HD800 vs LCD-X vs HE-6 vs SR-007 for critical listening and monitoring purposes?
Jul 31, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #77 of 90
Here to help.
beerchug.gif

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #78 of 90
In my opinion for critical listening, the orthodynamic cans will have a distinct signature which can hinder the monitoring process

out of the ones u listed, the HD800s would be my pick as they the most neutral out of the bunch

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #79 of 90
I have both the sennheiser hd800 and audeze lcdx. if I have money to blow ill spend around building a gear around the sennheiser hd800 - with the right gear it is incredible . if I don't have the $$ - ill stick with the lcd-x as they can sound very good with less $$ on equipment .

but for the things u mentioned with the right gear - id say the hd800.

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #80 of 90

I agree! But that's the HD 800s you were hearing, not the amp. I've seen measurements of the M1HPA and along with the specs (provided they are truthful, of course. But they should be when it's such a major audio company like MF) there is nothing to imply the amp would bottleneck the HD 800s. A friend of mine who is an audio engineer also confirmed for me a few years ago the M1 is a solid buy for performance. 

I compared the M1 with the Burson HA-160 (using the HD800) and the latter was clearly the lesser performer. The sound was not as refined and had a tendency to get harsh, with somewhat distorted bass. This can be backed up with measurements I've seen on Innerfidelity of the Burson HA-160D. 

I'm not sure how I managed to gloss over this thread for so long, but I'm sure glad I finally got around to reading it.

I was kind of having a rough morning until I read this post.  The level of confident ignorance displayed here turned my frown upside down!

Aug 17, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #81 of 90
The lcd headphones are really excellent headphones regarding the choice for critical listening and monitoring headphones you can't have just one choice as all high end headphones have their own elements that they do best.

The bass and mids I'd choose lcd's for symphonic compositions with trebly instruments I'd listen with the hd800 perhaps... There was a thread talking about music composed using hd800 and it sounds just fine.

Anyway stop arguing and lcd-3 bass > hd800 evenn amped and sourced properly.

Feb 16, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #82 of 90
Hello
as a 49 y o ( french) self made sound engineer and voice talent for movies, tv, radio, and owning my pro recording studio,with the sr-007 and the hd 800, apart from many others like stax lambda signature, baby orpheus, akg 340, sony mdr sa 5000, etc;... I think ( sorry if I am repeating something someone said here, I had no time to read the whole post yet) that the hd 800 and the sr 007 are not good choices for monitoring. because they make sound so beautiful that everything you mix with them will finally sound odd, not to say sometimes ugly in other cans and on speakers. The best cans I have ever used for monitoring are the sony mdr sa 5000. Which I consider not as the best just to listen music to, because the reveal any defect. and because of that, what you mix with them will be perfect sounding on most of other systems. they lack many bass compared to the sr 007, for instance, but their curve is so flat and precise, ( they don't lack bass if you just listen to them alone, but if you compare it to the sr oo7) that you can balance everything with a strange feeling of it to be so easy! and in the end, when you listen to the final mix with any of the cans I have primarly listed in my post, you have nothing odd or unbalanced, and this is what you wanted to mix that gets into your ears.
you want to know what you mix ? that is the choice to make.
I had no opportunitty to test the sony mdr sa 3000, which is said to have the same drivers, but I d like to. and to try, also, the beyer T1, which is said to be disappointing to some people who find it too flat. that is exactly what sounds good to me when searching for top monitoring headphones. has anybody compared the sa 5000 with the T1 ? That would really interest me to read you about it. Thanks
Luc

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #83 of 90
  Hello
as a 49 y o ( french) self made sound engineer and voice talent for movies, tv, radio, and owning my pro recording studio,with the sr-007 and the hd 800, apart from many others like stax lambda signature, baby orpheus, akg 340, sony mdr sa 5000, etc;... I think ( sorry if I am repeating something someone said here, I had no time to read the whole post yet) that the hd 800 and the sr 007 are not good choices for monitoring. because they make sound so beautiful that everything you mix with them will finally sound odd, not to say sometimes ugly in other cans and on speakers. The best cans I have ever used for monitoring are the sony mdr sa 5000. Which I consider not as the best just to listen music to, because the reveal any defect. and because of that, what you mix with them will be perfect sounding on most of other systems. they lack many bass compared to the sr 007, for instance, but their curve is so flat and precise, ( they don't lack bass if you just listen to them alone, but if you compare it to the sr oo7) that you can balance everything with a strange feeling of it to be so easy! and in the end, when you listen to the final mix with any of the cans I have primarly listed in my post, you have nothing odd or unbalanced, and this is what you wanted to mix that gets into your ears.
you want to know what you mix ? that is the choice to make.
I had no opportunitty to test the sony mdr sa 3000, which is said to have the same drivers, but I d like to. and to try, also, the beyer T1, which is said to be disappointing to some people who find it too flat. that is exactly what sounds good to me when searching for top monitoring headphones. has anybody compared the sa 5000 with the T1 ? That would really interest me to read you about it. Thanks
Luc

T1 is unfortunately not flat, but quite bright. It sounds good until you get to the high notes, where everything falls apart. 

You should look into finding a used Grado HP1000. It was intended as a true monitoring headphone and it's up to the task. Revealing and very neutral. Neither bright nor dark with just a hair of roll-off at the very top and bottom of the frequency spectrum. It's still one of the most neutral headphones ever and it's also fantastic for music listening. It's kind of bulky though and usually expensive to get your hands on. 

May 30, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #87 of 90
HD800 is horrible for monitoring,high resolution? yes.... entertaining larger than life stereo image width? yes     freqency response? = 10 dollar grade headphones,it have one note mid bass and no subs...  earlier version had harsh treble new one have stupid high bass low midrange wide hump.Most important thing for monitoring is flat freqency response and extended bass

SR-007      just look up freqency response,far from flat

LCD -x is very good except the high freqencies            modded He-6 = flatter HF but not as flat mids & bass as X

May 31, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #89 of 90
The Sennheiser HD800 horrible for monitoring? Guess all the labels who are using the Sennheiser HD800 for producing must be doing something wrong then?

If producers can mix on the AKG K240, then the HD800 certaintly is great also considering it's alot more neutral and beats it in every other category. But speakers / studio monitors should be used anyway and use headphones to zoom in for micro details (which is were the HD800 excels at).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back