HD800 vs. HD800S for Mixing&monitoring
Nov 29, 2016 at 10:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

qkrzazzang

New Head-Fier
I'm planning to get myself a good pair of headphones for mixing&monitoring. It's not really for a listening pleasure, so I wonder which one suits better for my situation. I'm not sure about using amps, but I do own UFX if that can somewhat replace a good amp at least a little bit. Lots of people seem to suggest HD600 but I remember reading that 800 series have a bigger stereo field. I might like that better.

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #2 of 6
I've used both extensively.

HD800 *marked* improvement over the HD600. I have used mine for monitoring on location. Perfect in that application and very revealing. All the detail you need. You can mix on them in a pinch, definitely. They have quite an open loudspeakery soundstage. Couldn't say that about the HD600.

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #3 of 6
HD800 is way better for mixing than the muffled/veiled HD600! I can also recommened the older HD540 Reference been having great mixing results with them adn they don't cost that much.

Nov 29, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the responses. My question was intended more towards 800 itself vs. the new 800s, not so much the 600. I only wrote that just in case people recommend it because it's much cheaper route.

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 6
Both headphones Senn HD800 and HD800S are very fine phones, made as you mentioned, for music pleasure. They are also rather excpencieve. If you do not have a proper headphone amp and you want to use your new headphones mainly for mixing it doesn't make much sense to go after HD800's. I would recommend you Sennheiser HD25 (it exists in several variations), because they are very fast, dynamic with clear sound. They were made many years ago for DJ sort of listening. They are also much cheaper and present an excellent value.

Nov 30, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #6 of 6
Unfortunately I must totally disagree... HD25 totally unsuitable for mixing. Very unusual bass, congested highs and poor soundstage. If you want to make mixes that will translate well to loudspeakers, it's very difficult to avoid good open back cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back