HD800, He560, K812 or other?..
Dec 27, 2014 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Ethereal Sound

500+ Head-Fier
So I've been using my He500 for a bit now and I find it to be too uncomfortable for any more than one hour of listening. Thus,
I have decided to get a new headphone. What I'm looking for is comfort and a headphone that can do decently in all genres though
I do mostly listen to classical and instrumental music. I've been trying to find comparisons between the Hd800, K812 and He560 but
none have been too helpful. Any advice regarding which headphone is best for extended listening and would be complimentary to the
he500's is much appreciated.

Dec 27, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #2 of 3
Hi there, I've tried the hd800 and he-560 in my home for a couple weeks each, as well as an lcd-2 pre fazor, and after all that I ended up with a MrSpeakers Alpha Prime as the best sounding headphone for all genres and overall use and for comfort. The other headphones all have something they do well for specific situations or maybe a person preference, but the Alpha Prime will pretty much succeed in pleasing you with any kind of music you like, and its pretty comfy, and its closed back so it isolates really nicely too. Also it has a massive soundstage, not just for a closed back headphone, but like in general. The hd800 still beats it, and probably the k812 (I have never tried it, but just assuming), but the Alpha Prime definitely comes third after those two, compared to the others. Also its the most neutral, while still being liquid and very dynamic and smooth. the hd800, and he-560 are both close to neutral but you can tell they are more leaning on the thin and light side of things overall. Dont get me wrong though, they are really good headphones but I just liked the Alpha Prime more.

Also in regards to comfort the hd800 wins, but its super open.

The he-560 is smaller than you think it is, my ears just barely fit inside, and as such they touched everything inside the cup, like all the sides and the fabric over the driver. its not spacious at all. but they are very light weight, which is nice.

I'd say if you can afford to try them all out first, then do that to make sure you dont happen to just love the sound signature of one of them. Otherwise for a blind buy I would easily just go with the Alpha Primes, because so far nobody has claimed to dislike them in any way, or return them. So they are a pretty safe buy.

I hope this helps a bit, let me know if theres something about them specifically you want to know more of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back