, 2013 at 6:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

I3eyond

500+ Head-Fier
Getting HD800s within the next couple of months, and am curious as to what to expect with my current source/amp setup in my signature.

Also, to any HD800 owners who also have (or had HD650s): In your opinion, do you think I'll end up keeping the HD650s for certain music, or will the HD800s be the "do-it-all"?

Thanks,
-I3

Apr 17, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #2 of 11
With the right source/amp the HD800's are very versatile and IMO totally blow the HD650's, which I owned twice, away in every department. There really is no comparison. There is a big gulf in quality and character between the two.
If you are looking to keep a warm, dark, soft, laid back and forgiving sound then you might be better with the HD650's or maybe upgarde to the LCD2's (another massive improvement over the HD650's). Otherwise I would jump on the HD800 boat ASAP.

PS. I have never heard your source/amp so cannot vouch for synergy with the HD800's.

Apr 17, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #3 of 11
Gotcha.  I have considered the Woo Audio WA3 for my amplifier to replace the M-Stage (trying to keep the same footprint to fit on my desk). 

Though, some say that solid state amps seem to synergize better with the HD800s...?

I've wanted to give Tubes a try, though. . . 

Apr 19, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #4 of 11
I can't wait to get the HD800s!  I'm just very curious how synergy will be with my source/amp setup in my signature.....

Apr 19, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #5 of 11
If you don't need the money keep the HD 650s. They hold their value very well.

I don't know about you but the HD 650s are one of the only headphones I can use when I'm sick or just not feeling well (treble sensitivity).

Apr 19, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #6 of 11
If you don't need the money keep the HD 650s. They hold their value very well.

I don't know about you but the HD 650s are one of the only headphones I can use when I'm sick or just not feeling well (treble sensitivity).

They're also good whenever you're feeling too tired to bear the weight of planars for too long (such as when ill as mentioned or after getting out of the gym).

Apr 19, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #7 of 11
I love the HD650 sound; however, really want to Experience the HD800s.  I think I will keep my HD650s.......

Apr 19, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
I love the HD650 sound; however, really want to Experience the HD800s.  I think I will keep my HD650s.......

It's the reverse for me, only heard the hd800, but without caring of this "sinnergy" thing.
From what I've understood one obvious difference, and that could be the "deal breaker" for
some , is that the treble of hd650 is a tad recessed, while the hd800 is not.
Frankly I find the treble quite smooth, even if a bit emphasized.
For me, It's more the sub bass (i.e below 100 hz) that is lacking in quantity.

I'd suggest you try any headphone with  a treble  that is not recessed, without the need to spend big bucks,  and see if you like it. They are some people that find the hd650 "veiled", after that, and don't want to look back. But of course, a tamed treble, is great to prevent fatigue.

Apr 29, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #9 of 11
The HD650 and HD800 are quite good opposite sounding headphones to keep around. The LCD2's improve on the HD650 in 8/10 ways of sound reproduction and as you can see quite a lot of people have these two to keep there taste satisfied as well as myself but I also have a crap load of other headphones to keep myself company. If you're not lacking on fun's, I'd personally keep that HD650 and get a good complementing tube amp for it. I think nigeljames is overstating it a bit when he says "totally blows", quite a hyperbole to use as there are some areas an HD650 sounds better than the HD800 itself, powered by a very good amplifier, in my case I've heard the SP sds tube amp with the HD650 and I'd personally call it end game for myself if the amp were still in production.

Apr 29, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
The HD650 and HD800 are quite good opposite sounding headphones to keep around. The LCD2's improve on the HD650 in 8/10 ways of sound reproduction and as you can see quite a lot of people have these two to keep there taste satisfied as well as myself but I also have a crap load of other headphones to keep myself company. If you're not lacking on fun's, I'd personally keep that HD650 and get a good complementing tube amp for it. I think nigeljames is overstating it a bit when he says "totally blows", quite a hyperbole to use as there are some areas an HD650 sounds better than the HD800 itself, powered by a very good amplifier, in my case I've heard the SP sds tube amp with the HD650 and I'd personally call it end game for myself if the amp were still in production.

I recently got the chance to hear the HD650's again, for the first time balanced, with the Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable in my system.
This is a cable I also used for them single ended when I had them.
I have never heard them sound as good BUT there was still no area where they outperformed any of my other phones even though the HD800 were used single ended with stock cable.
People say they scale the heights when properly paired but all headphones will improve the better the source/amp. Also the cost of really getting the best out of the HD650's is probably more than the cost of the HD800's with a 'good' not best amp and the HD800's will probably still sound better unless you really want the sound character of the HD650's.
Maybe 'totally blows' is a bit harsh so lets just say the HD800's are better in every way IMO when both are properly amped.

Apr 29, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #11 of 11
Really feel like parting my HD800's. 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back