HD800 replacement cable: ALO Reference 8 or SAA Endorphin?
Aug 4, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #17 of 23
  I have not had the pleasure of hearing the AOL cables, for the HD800. I did purchase the E-Series unbalanced cables. I took a chance, for all the great things I heard. AOL or SAA.  James is overloaded with work and has a huge back order, but patience, paid off.  
Wow! The Frequency response was corrected, and believe it or not the stage was enhanced, with better isolation from each individual sound sources.
HD800 is the type of headphones that bring out the very best and worse of all hardware. When you have a great source, and amp, they are amazing, but when matched with less then stellar hardware, there are many other headphones that are more forgiving. My source might be con traversal to some, I have been listening to my digitized source of music on my network, sourced by a SolidRun cubox-4pro computer, USB to a CM6631a USB to SPDIF, Corda Stage DAC (reclocked) to a Corda Classic. All the clocks have been upgraded to very very low Jitter TCXO and all the interconnects are Silver based cables.The SPDIF is also isolated and impedance matched. I am very happy with the sound reproduction from this rig. 
One of my surprises was the Mono recording of Cannonball Adderley,  Somethin' Else, the mono recording presented greater depth with in the mono stage. I felt like I was in the bar, and wanted a bourbon, to go with the great sound I was hearing.  Female vocalists like Jane Monheit, Come dream with me, always sounded amazing, but all Vocal sibilance is gone. The playback was amazing. I felt like she was singing in front of me, just for me.  Beethoven 5 and 7th, Wiener Philharmoniker, Carlos Kleiber, sounded like a veil was removed, clarifying the placement of each instrument and the clarity was remarkable, my mouth was wide open, and my wife said something to me, so I gave her the HD800's and had to close her mouth too, sadly she wouldn't give me back my music!
The SAAA cables are soft, comftable and labeled Endorphin. They are the E-series with connectors and are not hardwired. This is the E-series I purchased. I have fallen back in love with my HD800's. My next purchase will probably be a WA22 and SSA balanced cables.  

Oct 2, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #18 of 23
Great thread. I've been so curious about the ALO series 16 HD 800 cable upgrade. I've done a few tweaks and upgrades to my sound chain and the only thing I haven't done is replaced the stock HD 800 cable. I must say its not bad, but I'm willing to go that extra refinement route for that 7 to 10% sound quality upgrade. I have a feeling replacing my 800 cable may work, but I know it will cost me to do it. The ALO cable is $1200+ U.S.
it might be worth it though, especially for long term listening. I'm excited and I thank everyone on this thread for their insightful comments. It's a help indeed. Thank you.
Also, I welcome any advice from any of you. I've been doing the research and so far the most trusted brands are Stephan Audio, toxic cables, cardas, moon audio, Norse, audio twag, nordost and my favourite right now from Ken Ball, ALO. It's a tough choice of which cable to purchase, but this is my last upgrade I need to do for a while. :wink:

Oct 2, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #19 of 23
Great thread. I've been so curious about the ALO series 16 HD 800 cable upgrade. I've done a few tweaks and upgrades to my sound chain and the only thing I haven't done is replaced the stock HD 800 cable. I must say its not bad, but I'm willing to go that extra refinement route for that 7 to 10% sound quality upgrade. I have a feeling replacing my 800 cable may work, but I know it will cost me to do it. The ALO cable is $1200+ U.S.
it might be worth it though, especially for long term listening. I'm excited and I thank everyone on this thread for their insightful comments. It's a help indeed. Thank you.
Also, I welcome any advice from any of you. I've been doing the research and so far the most trusted brands are Stephan Audio, toxic cables, cardas, moon audio, Norse, audio twag, nordost and my favourite right now from Ken Ball, ALO. It's a tough choice of which cable to purchase, but this is my last upgrade I need to do for a while.
wink.gif

For that price I would also look into the Siltech Duchess Crown HD800 cable.

http://www.thecableco.com/Product/Duchess-Crown

Oct 2, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #20 of 23
Oct 2, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #21 of 23
Thanks man. That's one expensive silver cable. Damn Duchess! Who does she think she is? Kind of cool that Siltech has a try out/delivery method to test cables for 7 to 10 days. Probably expensive though. Shipping is dumb these days cost wise.
frown.gif

No problem!

Another one is the Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 7 Headphone Cable.

http://www.wireworldcable.com/audio-interconnects.html#headphone

Double Helix Cables has their TOTL Pure OCC Silver Complement4 cable releasing sometime in the near future.
The Complement3 already receives rave reviews, so I would expect the Complement4 to really be stunning.

http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19&products_id=156

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #23 of 23
Has anyone used cardas clear xlr cable for hd800?

No I haven't, but let us know if you do.

I also HOPE someone here gets their hands on the ALO reference 16 HD 800 cable. It looks like this. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back