HD800 Connectors, I need them now!
Jun 12, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #16 of 25
john, i'm pretty sure they are standard 2 pin lemo connectors. they arent cheap, but I might be able to grab them for you. can you give me some pics and measurements?? PM me or shoot me an email. I did some searching bin aid of getting a cable ready myself before alex has the connector available for DIY, which could be a little while.

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
john, i'm pretty sure they are standard 2 pin lemo connectors. they arent cheap, but I might be able to grab them for you. can you give me some pics and measurements?? PM me or shoot me an email. I did some searching bin aid of getting a cable ready myself before alex has the connector available for DIY, which could be a little while.

Sorry, they are not Lemo's.

Lee

Jun 13, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarplayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, they are not Lemo's.

Lee

crap!! thats why I wanted pics and measurements to confirm. of course it couldnt be that easy
mad.gif
they arent cheap either those lemos, so glad I didnt buy just to see. are you onto it Lee?? will you have the connectors for sale??

John: as to your dilemma with the wires; are the wires enameled or regular insulation?? if you dont feel confident soldering them just send it up i'll take care of it. (send the HD800 too
tongue.gif
) but you should be able to remove the insulation by burning it off with a lighter or gas torch. you could also melt it off and tin in the one action by getting your iron tip pretty hot (a larger type tip would be preferred) get a decent blob of solder on the end of the tip and dip the wire into that for ~5 seconds, provided it isnt teflon dielectric that should do the trick.

Jun 13, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John: as to your dilemma with the wires; are the wires enameled or regular insulation?? if you dont feel confident soldering them just send it up i'll take care of it. (send the HD800 too
tongue.gif
) but you should be able to remove the insulation by burning it off with a lighter or gas torch. you could also melt it off and tin in the one action by getting your iron tip pretty hot (a larger type tip would be preferred) get a decent blob of solder on the end of the tip and dip the wire into that for ~5 seconds, provided it isnt teflon dielectric that should do the trick.

Hey qusp, thanks for replying. I got an email from Heli, apuresound will have HD800 connectors by July 2 so I’ve ordered a pair already.
Now too the stock cable dilemma, attached is a cross section, not my image it was found via google, I haven’t got the HD800’s yet, should be here Monday. The wires are 32 AWG, I didn’t think about burning of the insulation (noob). I was going to attack it with a sharp surgical scalpel as my wire strippers only go to 20 awg, I need the Y split to be quite high into the cable as well, as my headphone jacks are either side of my volume knob (the whoas of being too symmetrical, or simply my design floor
redface.gif
). If you can enlighten me further with any more info let me know. Thanks mate appreciate it!

Jun 13, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey qusp, thanks for replying. I got an email from Heli, apuresound will have HD800 connectors by July 2 so I’ve ordered a pair already.

cool, what was the damage?? due to the helping hand above^^ I have found the specific connectors we need. I have the catalogue on the way to me and have the PDF catalogue already, but I suppose there will be a minimum order to get direct from them. we'll see. perhaps a group buy is in order.

Quote:

Now too the stock cable dilemma, attached is a cross section, not my image it was found via google, I haven’t got the HD800’s yet, should be here Monday.

nice one, cant wait to hear your impressions. they arent really on the agenda for me at least for a little while. first up is ES3X or JH13 customs. which may actually ruin me for anything but R10 and HD800 at least for dynamics.

Quote:

The wires are 32 AWG, I didn’t think about burning of the insulation (noob). I was going to attack it with a sharp surgical scalpel as my wire strippers only go to 20 awg,

well you can go the scalpel route, but likely you will loose at least a few strands. I never use strippers really. I only use a scalpel for larger wires or burn/melt it off. a solder pot would be ideal, but I dont have one as yet; although its on the list. so yeah just use the largest tip you have on your iron and get a nice big blob of solder on it and dip the wires into it until you see it melted off; make sure to clean the tip with some flux after and re-tin. the cable has 2 twisted pairs individually shielded, so you will obviously have to connect them at the XLR end only. cant see whether there is any foil shielding in there as well; if there is, see if there is a drain wire, which will also need to be grounded at the XLR. looks like its gonna be a little mesy with all that wadding and stuff, but i'm sure you'll manage ;p

Quote:

I need the Y split to be quite high into the cable as well, as my headphone jacks are either side of my volume knob (the whoas of being too symmetrical, or simply my design floor
redface.gif
)

LOL, nice spin there
tongue.gif
too symmetrical hehe...

. Quote:

If you can enlighten me further with any more info let me know. Thanks mate appreciate it!

you'll be ok, shouldnt be a drama, man 32AWG is pretty pissweak. this is supposed to be a decent stock cable too, certainly is pretty well designed as far as shielding and choice of dielectric., but OMG @ 32AWG wires. let me know how you go.

Jun 14, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #23 of 25
^^ Thanks qusp, will let you know how I go. HD800 a have cleared Australian Customs, should be here tomorrow. I’m fairly confident now, so cheers for all your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back