HD800 - Pad Cleaning
Mar 15, 2014 at 8:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jademalo

New Head-Fier
I've had my HD800s for coming up to a year now, and considering they sit on my head for 12+ hours per day, it's getting to the point where they seriously need a wash.

I'm not too worried about the actual process of removing the pads or the headband, but I do have a question regarding actually washing them. Spesifically, what should I use? Is it fine to use normal detergent, or should I get something spesific for the material? Hand wash with warm water, or washing machine?

I've had a good search and come up with plenty of people saying they've sucessfully washed them, but leaving out any details of what they washed them with =p
In addition, has anyone washed the top band before? I'm assuming it's a similar material, but it's suffering from the same issue as the pads.

Thank you!

Mar 15, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #2 of 5
I would use a two in one hair conditioner and hand wash them with warn to hot water.  This way they will dry well, remain moistened with the conditioner as to not corrode the material.  I would then let them air dry, but be sure to place them in such a way as to very closely resemble how they will be formed when installed.

Mar 15, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 5
I think you need to be gentle. I haven't had to do this, but here's what I'm thinking:

1. So soak in lukewarm with a little mild liquid baby soap for 3 hours.
2. Rinse thoroughly in cold water.
3. Let sit on a towel to dry in the right shape.

Edit: Have you asked Sennheiser what they recommend?

Mar 16, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #4 of 5
I'm not sure what the pads and headband are made of, but it feels like some kind of artificial suede. It is my impression that it is treated with some kind of "dirt rejection" (not sure about the translation here :wink:) layer. Maybe washing them will remove this layer, making them less resistant to dirt? 

Mar 16, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #5 of 5
  I'm not sure what the pads and headband are made of, but it feels like some kind of artificial suede. It is my impression that it is treated with some kind of "dirt rejection" (not sure about the translation here :wink:) layer. Maybe washing them will remove this layer, making them less resistant to dirt? 

In that case, it might be better to have it dry cleaned. But use an upscale dry cleaner. You can find one by asking a good clothing store for a recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back