HD800 direct to receiver headphone jack?
Jan 4, 2014 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Phredd

100+ Head-Fier
I never thought I'd consider spending $1500 for headphones, but they're only one tenth the price of the Orpheus, right? I just don't know if I could still afford them if I need the matching amp for another $2,000.

I have a decent receiver, an NAD T747, which is capable of driving 300 ohms. Would I fully enjoy the HD800 connected directly to the T747? I've read some suggest a couple of ~$100 amps. Are those really any good for these headphones? I would think the T747 would be better. Is it good enough?

I don't want to spend $1500 if without the matching amp it will sound just marginally better than the HD650.

Jan 4, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #2 of 9
I would suggest having a listen to the Graham Slee Solo SRG2 or the Ultra Linear Edition of it. If you want something more rhythmical though less musical, try out the Vioelectric amps; I think you can get an on-board dac for the vioelectrics if you pay extra. I love both, I have both and I have a HD650, HD800, and a Grado sr325Is which are all great with the amps i suggested. Now, some might disagree but the ~100$ amps are simply rubbish with the 650 or the 800. They are not musical nor are they really "sufficient" for any of the phones. They lack a lot of sound and control with cheap amps like a Fiio. The Fiio E12 does have a lot of power for a little box but it is not sufficient and the sound is pretty bad too. You don't need the HD650 or the HD800 if you're thinking of buying a cheap amp. Maybe think of some Grados or something, which by the way sounds better with an excellent amp. The Graham Slee is, in my opinion, the best amp money can buy if you're thinking of a solid state. Burson amps are nice but they have too much sparkle in highs and treble for the HD650 especially because the 650 is supposed to be dark textured. Burson, I think is excellent for something like a Beyer. Beyerdynamic amps are also like Bursons, not much good for the HD series. Graham Slee has excellent bass, treble, and so on. HD650 and the HD800 will sing for you with a Slee amp. Also, I'm not a fan of tube amps so you'll have to ask someone else for that. I listened to WooAudio which is fine but not much of a fan of any since tube lacks the punch and bass control if you don't spend quite a bit. I also like things to be forever like a solid state should be. Hope this helps!

Jan 5, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the amp suggestions. I did a quick search on the Slee Solo SRG2 and found some reviews but no sales. I always thought tube amps would be best. Isn't Sennheiser's matched amp a tube amp?

I almost ordered an HD800 today. I thought I could at least try it with my receiver. I better see what the price is with the amp first.

Jan 6, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the amp suggestions. I did a quick search on the Slee Solo SRG2 and found some reviews but no sales. I always thought tube amps would be best. Isn't Sennheiser's matched amp a tube amp?

I almost ordered an HD800 today. I thought I could at least try it with my receiver. I better see what the price is with the amp first.

Well to be perfectly sure that the amp you want to buy is the amp you really like, you just gotta go have a listen somewhere. I thought the Little Dots would be lovely but when I tried them I didn't like them so much, same story with Lemann amps such as the Black Linear or something. I never thought of getting Graham Slees but they just sounded better to my ears. You might want to read some reviews of it on Headfonia and Canadahifi. http://www.headfonia.com/graham-slee-desktop-amps-novo-solo-srg-ii-solo-ultra-linear/
http://canadahifi.com/digital_edition/CHF34de/CHF34de.html
^here
Because the 800s are a bit analytic and boring to some, you might want the Slee because it's really musical. My other amp, Vioelectric, is a great amp for the Grados but they're so so with the 800s because the Vios are also very analytic. You should probably go listen a lot though, took me hundreds of hours of listening to buy my first amp.

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #5 of 9
I ended up getting the HD 700. It was only $650 so I thought I'd give it a try. Since I like it so much better than my other headphones and as I remember the HD 650 I'm going to give up on the HD 800, at least for now.

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #6 of 9
I ended up getting the HD 700. It was only $650 so I thought I'd give it a try. Since I like it so much better than my other headphones and as I remember the HD 650 I'm going to give up on the HD 800, at least for now.

well not really a fan of the 700 but it is pretty awesome. I like the 650 better though:p
what happened to your amp? the 700 NEEDS an amp

Feb 4, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #8 of 9
A lot has happened since my last post here. I got the Objective 2 (after I got the C5D) since my last post and I love it. So, so, so much better than my receiver. I can't even listen to that anymore. Plus I've got the O2 sitting right next to me instead of across the room.

But, now I tried the HD800 and I really do like it so much more than the HD700. And the HD800 sounds great with the O2. I don't find them analytical or boring at all. I think they've got great energy from low to high. Maybe the HD800 is not as picky about amps as some people say they are. Or maybe the O2 is just a great amp for the HD800.

Feb 5, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #9 of 9
The HD800 is not as picky as most of the people said. In my opinion !
HD800 and O2 works perfect together and I'm really satisfied with this combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back