HD800 being "picky" with amps myth
Jul 2, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #91 of 323
This is an interesting topic and there is a lot to be learned. Based on my first experiments I am already convinced that EQ-ing is much more rewarding (and cheaper!) than hunting for the most synergistic amp-phones combination.

Yup. But one doesn't preclude the other, and one learns which is more beneficial by trying both.

Jul 2, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #93 of 323
Never got an answer on one question, though. Should one EQ away the ear canal resonance at 6-8 kHz? Why, why not?

Jul 2, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #94 of 323
  Soo I got my HD800 for 3 days. About this amp picky part i think it sounds great out of everything lol. One thing is im now pretty confident is that the aune T1( stock tubes) and the Schiit Asgard 2 sound EXACTLY the same.... yea.... HD 800 makes some song that have too much highs kinda hard to listen. 

Last point from my memory HD800 had a bigger sound stage than this lol maybe its because of the asgard 2? idk .

Or your point from memory isn't as accurate as you think it is.

Not trying to be snide. It's just that I am quite sure it's a much more likely explanation. Especially because I don't know any amps that increase sound stage, nor are they supposed to. Not without dsp anyway.

Jul 2, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #95 of 323
i think its because before i wasnt used to high end headphones before and now im always listening to headphones with good sound stage. hd 800 just dont sound as big as before, its all relative.

Jul 3, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #97 of 323
Sure, but why doesn't one experience said resonance in everyday life, is it due to the placement of the headphone speakers?

Jul 3, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #98 of 323
Sure, but why doesn't one experience said resonance in everyday life, is it due to the placement of the headphone speakers?

Correct. It's the added acoustic reflections from the headphones on and around the ear that permit high-Q modes to exist that aren't present otherwise in the absence of headphones.

Cheers

Jul 4, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #99 of 323
Great, thank you for the answers!

Jul 5, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #100 of 323
800's absolutely shine with the Burson Soloist. Reaching the Sens full dynamic potential is fully achieved. I know some have said that the treble and sibilance are a bit piercing at times but buying a really great DAC can clean up that problem instantly by smoothing it out with the rich and warm analog sound that of course a DAC carries. :wink:
You don't have to go crazy and risk coloring the 800's dynamics in place of a warmer vinyl like sound by opting for a tube amp or cable upgrades. Personally the cable upgrade game is really tricky and people should be very careful with their $$ when looking into those matters. When you already have high end gear in your sound chain AMP+DAC+headphones cables can really only create differences that are very small. Like 5 to 10%.

Jul 5, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #101 of 323
800's absolutely shine with the Burson Soloist. Reaching the Sens full dynamic potential is fully achieved. I know some have said that the treble and sibilance are a bit piercing at times but buying a really great DAC can clean up that problem instantly by smoothing it out with the rich and warm analog sound that of course a DAC carries.
wink.gif

You don't have to go crazy and risk coloring the 800's dynamics in place of a warmer vinyl like sound by opting for a tube amp or cable upgrades. Personally the cable upgrade game is really tricky and people should be very careful with their $$ when looking into those matters. When you already have high end gear in your sound chain AMP+DAC+headphones cables can really only create differences that are very small. Like 5 to 10%.

Right, the warm and analog sound only really great expensive dacs carry. What a nonsense.

Jul 5, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #102 of 323
This is the same BS I have to put up with on the HD800 thread.  They said my DAC isn't good enough, and then my amp.  They said my amp has 0 output impedance and it should have 40??? What??  

Of course, if I find flaws in the headphone, it's my DAC or my Amp.  
rolleyes.gif
  Such a convenient answer.  It is so obvious HD800 is overly bright.  And they say it needs a good amp.  whatever.  So, I should look for rolled off DAC?  Should I look for a tube DAC??  rediculous.

From my experience here, you can sniff some of the BS in the threads.  

Jul 5, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #104 of 323
If you mod it, it will sound noticeably less peaky. As a cheap experiment, try pairing it with a Vali for some warmth. Modded HD800 + Vali will still be on the brighter side but you might at least be able to enjoy it.

But maybe that won't be enough. Maybe nothing can make it work for you. That's OK. HD800 isn't for everyone. I haven't bought one.

Jul 5, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #105 of 323
If you mod it, it will sound noticeably less peaky. As a cheap experiment, try pairing it with a Vali for some warmth. Modded HD800 + Vali will still be on the brighter side but you might at least be able to enjoy it.

But maybe that won't be enough. Maybe nothing can make it work for you. That's OK. HD800 isn't for everyone. I haven't bought one.

I just EQ'd it.  Dropped 8k peak.  Reduced harshness to the vocal treble. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back