HD700 vs HD800 vs LCD-2
May 15, 2016 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

VerBla

100+ Head-Fier
I've been looking into these for a while now. I'm curious what you guys think.

Why would I pick one of these over the other?

May 15, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #2 of 12
IMO, here's the breakdown between the 3:

HD800 - SUPER-detailed, VERY neutral, VERY harsh highs (without modding, after modding the highs are still too harsh for me IMO, but they're acceptable to others), very comfortable
HD700 - Similar to HD700, but smaller earpads (less comfortable) and not as detailed
LCD2 - Pretty detailed, quite heavy, definite dark signature (accentuated bass, neutral-ish mids and highs)

IMO, between the 3, i'd go LCD2...In a world full of possibility, i'd maybe go for the Hifiman HE-560's instead...

May 15, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 12
The HD800 is not at all harsh, unless it's being driven [attempted to be driven] by a puny amp.  If you think that's an opinion only, then ask Schiit - every amp they build is tested with an HD800.  So, they're going to sell an amp that tests out as harsh highs with the HD800?  I don't think so.

I can't speak for the HD700, but have not heard very many good things about it.  Quality is top-notch, for sure, but many say Sennheiser missed the mark on sound quality.

As for the Audeze LCD2 - dark is the word and watch out for quality control.

May 15, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #4 of 12
  The HD800 is not at all harsh, unless it's being driven [attempted to be driven] by a puny amp.  If you think that's an opinion only, then ask Schiit - every amp they build is tested with an HD800.  So, they're going to sell an amp that tests out as harsh highs with the HD800?  I don't think so.

I can't speak for the HD700, but have not heard very many good things about it.  Quality is top-notch, for sure, but many say Sennheiser missed the mark on sound quality.

As for the Audeze LCD2 - dark is the word and watch out for quality control.

I've demoed HD800's several times from several amps (Schiit Magni 2U, Schiit Ragnarok, some Eddie Current amp and an Aune S16). All of them had harsh treble (though the Eddie Current's treble was the least bad IMO). I also tried HD800S on the Ragnarok and while it was certainly better than the HD800, it was still just a BIT harsher than i'd want if I was spending ~$1700 on a pair of headphones.

May 16, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #6 of 12
Very different headphones.

HD800 is analytical, bright, dry, big stage, quite light on the bass, extremely detailed across the spectrum
HD700 is a more fun, less technical, more bass than HD800, still big stage. Kind of a fun HD800 except for the fact that many people find its treble even more problematic than HD800's.
LCD-2 is heavy, darkish in comparison, smaller stage, less airy presentation with remarkable bass response.

Your preferences play a big role here.

May 16, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #7 of 12
Thanks for your responses :) I know these are quite different headphones, both in price and in sound. I was curious what kind of summary people would give of these headphones.
For now I've only listened to the HD700 and really enjoyed the soundstage, comfort and actually feeling the music in my ears, like I was at a concert but even on a low volume :wink:.

At a local dealer I might be able to get the HD800's for about 900 euros thanks to the HD800s(might be gone already, normal price was I believe 1200). Would my Chord Mojo be enough to power them? Meaning that I wouldn't have to make any other big investments to terms of amplifiers. 

May 16, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #8 of 12
I have two of these headphones and have extensively auditioned the LCD2. I'm on my phone atm so this will be a bit brief.

HD800: King of neutrality, hyper detailed, can be a bit bright when stock. Bass accuracy + extension is outstanding, but you will be surprised by how hard it can hit. Limitless scaling with good equipment, can compete with any headphone. Will require you to invest more into the chain powering the HD800 to make the most of it. Extremely comfortable.

HD700: Somewhat similar to HD800. HD800 is an improvement in every aspect, but the difference isn't as huge as the price. Brighter and more sibilant than the HD800, but can be remedied with a warm amp. I'd be happy with this if I couldn't afford the HD800 but I definitely need to spend money for a warm amp. Extremely comfortable. 

LCD2: Detailed, but less so than both Senn's. Not neutral, dark and lacking some air, but treble is smoother than 800/700. You may be disappointed with its soundstage if you're comparing the 800 and 700. Sounds pretty good for electronic music. Requires an amp that can drive orthos. Heavy and pretty uncomfortable. Watch out for quality control issues.

Let me know if you'd like more detailed impressions

May 16, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 12

At a local dealer I might be able to get the HD800's for about 900 euros thanks to the HD800s(might be gone already, normal price was I believe 1200). Would my Chord Mojo be enough to power them? Meaning that I wouldn't have to make any other big investments to terms of amplifiers. 

The HD800/HD800S sounds surprisingly good from the Mojo. Many people can also attest to this (off the top of my head, sheldaze and Currawong). I personally enjoy the HD800S on the Mojo a bit more since the Mojo can't quite tame the classic HD800 treble as much as I would like. Sounds far better than on the Schiit stack for sure. I think you'd be perfectly content with the setup until you're ready to make the jump towards something endgame

May 17, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #10 of 12
And in the end, after listening and comparing for a while I ended up with the Hifiman HE-560's xD.

Went from HD700 vs HD800, with which the 700's lost quite quickly, too muddy lows. Soundstage is nice, but the HD800 just did it better. Then I checked the Audeze EL-8's and quickly came to the conclusion that the amount of Bass and narrowness wasn't for me. So I could conclude that the LCD-2's, which are supposed to be even darker weren't for me.

The local dealer then told me to check out the HE-560's. I first wanted to listen some more to the HD800 and figure out why exactly I liked them. Detailed, Soundstage, amazing vocals and sparkly highs. Ok, next up HE-560. Boom, Bass, tight, separation in instruments and soundstage was slightly less but still very nice. Kept on listening and switching between the HE-560 and HD800 and after about 2 hours, the HE-560 just clicked a bit more. They sound less thin, but still have a nice soundstage and the bass is just way better for me, more textured and tight and less airy compared to the HD800. And the comfort aspect of the two is pretty much the same for me, wearing glasses also didn't matter at all. 

I want to thank you guys for the overview you gave me, and while listening to the cans I now know what my own twist is to these descriptions. :)

May 17, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #11 of 12
  And in the end, after listening and comparing for a while I ended up with the Hifiman HE-560's xD.

Went from HD700 vs HD800, with which the 700's lost quite quickly, too muddy lows. Soundstage is nice, but the HD800 just did it better. Then I checked the Audeze EL-8's and quickly came to the conclusion that the amount of Bass and narrowness wasn't for me. So I could conclude that the LCD-2's, which are supposed to be even darker weren't for me.

The local dealer then told me to check out the HE-560's. I first wanted to listen some more to the HD800 and figure out why exactly I liked them. Detailed, Soundstage, amazing vocals and sparkly highs. Ok, next up HE-560. Boom, Bass, tight, separation in instruments and soundstage was slightly less but still very nice. Kept on listening and switching between the HE-560 and HD800 and after about 2 hours, the HE-560 just clicked a bit more. They sound less thin, but still have a nice soundstage and the bass is just way better for me, more textured and tight and less airy compared to the HD800. And the comfort aspect of the two is pretty much the same for me, wearing glasses also didn't matter at all. 

I want to thank you guys for the overview you gave me, and while listening to the cans I now know what my own twist is to these descriptions. :)

Nice pick, happy listening!
beerchug.gif

Jul 15, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #12 of 12
I have two of these headphones and have extensively auditioned the LCD2. I'm on my phone atm so this will be a bit brief.

HD800: King of neutrality, hyper detailed, can be a bit bright when stock. Bass accuracy + extension is outstanding, but you will be surprised by how hard it can hit. Limitless scaling with good equipment, can compete with any headphone. Will require you to invest more into the chain powering the HD800 to make the most of it. Extremely comfortable.

HD700: Somewhat similar to HD800. HD800 is an improvement in every aspect, but the difference isn't as huge as the price. Brighter and more sibilant than the HD800, but can be remedied with a warm amp. I'd be happy with this if I couldn't afford the HD800 but I definitely need to spend money for a warm amp. Extremely comfortable.

LCD2: Detailed, but less so than both Senn's. Not neutral, dark and lacking some air, but treble is smoother than 800/700. You may be disappointed with its soundstage if you're comparing the 800 and 700. Sounds pretty good for electronic music. Requires an amp that can drive orthos. Heavy and pretty uncomfortable. Watch out for quality control issues.

Let me know if you'd like more detailed impressions
Hi, could you please elaborate more about the HD700 vs HD800. I’m in the middle of the following doubt:

Presently I have an HD700 and in my country there’s a sale where the HD800 is at approx US$820 brand new, sealed. Do you think is it worth the upgrade? I listen mostly to classical music and latin music. I know the HD800 needs a good amp and I wonder if a Schiit Magni 3, a Vali 2 or a Lyr2 will make it justice.

Thanks in advance for your opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back