HD800 roadmap to a top tier setup
Jan 14, 2014 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

PretentiousGeek

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

I have read tons of reviews and finally settled to get an HD800 which will basically fill my need, an all arounder. (50% music, 30% non competitive gaming, 20% movies).

My current setup is a Windows based computer and an external DAC (JDS labs Objective DAC) + AudioEngine A5.

I have a limited budget but i'm patient enough to get the very best and use it in a sub-optimal setup in the hopes that given a year or two i could manage to buy the other things i need.

I just want some expert advise and tell me if im pursuing this the right way.

Here's my roadmap...
Buy HD800 + Buy O2 Amp + ODAC
wait for a year or so...
Buy a WO2 + HD800 + ODAC

Is the WO2 sufficient or should i save some more and buy the WO22 instead.

Thanks.

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #2 of 12
I assume you mean WA2 and WA22. :wink:

I'd recommend either the Vali or m-Stage for your starter amp rather than the O2. The m-Stage if you want more warmth, the Vali if you want slightly more bass impact, detail, and deeper soundstage. Honestly I'd recommend both to complement each other depending on your mood. By the time you can afford a WA2 or WA22-you'll hopefully realize you can do much better-for less.

-Daniel

Jan 14, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #3 of 12
that sounds like a good plan. get the headphones and some budget dac/amp first, to figure out if the hd800s are right for you. it may very well be that you will end up not liking them (as good as the hd800s are, everything is subjective here), so it's better to figure out the headphone first before buying amps specifically for them. once you settle on the hd800s, then you can think of their strengths and weaknesses to you (eg prefer more warmth, or more treble clarity etc...), and buy an amp for it based on that (eg wa2 if you want more bass impact, wa22 if you want more holographic sound stage)

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #4 of 12
Hi there,
I'm also a newbie here and also did a ton of research and ordered a HD800 (hopefully delivered tomorrow) ... but I am more a purist. That means from my point of view gaming and movies and the HD800 do not sound like good marriage to begin with. No matter what set up you are going to choose, this headphone is a analytical tool that will reveal every detail of the recording.

If you talk gaming, you are hearing some synthesizer noises acc. to what is blown up or flying through the air. That has nothing to too with audiophile sound, you are on the totally wrong track but these are just my $0.02
wink.gif

Jan 15, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #6 of 12
I know that a pair of cans cant do it all, based on my research the HD800 certainly is more than adequate for movies and gaming and is superb in critical listening of recordings.

As ive said i dont have unlimited funds but i still want a superb setup. While im confident in the HD800 abilities to perform what i need, im unsure about my DAC and AMP choices.

:)

Jan 15, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #7 of 12
  I know that a pair of cans cant do it all, based on my research the HD800 certainly is more than adequate for movies and gaming and is superb in critical listening of recordings.   ....  :)

Hi,

you have it exactely the other way 'round than what I meant.
redface.gif

In my opinion the source quality of games is not adequate for the HD800.
If someone has experience with the HD800 for gaming and enjoys it, so be it, have tons of funs
beerchug.gif

Jan 16, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #8 of 12
Thanks for the help. I have decided to get the hd800 and a woo audio wa7 instead. It's more expensive that I initially intended but live is too short, I'd rather spend them listening to quality music rather than waiting and pondering what to buy.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #10 of 12
Totally untrue. Try before you make conclusions

LOL, if you read - and try to understand the meaning of my post ... then you might understand that this is my personal opinion and I have absolutely no problem, if someone is of a different opinion and uses the HD800 for gaming.
So what ? I'm not the headphone police :wink:). I love to listen to music and concentrate on the performance. For me it would be impossible to do this when trying to shoot targets and try to avoid getting shot myself while doing whatever stunts on vehicles. I don't do gaming at all but I don't mind others to enjoy this with whatever headphone they have. Easy there in Downunder, relax :wink:).

Fortunately the OP has made a decision already, will get a HD800 and hopefully will let us know how he likes the set up for gaming.

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #11 of 12
It really seems that talking about high end audio and gaming triggers some controversy. I just want to make thing clear, I'm not buying these just for gaming. I'm going to use it mainly for music. Rather than buy another pair of cans for gaming I'd much rather use the hd800 and live with the result.

Jan 16, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #12 of 12
It really seems that talking about high end audio and gaming triggers some controversy. I just want to make thing clear, I'm not buying these just for gaming. I'm going to use it mainly for music. Rather than buy another pair of cans for gaming I'd much rather use the hd800 and live with the result.

You will not need to buy another set of headphones for gaming. When people talk about "gaming headphones", I associate that with a wide soundstage, good imaging, and comfort -- all attributes associated with HD800s. I use them for gaming all the time. The poor sound quality in games argument hasn't ever been an issue for me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back