HD800 + really big amp + DAC + EQ = head subwoofers?
Jan 11, 2010 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Geek

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone tried this? Just for fun I loaded foobar 2000 with an equalizer and dropped everything +20dB that was above 110hz, and then smoothly tapered from 0dB at 55hz and below to 8db at about 70hz and 16db at 110hz....

I've been in cars with subs, this sounds the same, just heads-only. Shakes my skull but won't stop my heart from beating
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sure I could get better results with a better EQ. Again, just for fun! Anyone else tried this? Pretty cool stuff for those of you with a background in car audio!

Setup:

Headroom Maxed Out Home / Reference module upgrade (2003 model)
HD800s as-is (no mods / tweaks)
Kimber mini 1/8" to RCA cable
Headroom Micro DAC

Jan 11, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone tried this? Just for fun I loaded foobar 2000 with an equalizer and dropped everything +20dB that was above 110hz, and then smoothly tapered from 0dB at 55hz and below to 8db at about 70hz and 16db at 110hz....

I've been in cars with subs, this sounds the same, just heads-only. Shakes my skull but won't stop my heart from beating
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sure I could get better results with a better EQ. Again, just for fun! Anyone else tried this? Pretty cool stuff for those of you with a background in car audio!

Setup:

Headroom Maxed Out Home / Reference module upgrade (2003 model)
HD800s as-is (no mods / tweaks)
Kimber mini 1/8" to RCA cable
Headroom Micro DAC

Yea and I was afraid of blowing up my heart, my brain, and my headphone drivers. I tried it on my DT770 pro's. It does give you that too much bass in a car feeling, though I am not a fan of that much(nor can it be healthy).

Jan 11, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #3 of 4
Unless you have records that contain DEEP bass, a transparent CDP (DAC) & interconnects, and a powerful headamp, you will never know the HD800's top secret.
tongue.gif

A friend of mine just replaced a tube in his WA3 (Woo Audio). It turns his HD800 into HD650. It rocks !!!

Jan 25, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #4 of 4
Bordins,

Hit the nail on the head! The weak link in my setup was my source - I have high quality encodings, but a better DAC transformed the setup.

I disagree about the HD800 sounding like HD650s - the 650s can't slam below 35hz very well, and simply make farting sounds and distortion when trying to hit below 25hz...
redface.gif

The midbass on HD800 and 650 is really similar though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back