HD800S setup
May 1, 2019 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

BadDude

New Head-Fier
I'm facing a dilemma on a dac/amp to pair with my HD800S. After some research, I've managed to narrow down to HDV820, Benchmark DAC3 HGC, and Mytek Brooklyn DAC+.

I might upgrade my amp to WA22 in the future but will most likely not upgrade the dac anymore. My thought is that HDV820 is a better pair for HD800S than DAC3 and DAC+ but doesn't have a dac quite as good as them. That being said, should I get DAC3 or DAC+ for now as dac/amp and use them as a dac standalone once I get my hands on WA22?

Much appreciated!

May 1, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #2 of 3
How about just getting a Topping DX7s?
Waiting on my DX7s to be delivered.

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #3 of 3
How about just getting a Topping DX7s?
Waiting on my DX7s to be delivered.

Hi bro. I have topping dx7s and, i use it with hd800 and beyerdynamic t1 2nd.
The tooping has enough power to drive both hungry headphones (only at 65% of volume).
During the first 3 weeks, the sounds was a little "peaky" with hd800, but now, i feel the sound excellent. Obviously i hear only very good "mastered music" and with high bitrate (dsd64 and dsd128) and flacs.

When i connect the topping to tube amp (25 watts) the sound in the hd800 adquire more "body", i mean, it becomes warmth and a little "dirty-sound". But the dynamisn is the same. Maybe with other class A amp the connected to the dx7s the result is the same than my tube amp but with the same clean of the dx7s.

The only problem with the dx7s is the "usb interface" i think. Sometimes the native or DoP DSD stop working!!! I dont know why but is very annoying. I hope i will find the solution soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back