Hd800 or T1
Apr 22, 2017 at 3:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Heiku

New Head-Fier
Hi
I've had my eye on the HD800's for a little while now and my intention was to purchase a pair soon. But ( as always) i've been reading a ton of reviews and doing some research on them before i part with my cash. The Beyerdynamic T1(2nd) is a good bit cheaper than the HD800's and now i'm thinking they may be a better option because of the price reduction.

How close are the T1's to the HD800's? are they pretty similar but the T1(2nd) has a little more bass?Sadly, it is very hard to get hold of either the Beyerdynamic T1 and the HD800s where I live. What is listen mainly are instrumental/movie soundtracks/ambient. Are there better option for these genres?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Apr 22, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #2 of 11
The T1 isn't as capable as headphones like HD800, HD650, Elear etc. They also have a dry, etchy and sharp sound and can sound metallic.

Apr 22, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #3 of 11
I listen to my T1's more than my HD800's. Both headphones are very sensitive to the amp you use with them, the T1 maybe even more so than the HD800. You really need a good tube amp for the T1. Now to make it clear I have the original version of the T1 not the newer one that is being sold now. As to the newer version of T1 I couldn't say.

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #4 of 11
I happened to have just recently auditioned both the T1 and HD800 (ordered both on amazon with intention of returning one).  At first, I was wowed by the HD800's huge soundstage and perceived clarity and detail.  However, there was just something missing...a lack of focus in the music.  Everything felt like it was floating in space, not on a physical stage.  This airy presentation also took away from the sense of impact.  Percussion didn't have a visceral impact because it sounded so distant.  Also, I didn't feel that all the inherent overtones and timbre's of instruments were presented naturally -  clarity but not so much an organic representation.  Keep in mind that I mostly listen to classical orchestral and solo and a little bluegrass and jazz.  

Next I started listening to the T1.  I was immediately struck by how accurate and natural the instruments sounded.  Super clear and detailed, yet simply authentic sounding ( I play a classical instrument professionally, so I think I might know what they're supposed to sound like).  Percussion had super fast attack and impact - you really feel the zing and pop of drums.  Also, the T1 has a very focused imaging, not the biggest or widest soundstage, but razor sharp focus and imaging.  I feel like this draws your brain into the core of the music.  I found that with the T1, I would immediately "get into" the music itself, while with the HD800s, I'd often be distracted by its huge soundstage and airy presentation.  Some people love this about the HD800 - I didn't.  And, I can see why gear heads like the HD800's technicalities.  But, to me it was easy to make the decision based on how much I was simply enjoying the music with the T1.

Keep in mind that with both the HD800 and T1, high quality recordings are a must.  As are both good amplification and source.  The Beyers are even more power hungry than the Senns.  

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #5 of 11
I second Pirastro's words. These are also my experiences with HD800 and T1. To complete what was said i want to add that although the T1's soundstage is not as wide as the one of HD800, it is incredibly deep. More so than on any other headphone i've heard. 

Sep 17, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #6 of 11
I happened to have just recently auditioned both the T1 and HD800 (ordered both on amazon with intention of returning one). At first, I was wowed by the HD800's huge soundstage and perceived clarity and detail. However, there was just something missing...a lack of focus in the music. Everything felt like it was floating in space, not on a physical stage. This airy presentation also took away from the sense of impact. Percussion didn't have a visceral impact because it sounded so distant. Also, I didn't feel that all the inherent overtones and timbre's of instruments were presented naturally - clarity but not so much an organic representation. Keep in mind that I mostly listen to classical orchestral and solo and a little bluegrass and jazz.

Next I started listening to the T1. I was immediately struck by how accurate and natural the instruments sounded. Super clear and detailed, yet simply authentic sounding ( I play a classical instrument professionally, so I think I might know what they're supposed to sound like). Percussion had super fast attack and impact - you really feel the zing and pop of drums. Also, the T1 has a very focused imaging, not the biggest or widest soundstage, but razor sharp focus and imaging. I feel like this draws your brain into the core of the music. I found that with the T1, I would immediately "get into" the music itself, while with the HD800s, I'd often be distracted by its huge soundstage and airy presentation. Some people love this about the HD800 - I didn't. And, I can see why gear heads like the HD800's technicalities. But, to me it was easy to make the decision based on how much I was simply enjoying the music with the T1.

Keep in mind that with both the HD800 and T1, high quality recordings are a must. As are both good amplification and source. The Beyers are even more power hungry than the Senns.

Pirastro: Great review on the distinctions between the two -I can totally relate. I too then, would greatly prefer the T1 (Beyer) sound.

One thing though, you comment: " I play a classical instrument professionally, so I think I might know what they're supposed to sound like" means squat. Although you may have this "tonal" ear, by no means does the fact one play's an instrument (in any capacity) suggest superior listening/temporal skill or ability.

peter jasz

Sep 17, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #7 of 11
I second Pirastro's words. These are also my experiences with HD800 and T1. To complete what was said i want to add that although the T1's soundstage is not as wide as the one of HD800, it is incredibly deep. More so than on any other headphone i've heard.

dunhill: Great to see we have two critical listener's - you/piastro. Clearly, the HD-800's are far from accurate; one could experience this exaggerated 'sound-scape' by signal processing means if desired, although I can't imagine why anyone would.
The point is, for a $1k + can to be anything but reference neutral is almost laughable.

peter jasz

Sep 17, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #8 of 11
Pirastro: Great review on the distinctions between the two -I can totally relate. I too then, would greatly prefer the T1 (Beyer) sound.

One thing though, you comment: " I play a classical instrument professionally, so I think I might know what they're supposed to sound like" means squat. Although you may have this "tonal" ear, by no means does the fact one play's an instrument (in any capacity) suggest superior listening/temporal skill or ability.

peter jasz
I absolutely agree that playing an instrument does not necessarily make you a better listener. However, it is a simple fact that professional musicians have to listen critically (that's their job!) and tend to have very discerning ears. But, mainly I just wanted to make a point that I listen to real instruments on a daily basis, and have been for many years. I think that this helps me identify whether an instruments is realistically reproduced by a headphone.

Sep 18, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #9 of 11
Pirastro: Understood. Indeed, but one then (musician) must also have experienced and understand the tonal variations created by the room's acoustic properties -including temperature and humidity conditions.

One final and very, very important consideration has to do with the equipment. For example, listening to a piece of music; "is what we are hearing" (the subtleties, nuance, tonal texture) through the headphones, the inherent qualities of the cans or can it be greatly influenced by the signal preceding the headphones?

For if headphone 'performance' is as influenced by down-stream (source) gear -including cables/accessories, in equal measure- one must be very cognizant of what's contributing to what subjective sound qualities we are assessing.

peter jasz

Sep 18, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #10 of 11
Pitty you can't audition the DT1990 and Amiron as well. I had the T1.2s, and they are very good. There's a lot to like about them, but I found that there was 'something' missing in the mids. Then I got the DT1990s, and the mids are more forward and in balance with everything else. The treble isn't quite as lucid as on the T1.2s, but it's a tradeoff I'm willing to make. I also own an Amiron, and it's surprisingly similar to the DT1990, but it sounds a little coloured and slightly more relaxed.

I also owned focal Elears, but they just sound muddled and slow to me, and I think they're quite overrated. I also spent some time with the Utopias, and found that they sound more similar to the T1.2s than the Elears.

Sep 18, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #11 of 11
Pitty you can't audition the DT1990 and Amiron as well. I had the T1.2s, and they are very good. There's a lot to like about them, but I found that there was 'something' missing in the mids. Then I got the DT1990s, and the mids are more forward and in balance with everything else. The treble isn't quite as lucid as on the T1.2s, but it's a tradeoff I'm willing to make. I also own an Amiron, and it's surprisingly similar to the DT1990, but it sounds a little coloured and slightly more relaxed.

I also owned focal Elears, but they just sound muddled and slow to me, and I think they're quite overrated. I also spent some time with the Utopias, and found that they sound more similar to the T1.2s than the Elears.

Mark RS: For sure, the mid-band and LF resolution is absolutely critical to great sound. Appreciate the rec's.

pj

Users who are viewing this thread

Back