HD800 & UA Apollo Twin Duo
May 16, 2014 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Twangsta

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

This is my first post here, awesome forum.

I just found a good deal on a Sennheiser HD800, indulged and now I'm wondering if my existing pro audio interface will be adequate.

Jack Type 1⁄4” Female TRS Stereo (unbalanced)
Frequency Response 20 Hz – 20 kHz, ±0.1 dB
Dynamic Range (A–weighting) 113 dB
Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A–weighting) 113 dB
Channel Separation Greater than 110 dB
Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise –101 dBFS
Stereo Level Balance ±0.11 dB
Output Impedance 10 Ohms
Output Gain Range–INF to 0 dB
Maximum Output Power 80 milliwatts into 600 Ohms

Would these specs be it on paper be considered adequate?

A bit paranoid after reading about the tube amp recommendations. I'm a guitar player and quite aware of the virtues of tube tone. Having said that I'd like to know if anybody here has used an HD 800 with pro audio solid state amps and if it's necessary to use a tube amp to get the best out of these cans.

The UA Apollo has the highly renowned UAD DSP plugins emulating some of the best EQs and compressors out there, I'm really looking forward to trying these out for monitoring and silent practice besides also just listening to music with.

Would love to hear any accounts of folks using these cans for mixing and also using plugins at 24/192.

Cheers!

Apr 13, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 3
I know it's an old post but I'm sailing in the same boat now. I own a UA Apollo Quad Firewire.

Output ImpedanceLine: 600 Ohms, Monitor: 600 Ohms, Headphones: 12 Ohms

I'm planning on Sennhiser HD800

1. Nominal impedance: 300 Ω

Would it work? Or I'd be stupid to make that investment thinking that I'm gonna hear some stellar sound?
I'm a music producer and also own a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50 currently. I wanna upgrade to HD800 since I started to mix my own tracks and Soundstage is my prima requisite.

Any suggestion would be deeply appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back