HD700 worth getting? If so what's a good amp/DAC
May 14, 2015 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

nottheface

Head-Fier
A guy my brother knows is selling a HD700 for $400. They're basically new. Is it worth getting at this price? Reviews on this headphone seem a little mixed.

What would be a good amp/DAC for a HD 700. I listen on a PC, mostly to Spotify Premium but also some CD's.

Modi 2/ Magni 2
Modi 2/ Vali
JDSlabs O2+ODAC combo
SoundBlaster ZxR Soundcard
ASUS Xonar

There's something appealing about just having a soundcard since I'm using these exclusively with my PC. However, I like the idea of the Schiit stack too as I could use them on my computer at work if/when I upgrade my computer at home. At the office I'm using an AKG 7xx and an FiiO e10k. And I hear the 7xx works well with any of the amp/DAC's I listed above.

May 15, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #2 of 4
$400 is not a bad price for the HD700 as they tend to trend used around the $410-$450 price range. Whether it is worth it or not is rather subjective. It all depends on what you've had before, what you listen to, the sound signature you enjoy, and most importantly what you paid for them.

The HD700's treble can be on the bright side which is why a lot of people recommend tube amps to try to reign it in. I think this is half the problem with the the HD700s and why reviews run the gambit between extremes. My personal opinion would be to get the ASUS Xonar or  SoundBlaster ZxR.  Those are two sound cards I am currently trying to get a hole of for my desktop setup and neither are terribly expensive to buy used. I think starting at the PC is a good foundation since it sounds like it's your primary source.

May 15, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #4 of 4
I don't own either of the cards so I cannot say if they are better/comparable to a dedicated desktop amp. From what I've read the HD700 pair nicely with the ASUS Xonar STX even though it may not be "the best sounding" way to listen to the HD700. The "best sound" is more of a long goal pursuit imo. I would consider getting the ASUS Xonar STX if money is a concern. It trends around the $100-ish used and is probably going to be the best bang for your buck.

Some threads to look at:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/612502/sennheiser-hd-700-impressions-thread/240
http://www.head-fi.org/t/693008/help-sound-blaster-zxr-vs-xonar-essence-stx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back