HD800 Vortex Balanced Cable REVIEW
Oct 3, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #19 of 49
God, those BAXLRs are ridiculous. Now, tell me how to get Carmine to sell them to me in twos...

Can we get some detail shots on the plugs?

Oct 4, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #20 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
those xlr connectors are crazy large.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
God, those BAXLRs are ridiculous. Now, tell me how to get Carmine to sell them to me in twos...

Can we get some detail shots on the plugs?

best I can do at the moment; will get some close-ups showing the pins in the next couple days if you want. Carmine has actually just made a limited run of larger custom BAXLR, apparently these ones werent big enough for some japanese audiophiles. these ones will accommodate wire gauge up to 3mm, the larger ones will allow 5mm if memory serves (these arew solderless compression connectors like all of his connectors). the pins and receptacles are pure copper (not beryllium) plated with very thick silver plate. you can also get them with PEEK barrels and in either rhodium or platinum plate. buying in 2's isnt going to happen any time soon, I wish I could buy just males as well. only way to get them is in a set of 2 males and 2 females.

HD800vortexbalancedsmall.jpg

Oct 4, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #21 of 49
Yeah, so the pictures never really did those plugs justice... When Lee drops his stranded TWag wire in the future I will do some roflpwn cable with that and BAXLRs...

Any idea for what to do with the unwanted females? We could throw them at passing cars. I could make a joke about countries and female babies, but i'd get banned. 1/4" adapters come to mind...very, very big adapters.

Oct 4, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #22 of 49
Quote:

Yeah, so the pictures never really did those plugs justice... When Lee drops his stranded TWag wire in the future I will do some roflpwn cable with that and BAXLRs...

Any idea for what to do with the unwanted females? We could throw them at passing cars. I could make a joke about countries and female babies, but i'd get banned. 1/4" adapters come to mind...very, very big adapters.

yeah none of the pics on his site do his products justice compared to how gorgeous they are in real life. these are seriously the most highly engineered XLRs i've ever seen. CNC (not cast) out of solid pieces of copper and dielectric.

as far as what to do with the girls. hmmmm the majority of sales I have had I have included a BAL/SE adapter, but I do still have a few extra females. could use them for a huge ass phono cable
wink.gif
for the biggest cartridge known to man
tongue.gif

BTW John, nice review
wink.gif
as with most that have visited, i'm jealous of your rig; only just
wink.gif
. wanted to refrain from posting in here but the talk of the BAXLR made me want to show them off

Oct 7, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #23 of 49
I recently took delivery of one of qusp's Vortex balanced hd800 cables. My brief impressions are as follows. My initial experience w/ the headphone and stock cable was disappointing as they did not deliver the performance I expected. The treble was exaggerated and the bass underpowered. To be honest, I was on the verge of selling these cans. The quality that kept me from doing so was the ridiculous amount of detail that they extract from any and all recordings.

After plugging in the Vortex cable, I am sold on this headphone. The sibilance/exaggerated highs are no longer and the bass is perfectly balanced. The level of detail remains astounding. I find myself listening into the wee hours of the morning, something I haven't done in years.

I haven't had such an auditory experience since I seriously upgraded amps&cans. Cheers to qusp for a fantastic cable, it will be one of my main components for years to come. Pics to follow.

Picasa Web Albums - Vortex Cable

Oct 7, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #25 of 49
beautiful just need some 4pins anywhere near that jesus why keep the dual cable madness ongoing!

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #26 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by woodcans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently took delivery of one of qusp's Vortex balanced hd800 cables. My brief impressions are as follows. My initial experience w/ the headphone and stock cable was disappointing as they did not deliver the performance I expected. The treble was exaggerated and the bass underpowered. To be honest, I was on the verge of selling these cans. The quality that kept me from doing so was the ridiculous amount of detail that they extract from any and all recordings.

After plugging in the Vortex cable, I am sold on this headphone. The sibilance/exaggerated highs are no longer and the bass is perfectly balanced. The level of detail remains astounding. I find myself listening into the wee hours of the morning, something I haven't done in years.

I haven't had such an auditory experience since I seriously upgraded amps&cans. Cheers to qusp for a fantastic cable, it will be one of my main components for years to come. Pics to follow.

Picasa Web Albums - judge - Vortex Cable

its good that my own impressions of the cable are mirrored by people here, I really am teetering on the edge of grabbing some HD800, now if only I could bring myself to sell the HD600
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarplayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice job, and nice cable, Jeremy! You are really doing some good work.

The Bocchino XLR's are the best I have used. They are even more gigantic than the pictures make them appear to be.

Peace,

Lee

thanks Lee, yes they are indeed gigantour
eek.gif
but nothing I have used has come close, even the oyaide focus 1 have nothing on these IMO

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
beautiful just need some 4pins anywhere near that jesus why keep the dual cable madness ongoing!

agreed, if someone made a comparable 4 pin I would use it in a second. I have mentioned this to Carmine, maybe I will post him some links on the subject. problem is that only DIY and a couple of other amps have 4 pin output and there is no matching female of this quality either. I think if carmine made a 4 pin male and female (both inline and chassis mount) he would have a real winner on his hands. at the moment the neutrik XX series is about as close as we get and IMO they arent even in the same ballpark.

Oct 7, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #27 of 49
If/when TWag drops I will pony up for a set of BAXLRs and do it big...

x2 on the 4 pin. Although my headphone cables are gravitating towards 2 separate cables for left/right, I do like the elegance of 4 pin (and you can have it both ways...). Getting Bocchino to do it would be a big undertaking though, they're not going to sell the way regular XLRs and RCAs do - most of Bocchino's customers are the companies making $5000-$20000 interconnects. Bocchino is a rare brand to see on DIY cables, but Jeremy's got good taste and high standards :)

Now I'm curious, can either of you describe how the Delrin feels? Is the plug light, despite being so big? Delrin is thermoplastic, after all...an excellent choice although I'm also curious how going with a non-metal body affects the shielding of the plug. I'd probably want to throw some ERS in there for safety's sake.

Doin it big:
huge.jpg

Bocchino B2 RCA...6 ounces of Australian pride...

Oct 7, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #28 of 49
Quote:

If/when TWag drops I will pony up for a set of BAXLRs and do it big...

x2 on the 4 pin. Although my headphone cables are gravitating towards 2 separate cables for left/right, I do like the elegance of 4 pin (and you can have it both ways...). Getting Bocchino to do it would be a big undertaking though, they're not going to sell the way regular XLRs and RCAs do - most of Bocchino's customers are the companies making $5000-$20000 interconnects. Bocchino is a rare brand to see on DIY cables, but Jeremy's got good taste and high standards :)

same here, all my cables are dual twisted pair these days; separately shielded if possible, but the vortex in this form is designed for light weight and very low to non-existent microphonics. besides common mode does a good job at noise rejection anyway and if that isnt enough, you may have bigger problems than shielding your headphone cable
wink.gif

Quote:

Now I'm curious, can either of you describe how the Delrin feels? Is the plug light, despite being so big? Delrin is thermoplastic, after all...an excellent choice although I'm also curious how going with a non-metal body affects the shielding of the plug. I'd probably want to throw some ERS in there for safety's sake.

there are 3 versions, there is Delrin, Polyamide and PEEK, it feels good, the actual barrel is incredibly light, but you know what goes on inside Bocchino connectors, so the rest of the termination adds up to a pretty decent weight. not as heavy as they look, but still pretty weighty. yes if i'm shielding the cable, I line the barrel with ERS and copper foil or Ti mumetal
wink.gif

and one thing mate, the cables are not DIY, this is a full blown professional thing, being that i'm OEM for cryoparts, Eichmann, Bocchino, VCAP. now I may not charge 20000 for a cable (yet lol) but I am dedicated to searching out the highest quality components available to use in both my own cables and the ones I offer to my people.

Doin it big:
[ig]http://www.doublehelixcables.com/huge.jpg[/img]

Bocchino B2 RCA...6 ounces of Australian pride...[/QUOTE]

hmmm 75 ohms??
tongue.gif

but scoot, I dont want to turn this thread into a conversation about connectors, so lets leave it there please

Oct 7, 2009 at 8:58 AM Post #29 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by woodcans /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Picasa Web Albums - judge - Vortex Cable

Congrats woodcans, I wondered who scored that amp - wonderful build, great buy.
biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #30 of 49
indeed it is a very slick looking B22 build, one of the best I have seen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back