HD800 Initial Impressions (and vs. HE60)
Nov 17, 2009 at 8:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Towert7

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello.

These are my initial impressions on the Sennheiser HD800. Most of my listening has been done with my main headphone setup sourced by the MHDT labs Havana NOS tube dac with WE396A tube, feeding either the HeadAmp GS-1 or WooAudio WA6 headphone amps. I have had these for roughly 3 months now.
The HE60 uses the same source but uses the stock Sennheiser HEV70 amp. I have had these for about a year now.

Comfort:
When ever I put these headphones on, I feel a little bit sad. I think it has something to do with the huge size of the ear pads, which make me feel droopy. I am not very thrilled with the comfort of the HD800. I would classify it as simply “acceptable”. The headband is too loose, and I find that just handling it will adjust the headband size, needing me to go back and fiddle with it. The headphones are very heavy! Whereas my Senn HE60 are light as a feather, the HD800 are one of the heaviest headphones I have ever used.

If Sennheiser changed the shape from the typical HD650 / HE60 out of necessity to get their sonic signature, then fine. But if they could have made the HD800 in the shape of the HE60 without loss of sound quality, I wish they would have.

The cable is very coiled, and so it likes to twist up. Extra care must be taken to keep the cable straight.

The HD800 move around on my head a lot! They do not make a good fit on my head. If I lean back to close my eyes and listen to the music, they pretty much fall right off. If I move my head side-to-side, they shift around a lot.

Lastly, because of the large size of the ear pads, when I get a 5 o’clock shadow, the ear pads make me quite itchy.

In summary, I am not very happy with the comfort of the HD800, whereas my HE60 are one of the most comfortable headphones I have ever used.

Build quality:
They are mostly sturdy plastic, with a shape that looks a little intimidating at first, but once I got used to it I find they look bland. No color, but similar looking to the Sony Qualia 010 in ear cup design.

Cable design and ear cup attachments are very nice.

Story:
Is the HD800 a more refined version of the HD650? Well, no, frankly. The HD800 is a complete departure. Dr. Sennheiser set out to build the most neutral and technically perfect dynamic headphone the world has ever seen. And their team did it. A German researcher comes out in a lab coat, says “it's perfect”, and goes back.

Out of every dynamic headphone I have ever heard, the HD800 is the most neutral sounding of the bunch. The way it reproduces instrumental music is so lifelike. Every instruments sounds like that instrument. Sounds have the positioning in space rivaling the top electrostatics headphones, and the level of detail is right there with the best electrostatics (O2, HE90). Most people I have talked to, myself included, feel the HD800 are better than the HE90 in several ways. The 800’s have slightly better bass (having more detail and weight, while being more in line with the rest of the frequency spectrum), more depth to the soundstage, and better micro detail. The best HE90 Rig I listened to, with components hand picked by a very respectable name in the headphone business, totaling around 25,000$ was the closest I have heard the HE90 sound to the HD800. They were both about equally neutral. They had a slightly different sonic signature, and different presentation of the music, but both were close enough to be compared in the same category of headphones. The biggest competition I can think of to the HD800 is the Stax O2 in terms of technicality.

So, right about now you would expect me to recommend these, show a few pictures, and be done.

Sadly, no. These headphones have one or two strings attached. It is true that I find these headphones to be the most neutral and lifelike sounding with instrumental music. However, when you are listening to vocals you are faced with a mildly sibilant quality emphasizing sh’s and ss’s. At times male vocals are even sibilant. Now you might argue that this is technically how the recording should sound, but I can tell you that it makes for a less relaxing musical experience. Anyone who wants to drift away in the music will be in search of equipment that disappears, leaving just the music. It is not the case with the HD800. This is one area that the old Sennheiser electrostatics (HE60 / HE90) did MUCH better. If you are searching for a headphone that can be considered warm, the HD800 wouldn’t be my first choice. I would look instead to the HE60, HE90, O2, and R10.

If I could be so crude for a moment, I would say the HD800 typifies what is typically referred to as a ‘solid state sound’, while the HE60/HE90 typifies a ‘tube sound’. The HE60/HE90 are an easier listen, but the HD800 has the technicality and neutrality.
One is no longer a clear winner. It comes down to personal preference. Each is not without their drawbacks, but each is among the best headphones in the world.

Another Story (HD800 Vs. HE60):
So, I owned the HE60 + HEV70 and decided to try the HD800 out. I wanted to try it, but had a very good feeling that I would be returning them within the 15 day return period since there was no way they could stack up to the HE60. 15 days rolled by, and I never returned the HD800. That right there is saying a lot. Now I am cursed, because I want a headphone that combines the best of both headphones! I fear that my only other option is a Stax O2, or a 25,000$ HE90 setup.

I would say that 70% of the time I am thrilled with the HD800 with instrumental music. But for the other 30% of the time, I yearn for the smoothness of the HE60. Most will still consider the HE60 a more hifi headphone, even though the HD800 is better in several ways.

Some ways the HD800 are surprisingly better: First off, the high frequencies. You would think the one thing electrostatics are suited for is that high frequency speed and detail. Well the HE60 have the speed, but I kid you not the HD800 have a better detailed high frequency. Instruments sound more lifelike with the HD800. The HD800 also have a slightly more pronounced bass region with roughly equal amounts of tightness and slightly more detail. Neither is a major departure from the other though, just the HD800’s being slightly more in line with the rest of the frequency spectrum. For those in need of more bass weight, you’ll need to look elsewhere (O2, R10, PS1). The mids are also comparable, with the exception that the HD800 is a little more detailed and sibilant. In terms of soundstage, the HD800 presents sounds more in front of you whereas the HE60 presents a more encapsulating sound experience (much more typical of headphones). I can instantly switch to the HE60, but each time I go back to the HD800 it takes my ears a minute or two to get used to the presentation again. Once this happens though, both headphones have very nice positioning of instruments, with the biggest difference being that the HD800 presents more depth to the sound stage (sounds can sound farther away). It's still close to a headphone sound, but a tiny bit closer to the presentation of a 2 channel stereo setup.
Smoothness easily goes to the HE60.

I could live with either and be very happy. The HD800 have opened up a new window into the way my music sounds, but I still feel VERY uncomfortable parting with my HE60. I think solely in terms of sound quality, I would rather live with the HE60 simply because of the sibilant vocals on the HD800. Curses, I’m so debated (just like I was when it came time to return the HD800)!!!

When you talk about the price, I think Sennheiser did a good job picking the 1400$us price point.

Pics:
I’ll post pictures at a later date.

Hope this helps, and as always feel free to post your comments!
~Drew

Nov 17, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #2 of 44
Thanks for the details. Would I be correct in stating that your head is on the small, lean side?

Nov 17, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #3 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, when you are listening to vocals you are faced with a mildly sibilant quality emphasizing sh’s and ss’s. At times male vocals are even sibilant.

I recognize that problem and I solved it by replacing my Siltech (Silver) to an v.d. Hul Orchid (Copper) interconnect.

Nov 17, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #4 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the details. Would I be correct in stating that your head is on the small, lean side?

No, I would say a medium sized head (bigger than the average person).

Nov 17, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #5 of 44
Nice impressions. I had a chance of auditioning 800s and O2s together. My first reaction was I preferred O2s straight away. I did hear the sibilance on more than one occasion with 800s and your impressions reflect mine perfectly. I would say 800s are more of neutrally bright compared to the neutrally warm signature of O2s.

Nov 17, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 44
Quote:

I would say that 70% of the time I am thrilled with the HD800 with instrumental music. But for the other 30% of the time, I yearn for the smoothness of the HE60. Most will still consider the HE60 a more hifi headphone, even though the HD800 is better in several ways.

I sympathize with those of you trying to build BOTH a top 'stat system and dynamic system. I don't know where the money is coming from, but pity your pocketbooks
smily_headphones1.gif

Have you thought about selling either the 'stat or dynamic system and buying better xyz (say amp) for the other system?

I have personally chosen to forgo dynamics and use both HE60 and HE Audio 'stat out of the same 'stat setup. HE Audio more closely represents the HD800 type "sound" and variety is always good..

Nov 17, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #7 of 44
I found these impressions very useful, I’m in the midst of researching for my electrostatic rig - thanks Towert7.

I found the HD800 sibilant at first, it has taken a new source and careful cable section to cure this. I’ve also experienced the HD800 from a WA6SE, I preferred a balanced Beta22 by quite a margin.

Nov 17, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #8 of 44
Thank you for the impression, i enjoyed reading them. I have to agree with johnwmclean above, the beta22 balanced is probably the best amp i have heard with them. I got to a/b/c it with a pheonix and my Zana Duex and the beta22 was stunning in terms of dynamics. Made me want to seek one out.

edit-The only thing my Zana had was a slightly lower noise floor. Still love the Zana but holy smokes that beta22 is something else balanced with the 800s.

Nov 17, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #9 of 44
Drew. I don't have the HE 60 so I can't compare the 2 headphones but you are right on!!!

I just might add, as far as fit. When I lay out in my recliner the 800s get pushed forward toward my face more than my HD 650, or the other grados I have previously owned.

I don't know about the HD 800 being the heaviest, the Grado HF-2s are quite heavy, then there are the PS 1000 heaver yet!
wink_face.gif
(just having fun)

Good reading thanks for taking the time.

Nov 17, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #10 of 44
Thanks guys.

@Jon L: I've always wondered what the HE60 would sound like out of a better amp. Most things I ready say the HEV70 is not a good amp, but one of my friends had both the HEV70 and KGSS for his HE60, and said at lower volumes the difference wasn't that big.
I had a chance to listen to the Omega 2, and I think if I could eq the bass down a little I would be very happy with those. I do think at the end of the day I will end up with an electrostatic setup. I value smoothness in the music, and while the HD800 were the closest to the electrostatics I've heard, they just are not smooth enough for me.

Problem is, I've run out of money to do any more upgrading (student still), and I really don't want to sell any one setup quite yet.

@john: last weekend I had the chance to hear 4 other HD800 setups, each with their own equipment and after market cables. Sadly, not one of the setups did any better than mine with vocals. I must say I haven't tried the beta 22 with them yet. I'll have to give that a try. Thanks for the recommendation.

@Mark: Ok, certainly not the most heavy, but a lot heavier than my typical full size headphone. Yea, at times they get pushed forward, and other times they fall back on me.

Nov 18, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #11 of 44
Quote:

I do think at the end of the day I will end up with an electrostatic setup.

Quote:

Problem is, I've run out of money to do any more upgrading (student still), and I really don't want to sell any one setup quite yet.

Just giving you a hard time. LOL If you like the your electrostatic setup better why not sell the HD 800s?

Did you take the pictures? Nice!!

Nov 18, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #13 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by markmaxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you take the pictures? Nice!!

Yup, that's my baby. And yes, I took those pictures.

I'll get around to photographing the HD800 probably during the weekend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by markmaxx
Just giving you a hard time. LOL If you like the your electrostatic setup better why not sell the HD 800s?

That's also possible.
I'm so confused.

Nov 18, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another impression to force me to give in to a purchase of a pair of HD800s...

Sorry!

Nov 18, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #15 of 44
Thanks for your impressions. One thing I do agree for sure is that HD800 trying very hard to be the stats, without to be one, so, if you ask me what would I choose HD800 or stats, I must say stats are winning. Which one, well, its the matter of your budget and preferences of course.
For the first time I tried Jade HE Audio I was very impressed. The amp was GES Woo and Jade were very, very good sounding, however with some issues in bass territory, bit loosy, but I am sure cos of valves and IC been used. Why I think so? Well, when I tried HE60 next to Jade using Woo amp, Jade were winning very easy, at least to my liking they were way closer. HE60 were showing to much sibilance and way less space. At this point I would say, invest in Jade + GES Woo and dump HE60, especially for the money they goes these days.
Well, back to HD800 and HE60. To me, both of them aren't interesting to spend the money at, cos HD800 aren't finished fully to stay on top with the stats and HE60 faces a lot competition, especially for what they are cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back