HD800 Street Price
Jun 29, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #61 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My best guess is that, yes, MDC's shipping into the U.S. would violate their agreement, if any, but of course that's speculation. What we do know is that Senn is being very strict with respect to US based distributors shipping overseas. Simply put, Senn says it won't allow it, at least as I understand it. Finally, I would think that Senn's US-based distributors will quickly report MDC to Senn.

They will also not honor a warranty on those headphones.

Jun 29, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #62 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did retail for 14 years, manufacturer set prices is SOP. I have even seen a store loose an account for undercutting MSRP and have to order inventory through other stores in the same chain. This has been going on forever. All that is required is product that sells itself and that is usually synonymous with "new" stuff. Recite legalities until you grow old, it happens every single day here in the US. Once the "new" wears off, The manufacturer will drop prices and in turn allow retailers to sell at a lower price. Sometimes the manufacturer will cut a check to lower the price of inventory already in stock so retailers can go with the lower price immediately.

You've said nothing new here and nothing you have written contradicts what I explained to you. I recommend googling resale price maintenance. You will find some useful info, which may help you get a better handle on the issues and nuances concerning resale price maintenance.

Were you a salesman in retail or did you work in another capacity? What industry?

Jun 29, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #63 of 90
Quote:

You've said nothing new here and nothing you have written contradicts what I explained to you.

The point is that as soon as novelty wears off the price will drop or Senns will be sitting on their accumulated stock of greedily priced plastic phones forever. And it's dropping already with some e-tailers as we've seen.

Jun 29, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #64 of 90
Quote:

You've said nothing new here and nothing you have written contradicts what I explained to you. I recommend googling resale price maintenance. You will find some useful info, which may help you get a better handle on the issues and nuances concerning resale price maintenance.

Were you a salesman in retail or did you work in another capacity? What industry?

Seems like you didnt explain anything to me.

Jun 29, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #65 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The point is that as soon as novelty wears off the price will drop or Senns will be sitting on their accumulated stock of greedily priced plastic phones forever. And it's dropping already with some e-tailers as we've seen.

Exactly.

Jun 29, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #66 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't believe this will be the case, unless they come out with a newer model which won't happen for quite some time. (They were working on the HD800 for what, 7 years?)

First of all, half of the headphones they released initially are defective with the spring issue. I have still yet to hear from Sennheiser and I've been waiting over 3 weeks and 4 e-mails. This is going to cost them money to repair.

Secondly, these headphones are made for audiophiles which fit into a very niche market. They know this and they know how good their phone are. So do we. So why would they drop the price? They are selling them at the current rate during this global recession.

...And third, these headphones won't be dethroned for awhile, unless AKG pulls it off with a new flagship. (I have no idea where Grado came up with the $1700 pricetag for the PS1000. There is no new technology in them, and Sennheiser has nothing to worry about.) And even if they do, people will still prefer the HD800 to a new AKG (and some people actually prefer the K601 or K701 to the HD800!).

Jun 29, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #67 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't believe this will be the case, unless they come out with a newer model which won't happen for quite some time. (They were working on the HD800 for what, 7 years?)

First of all, half of the headphones they released initially are defective with the spring issue. I have still yet to hear from Sennheiser and I've been waiting over 3 weeks and 4 e-mails. This is going to cost them money to repair.

Secondly, these headphones are made for audiophiles which fit into a very niche market. They know this and they know how good their phone are. So do we. So why would they drop the price? They are selling them at the current rate during this global recession.

...And third, these headphones won't be dethroned for awhile, unless AKG pulls it off with a new flagship. (I have no idea where Grado came up with the $1700 pricetag for the PS1000. There is no new technology in them, and Sennheiser has nothing to worry about.) And even if they do, people will still prefer the HD800 to a new AKG (and some people actually prefer the K601 or K701 to the HD800!).

It wont be hard to reach market stauration at 1400 bucks a pop. The price will come down, I cant imagine for one second any anyone would think otherwise. They will never have a collector status like some of the Grados.

Jun 29, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #69 of 90
Sorry I'm rather new here.

I have a question about the possible price movement.

From a historical perspective, did the price dropped for other headphones at the same status (I mean sound, but not price) ? Like sony R-10, AKG K1000 or even the electrostatics ?

Jun 29, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #70 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They will never have a collector status like some of the Grados.

At least there is a nice box to collect the HD800 in!
tongue.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #71 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't count out the Ultrasone Edition 8 just yet everybody. The Edition 8 may compete with the HD800 in terms of sound quality. If it does, I think that the HD800 will come down in price.

Heard it already. More refined than the ED9 in the bass; the ED9 has a more engaging presentation but its bass is very bloated. HD800 sounded better in every area. But that was what I heard at CanJam. Paul Taylor of Ultrasone is generously loaning us the ED8 and ED9 for the L.A. meet so I will get more time with them, and all day Sunday at home before I have to ship them back on Monday. I'm hoping to hear some serious improvements with them on my rig. They are both good closed headphones and seem to outperform the modded D5000. More time with the D7000 will lend to better comparisons. I think Ultrasone needs to put better cables on their headphones. It would improve things a lot.

Jun 29, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #72 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by xiaobao0707 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry I'm rather new here.

I have a question about the possible price movement.

From a historical perspective, did the price dropped for other headphones at the same status (I mean sound, but not price) ? Like sony R-10, AKG K1000 or even the electrostatics ?

No, and because of their limited nature, they are all selling now used for much more than they cost new. The K1000 seems to be selling used for around the same price it was new.

The HD800 is only limited in its yearly production capacity (5,000), but they will keep making it as long as people keep buying it. It is not a limited edition headphone. And that's a good thing! Because of how good it is, maybe some of those famous OOP headphones will come down in price on the used market (although I doubt it).

Jun 29, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #73 of 90
I think Sennheiser will keep the price high because they are flagship product, so as well as selling in their own merits they will be used to create an air of quality and expertise around Sennheiser Headphones in general by making the best headphones in the world, and to do that they need to keep the price out of the reach of the man in the street.

Simon

Jun 29, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #74 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't count out the Ultrasone Edition 8 just yet everybody. The Edition 8 may compete with the HD800 in terms of sound quality. If it does, I think that the HD800 will come down in price.

If the E8 is anything like the E9 it should be excellent.

But it's not a competitor for the HD 800 at all.

The HD 800 is open and the E8 is closed.

So you will either have one or the other (your preference for open or closed) or you will have both (so you have open *and* closed).

They don't compete against each other at all, they are complimentary products.

Jun 29, 2009 at 9:32 AM Post #75 of 90
What a build and marketing disaster.Forever known as "The Plastic Phone".
Here Senn,a few tips for your next model.1 Material S/S and Magnesium.
2 Build up stocks so you can release W/W.3 Stop Price Fixing.4 Fair Price.

I am sure others can add pointers towards making the release of the 900 something to look forward to.

The faster you do this the better,because its only a matter of time before the Chinese
notice that money can be made selling HI-Fi phones,when they do watchout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back