HD700 Aftermarket Cable Recommendations
Oct 31, 2015 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Cool Barn

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

Just wondering your thoughts and firsthand experience with any aftermarket cables for Sennheiser HD700s.  I know cable upgrades invite spirited debates on this forum, but if I can potentially get an extra 5% improvement on an item then why not?

Obviously my first option is "don't bother".  Either the stock cable is fine and not easily improved, or the improvement of any new cable is going to be so small it isn't worth wasting money on.  Spend it on beer, meat pies, and who knows what else instead.

Second option is http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Cable-Sennheiser-HD700-HD-700-Headphone-/261318402399?var=&hash=item8273310eed for $US73.

Third option is http://www.surfcables.com/collections/surfcables-silver-teflon-headphone-cables/products/sennheiser-hd700-headphone-cables for $US100.

Fourth, final, and most expensive option: http://www.moon-audio.com/black-dragon-cable-sennheiser-hd700-headphones.html for $US255.

Which one would you go for, and why?  Have you tried any of those cables, and did it make a noticeable difference?  If it helps I'm running a Gieseler Klein DAC into an Audio-GD SA-31 headphone amp.

Cheers in advance for your advice 
smile.gif

Nov 14, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #3 of 14
I have heard that the cables from low20101020 are pretty good, and they are one-quarter of the price of the ones from Moon Audio.  Can anybody confirm that the cheaper cables are worth purchasing to notice any audible difference?

Nov 16, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #4 of 14
I have HD700s which I use with my desktop/portable system. I think the standard cable is a good quality one but the only downside for me was it was far too long. So I was looking for a replacement and actually got what appears to be the same cable you have mentioned above as your second option. They aren't a better result in terms of sound quality but they were only £25 (is that about $36 USD?) so certainly fine for the money and gave me a more manageable cable on my desk which was fine.

I kept on looking around meantime for a better product and finally came across Custom Cans here in the UK and got a nice quality braided copper set which are the perfect length and £89. These are at least as good as the standard cable but I cant say they are a significant improvement. They are good for me on sound quality vs length at the price and so I am happy.

If I am honest I'd say the biggest difference I have heard on headphone cables was switching from single ended to balanced cables which I thought was worthwhile. So unless you really need a short cable or you want to go balanced I think the beer and pies idea sounds like a better plan.  

Nov 18, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #5 of 14
Cheers mate.

So option 2 is out huh?  As I don't want to spend what ends up being over $100 Australian and have no sound improvement.  It's all about the sound for me - not the length, type, nor composition of the cable.

Damn it - I was hoping people were going to come in here saying they purchased one of those cables and it gave them eargasms and was the best sonic upgrade they have ever experienced.  Alas not to be.

Okay, it appears to be narrowed down to the final two options.  Option 3 is almost $200 Australian including 5ft of thick wire plus postage.  Option 4 is over $400 Australian all-up, which is about two-thirds of what I originally paid for the headphones themselves.

And sadly I don't have a balanced DAC/Amp, so balanced cables would be a waste.

Anybody else care to opine?

Nov 18, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #6 of 14
Spend your money on music, not snake-oil.  :wink:

Oct 9, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 14
I bought a pair of braided, paracord covered balanced cables for the dual 3.5 output of the PHA-3. From UK eBay seller Custom Cans. 

Although on some music the 700 isn't a great match for the detail of the Sabre-based Dac, I generally found it improved them.

I do think they have a great original cable, tho, which I use when using a tube. 

Oct 12, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #8 of 14
  Okay, it appears to be narrowed down to the final two options.  Option 3 is almost $200 Australian including 5ft of thick wire plus postage.  Option 4 is over $400 Australian all-up, which is about two-thirds of what I originally paid for the headphones themselves.

I'm curious what you decided on; I'm also looking at the Surf Cables option but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I noticed a huge improvement in sound quality and clarity going from unbalanced to balanced with the HE-400i from my C5D, so I expect the HD700 to have a similar improvement.

Oct 12, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #9 of 14

I'm curious what you decided on; I'm also looking at the Surf Cables option but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I noticed a huge improvement in sound quality and clarity going from unbalanced to balanced with the HE-400i from my C5D, so I expect the HD700 to have a similar improvement.

I haven't bothered upgrading the stock Sennheiser cable as I have gotten used to the sound of HD700s and really enjoy them with the standard cable.  Plus I have upgraded my headphone amp since the original post to a Musical Fidelity M1 HPA which seems to suit the HD700 a little better.  If I had more disposable income I would definitely think about upgrading the cable, but to be honest if I'm going to be spending more money on headphones I might as well save up extra and get a superior pair in the first place.  The Beyerdynamic DT1990 look particularly inviting as I own the DT990 premiums and love them, but I will have to win the lottery before I even think about buying a pair of those beasts.

So I probably won't end up upgrading the stock Sennheiser cables, but if something cheap that made a real difference came along then I would purchase it.  The chances of that happening though are nil, as "audible difference" and "cheap" never go hand in hand 
frown.gif

Oct 12, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #10 of 14

So I probably won't end up upgrading the stock Sennheiser cables, but if something cheap that made a real difference came along then I would purchase it.  The chances of that happening though are nil, as "audible difference" and "cheap" never go hand in hand 
frown.gif

Thanks for the quick response. I got my HD700 secondhand from a member here and it came with a cheap aftermarket cable, so I don't have the stock cable to compare to when I do get the balanced cable for it. But, if it even gets me half the benefit that I experienced with using balanced cables with my Hifimans, it will be worth the $100. I think a lot of people downplay the benefit of going from nonbalanced to balanced with high end headphones (it's most certainly not "snake oil"), and also downplay their value by comparing the cost-benefit ratio to only the $300+ cables. I haven't yet spent over $100 on a balanced cable, so this would be the priciest cable I've gotten, which is why I was hoping to find some input on it before buying. But if you'd like, once I get them I'll happily share my thoughts on comparing the sound qualities of the two cables.

Oct 12, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #11 of 14

But if you'd like, once I get them I'll happily share my thoughts on comparing the sound qualities of the two cables.

Thank you very much, I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

(Of course when you do so could you please also send me a stack of cash so that I can upgrade my source to a fully balanced system as well as my cables - it's only fair after tempting me like this.  Will PM you my bank account details)

biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #14 of 14
  Bought a Surf Cable Balanced 4 pin for my Sennheiser HD 700 (Nov 2016) this is a very, very noisy cable, not microphonics but megaphonics! You get what you pay for.

Hmmm. Sorry to hear that. The cables custom cans make are paracord covered, in a flat braid using litz wire. 

Alot of times cables don't sound good because of the DAC tho and it's easy to blame the cable. I didn't like how this cable sounded out of the PHA-3, but it's totally great out of the TA-ZH1ES. 

Surf cables seems like a pretty reputable company 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back