HD800 + Moon Blue Dragon Impression
May 8, 2012 at 2:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

sonq

100+ Head-Fier
My cable just arrived this morning for my s/no 074XX HD800.The cable is actually a discrete metallic dark midnight blue, not as bright as images on their website, very flexible.

A/B against stock cable with no burning in with Shelby Lynne's Just A Little Loving. 1st impression upon the switch is the sense of added soundstage depth and air; background also feels quieter.

As the song progress, I noticed there's some added micro details which I didn't noticed before, but there's also some silvery edge to her vocal which I hope this will fade with more burning in. There's also a very low frequency bass line which I didn't notice before; not very well defined though.

FYI, my amp is WA6 with HRT MSII+ as source, so a little on the warm side of neutral.

I plugged it into my office amp to play overnight and will update again.

May 9, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #2 of 2
Took another listen after 24hrs of playtime.

The metallic edge on vocals have been reduced but still not totally gone. A very slight edge on violins too. Hope it'll completely disappear with more burning in. High hat sounds annoyingly upfront on some recordings.

The more spacious sound stage is nice and the added body to voices and instruments provided an added sense of realism to good recordings.

Cello sounds defined and more full-bodied than stock cable.

Some congestion when the music gets too complex (too many instruments hitting loudly at the same time).

Some of the flaws may just be limitation of my DAC or reflects the state my office's power supply instead of the cable, but I'll continue to run in the cable and see if things improves further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back