HD700 Issues
Jun 26, 2016 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Sukhdev

New Head-Fier
I purchased my pair over 2 months ago in April. But due to travelling, I haven't really had the pleasure of listening to them until just recently. So upon listening I noticed that they don't sound that great. It isn't really that loud and clear. The audio sounds somewhat compressed, somewhat tinny and undesirable to listen to.

For the past two months, I've been using my Momentum 2.0 Wireless. I've compared the sound between both as well as the Audio-Technica M50X. Both of those sound clearer and overall better compared to the HD700. Is there some sort of issue now? What can I do to get these checked out since return is out of the question? 

I'm using the schiit audio Magni 2/Modi 2 stack and I listen to Rock/Heavy Metal.

Jun 26, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 12
Are you sure it doesn't get that loud, even when you crank the volume? The Magni 2 should get louder than you can stand. My HD 700 got very loud even driven from a Fulla, which has quite a bit less output power.

As for the sound signature, I would recommend equalizing it to your liking.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/796791/the-most-reliable-easiest-way-to-eq-headphones-properly-to-achieve-the-most-ideal-sound-for-non-professionals
http://www.head-fi.org/t/794467/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-2016-update
http://www.head-fi.org/t/615417/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-advanced-tutorial-in-progress
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587703/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial-part-2
http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial

But the HD 700 is many leagues better than the M50x, so perhaps there is a problem.

If there is something wrong with it, you should be able to get a replacement under the warranty. In my experience, though, when I sent headphones in to the manufacturer to be checked out just in case, it turns out there was nothing wrong.

Jun 26, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 12
I have to crank the dial up at least halfway and have my player sound over 3/4 to get something I'm comfortable with. I was using the m50x to compare the loudness and realised once you said that the m50x don't need that much to be driven.

That's one of my fears. I don't want to have to pay for shipping and wait just to find out that nothing is wrong. 

EDIT: I am using a eq

Jun 26, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 12
  I have to crank the dial up at least halfway and have my player sound over 3/4 to get something I'm comfortable with.

Okay, that sounds about right, then. (At first I thought you meant it wasn't loud enough even at 100%! I had a Magni 2 Uber and the only headphone I ever cranked that much was the unobtainium piezoelectric Pioneer SE-300.) The HD 700 is definitely harder to drive than the M50x, so this should not be a concern. Just increase the volume to your desired level. I always keep everything at max volume except for the amp. If you do that, you won't need to use as much of the amp's volume knob.

I was using the m50x to compare the loudness and realised once you said that the m50x don't need that much to be driven.

Wait, you mean a past post of mine? I'm famous!
tongue_smile.gif

I totally forgot until just now that you and I talked once in the metal thread.

That's one of my fears. I don't want to have to pay for shipping and wait just to find out that nothing is wrong. 

Well, it's an expensive headphone, so the cost of shipping is a drop in the bucket. Sometimes the manufacturer will even cover part or all of the shipping cost, depending on circumstances. Better safe than sorry. If you call Sennheiser, they will help.

Try out some EQ first, though, since it's free.

Jun 26, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #5 of 12
Haha, I forgot to put a comma or two in there. I meant once I saw your reply about loudness I remembered. But yeah, I remember the metal thread.

I've already contacted Sennheiser on the issue and all they said was to send it in. I'll try giving them a call tomorrow again. Might be better explaining my situation over the phone then submitting a ticket. 

Jun 26, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #6 of 12
I'll try giving them a call tomorrow again. Might be better explaining my situation over the phone then submitting a ticket. 

Yup. I've gotten free shipping both ways by workin' my charm on people over the phone.

Don't mean to sound like a broken record, but it would be a good idea to spend some time equalizing it before calling. This can give you better insights into its sound signature and capabilities. You may end up liking it and even decide it isn't defective.

Jun 26, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #7 of 12
Yup. I've gotten free shipping both ways by workin' my charm on people over the phone.

Don't mean to sound like a broken record, but it would be a good idea to spend some time equalizing it before calling. This can give you better insights into its sound signature and capabilities. You may end up liking it and even decide it isn't defective.

I'm on my computer most of the night and afternoon tomorrow. I'll mess around with the EQs before contacting them.

Lastly, thanks for your help. You've been really helpful :)

Jun 26, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #8 of 12
Hello,

1- Check the Magni 2 is in High Gain mode (switch on the back)
2- You should leave your source at max to get the most out of your Modi 2.
3- Equalizers are famous for messing the sound. I would start dissabling all equalizers/effects to hear HD700 the way it was intended.
4- Not sure what your current player is, I suggest foobar2000 as it's a very simplistic player that will preserve the sound quality.
5- You can use WASAPI with foobar 2000 to avoid undesired audio processing.

Last but not least, feel free to share one or two of your recordings.
I can try them with my HD700 and share a comment about the sound.

Jun 26, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #9 of 12
Equalizers are famous for messing the sound. I would start dissabling all equalizers/effects to hear HD700 the way it was intended.

Some low quality equalizers may be bad, but high quality parametric equalizers provide the only means to attain an accurate frequency response. (Or at least as accurate as is realistically possible.) But you have to use them the right way instead of casually experimenting. My links above show the way.

If there is indeed no defect in the OP's HD 700, he may just not like the sound signature, which is a fair ways away from neutral...but that can be fixed by...you know what. hehe. Personally, I don't care what a headphone designer intended. I am an audiophile (someone interested in high fidelity audio reproduction) and want to get as close as possible to what is actually on the recording, instead of further away, which is what happens when you don't use EQ. It's interesting how serious loudspeaker enthusiasts practically always use EQ, yet so many headphone enthusiasts are averse to it for mythical reasons.

Jun 27, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #10 of 12

Some low quality equalizers may be bad, but high quality parametric equalizers provide the only means to attain an accurate frequency response. (Or at least as accurate as is realistically possible.) But you have to use them the right way instead of casually experimenting. My links above show the way.

If there is indeed no defect in the OP's HD 700, he may just not like the sound signature, which is a fair ways away from neutral...but that can be fixed by...you know what. hehe. Personally, I don't care what a headphone designer intended. I am an audiophile (someone interested in high fidelity audio reproduction) and want to get as close as possible to what is actually on the recording, instead of further away, which is what happens when you don't use EQ. It's interesting how serious loudspeaker enthusiasts practically always use EQ, yet so many headphone enthusiasts are averse to it for mythical reasons.

Don't get me wrong, I suggested avoiding EQ to make the chain as simple as possible in order to judge if the headphone seems fine or not.
When properly applied quality equalizers can be very useful indeed. I've used DMG Equilibrium and Equality in the past with good results from both.

In my view, serious loudspeaker enthusiasts tend to use EQ because no matter how good the speakers are, the room plays a huge role and thus some equalization is most of the times a must in order to get a good frequency response. With headphones, the room doesn't exist and there's no consensus on a target response and thus people are less keen to use EQ.
Among the ones who use EQ for headphones you'll find those approaching Harman's curve, those approaching Orpheus FR, those approaching a flat line on an arbitrary measurement rig, those guided by ear, you know.

In my view, there's no possible target because:
1- Recording methods vary wildly, and music varies wildly. You'll find recordings all over the place in terms of tonal balance.
2- Different people has different hearing, some are sensitive to certain frequencies and some others don't.
3- We normally listen to music at different levels, when we raise the volume the headphone's FR remains the same but our hearing perceive it differently, so what's spot on at 85dB might be less than perfect at 75dB and viceversa.
4- Personal preferences (variable in time)

More so, the idea of a target is even more distant when you think about different placements on a live venue. They are listening to the real thing, but they are all getting a different tonal balance.

I don't use much EQ because if I go that route I would have to make a curve for each headphone and for each album, and that's a bloody matrix of equalization curves.
Normally, I simply try to pick the right headphone for the right moment, for the right album, and do my best to set the volume at an enjoyable level.
None the less, I use a bit of EQ from time to time when I'm on an EQ mood.

Jun 27, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #11 of 12
  Don't get me wrong, I suggested avoiding EQ to make the chain as simple as possible in order to judge if the headphone seems fine or not.
When properly applied quality equalizers can be very useful indeed. I've used DMG Equilibrium and Equality in the past with good results from both.

In my view, serious loudspeaker enthusiasts tend to use EQ because no matter how good the speakers are, the room plays a huge role and thus some equalization is most of the times a must in order to get a good frequency response. With headphones, the room doesn't exist and there's no consensus on a target response and thus people are less keen to use EQ.
Among the ones who use EQ for headphones you'll find those approaching Harman's curve, those approaching Orpheus FR, those approaching a flat line on an arbitrary measurement rig, those guided by ear, you know.

In my view, there's no possible target because:
1- Recording methods vary wildly, and music varies wildly. You'll find recordings all over the place in terms of tonal balance.
2- Different people has different hearing, some are sensitive to certain frequencies and some others don't.
3- We normally listen to music at different levels, when we raise the volume the headphone's FR remains the same but our hearing perceive it differently, so what's spot on at 85dB might be less than perfect at 75dB and viceversa.
4- Personal preferences (variable in time)

More so, the idea of a target is even more distant when you think about different placements on a live venue. They are listening to the real thing, but they are all getting a different tonal balance.

I don't use much EQ because if I go that route I would have to make a curve for each headphone and for each album, and that's a bloody matrix of equalization curves.
Normally, I simply try to pick the right headphone for the right moment, for the right album, and do my best to set the volume at an enjoyable level.
None the less, I use a bit of EQ from time to time when I'm on an EQ mood.

Excellent points you've made! Yes, many recordings are just...not that good. I still like the idea of hearing them as they are, though it's also nice to try various colorations, especially when it ends up sounding more accurate anyway due to the faults of the recording mixed with the faults of the equipment canceling each other out. It is definitely easier to reach for a headphone that gives you a certain sound where you know you'll get a certain result. My own goal as far as EQ goes is to make the reproduction equipment reasonably accurate regardless of the recording, with an emphasis on audible accuracy based on my own hearing (with the help of various tutorials, frequency sweeps, etc.), since, as you mentioned, that's another factor to take into consideration. So then, if it still sounds bad (which is also ultimately subjective), it's more likely to be the fault of the recording. I don't think there are many people (if any at all) who bother to forge individual curves for each of the countless recordings they listen to.

Jun 27, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #12 of 12
Hey @Sukhdev, here's a cool graph of the HD 700 @miceblue just made for me.

It starts with the InnerFidelity measurements, then superimposes compensation curves over them. This can give you better context when equalizing the HD 700. Just notice the areas where the raw grey measurements go over and under the black line (Harman curve) and the green line (diffuse-field curve).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back