HD6xx for metal music
Oct 13, 2017 at 5:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

orian

New Head-Fier
i currently have the taskar pro 80 and its good but i want upgrade
i thought about the HD6xx that is now on sale for 200$
i listen to mostly metal music so i want the headphones to suit that type of music
will the HD6XX be good for me ?
and if not what should i buy in the 250$ budget instead ?

Oct 13, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #2 of 42
I wouldn't pick the 6xx for metal. I own the 650 and find it too relaxed for that genre. I'm not sure what a good headphone for metal is, but perhaps try looking towards Beyerdynamic or Grado

Oct 13, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 42
I wouldn't pick the 6xx for metal. I own the 650 and find it too relaxed for that genre. I'm not sure what a good headphone for metal is, but perhaps try looking towards Beyerdynamic or Grado
what do oyu mean by relaxed ?
cause the h6xx are on so good sale im just stopping myself every second from buying it so i dont get disappointed after i get them

Oct 13, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #4 of 42
i currently have the taskar pro 80 and its good but i want upgrade
i thought about the HD6xx that is now on sale for 200$
i listen to mostly metal music so i want the headphones to suit that type of music
will the HD6XX be good for me ?
and if not what should i buy in the 250$ budget instead ?
Do you even own a decent headphone amplifier, to bring out the best in the 300-Ohm HD6XX?

Oct 14, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #6 of 42
what do oyu mean by relaxed ?
cause the h6xx are on so good sale im just stopping myself every second from buying it so i dont get disappointed after i get them
It's a great headphone by all means, but for metal music I would imagine you want something punchy to emphasize the double bass pedals and some sparkly treble to get the bite of the snares. The 6xx/650 just have a relaxed feel to them and they aren't aggressive enough to sound good with metal music in a lot of people's opinions

Oct 14, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #7 of 42
It's a great headphone by all means, but for metal music I would imagine you want something punchy to emphasize the double bass pedals and some sparkly treble to get the bite of the snares. The 6xx/650 just have a relaxed feel to them and they aren't aggressive enough to sound good with metal music in a lot of people's opinions
you got my sound taste exactly
i wanna just get the guitar solo eargasm better you know what i mean ? XD
do you think the AKG 7xx will do better for me ?
the stupid thing is that they will cost me thorugh masdrop 10$ more then the hd6xx
225$ including shipping

Oct 14, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #8 of 42
what do oyu mean by relaxed?

People tend to not like them vs Grados, which has a very forward sound.

I prefer the HD650 (I actually EQ my HD600 to mimic its response above 1000hz, flattening the 3500hz peak) though since very forward headphones tend to sound like they're throwing everything at you on fast music that has a lot of instruments, like Dream Theater, Epica, Nightwish, etc. HD650 lays the instruments out a little farther from the inside of your head, though not necessarily far enough outside of it as with the K70x.

Basically, as far as headstage and perception goes, it's not anywhere near standing front row. It's more like if the aforementioned bands played in an orchestra hall and you're sitting in the center of the main section in front of the stage.

As for dynamics, particularly with the percussion, one other way they're different is how much easier to drive Grados are on top of the low impedance. HD6xx have a high enough sensitivity/effciency, however, if you plug them into anything that lacks voltage output at their impedance, or starts to pile on distortion, you get a sound that's basically a snoozefest. Plug them into a decent amp and as long as the output is more or less equal they're not too far behind Grados. I had the HD600 and SR225, and due to some high output impedance gear I was plugging them in at the time that made the low impedance Grados sound like tin cans (my Marantz CDP, NAD 304, and LD MkII), I kept the HD600 (note that while the Grados did fine out of an active ground CMOY, it sounded dark and lazy with the HD600).

If you get an amp and listen to prog/symphonic, I won't recommend against trying them. If you will either not get an amp or you don't listen primarily to symphonic/prog metal, skip them. You might as well get a Grado SR125e or SR225e.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #10 of 42
People tend to not like them vs Grados, which has a very forward sound.

I prefer the HD650 (I actually EQ my HD600 to mimic its response above 1000hz, flattening the 3500hz peak) though since very forward headphones tend to sound like they're throwing everything at you on fast music that has a lot of instruments, like Dream Theater, Epica, Nightwish, etc. HD650 lays the instruments out a little farther from the inside of your head, though not necessarily far enough outside of it as with the K70x.

Basically, as far as headstage and perception goes, it's not anywhere near standing front row. It's more like if the aforementioned bands played in an orchestra hall and you're sitting in the center of the main section in front of the stage.

As for dynamics, particularly with the percussion, one other way they're different is how much easier to drive Grados are on top of the low impedance. HD6xx have a high enough sensitivity/effciency, however, if you plug them into anything that lacks voltage output at their impedance, or starts to pile on distortion, you get a sound that's basically a snoozefest. Plug them into a decent amp and as long as the output is more or less equal they're not too far behind Grados. I had the HD600 and SR225, and due to some high output impedance gear I was plugging them in at the time that made the low impedance Grados sound like tin cans (my Marantz CDP, NAD 304, and LD MkII), I kept the HD600 (note that while the Grados did fine out of an active ground CMOY, it sounded dark and lazy with the HD600).

If you get an amp and listen to prog/symphonic, I won't recommend against trying them. If you will either not get an amp or you don't listen primarily to symphonic/prog metal, skip them. You might as well get a Grado SR125e or SR225e.
forgot to quote you ^^

Oct 14, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #11 of 42
what about the akg k7xx ?

Treble is less skewed vs the bass but not too forward and glaring as with, say, the Grado SR325i. However, since they have lower sensitivity, they'll need more power out of an amp t hear a more solid thud to the bass, although since most amps produce most power at 32ohms anyway practically any amp that can drive a K7xx series headphone will work with the HD6xx series (but not necessarily vice versa, as with OTL amps that produce more power at 300ohms vs 32ohms, and have a high output impedance).

I'd much rather save up and get the HE400S though.

Oct 14, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #12 of 42
Treble is less skewed vs the bass but not too forward and glaring as with, say, the Grado SR325i. However, since they have lower sensitivity, they'll need more power out of an amp t hear a more solid thud to the bass, although since most amps produce most power at 32ohms anyway practically any amp that can drive a K7xx series headphone will work with the HD6xx series (but not necessarily vice versa, as with OTL amps that produce more power at 300ohms vs 32ohms, and have a high output impedance).

i thought i was confused before i asked quetions here no i am more confused XD
i mostly listen to avanged sevenfold, metallica ---- heavy metal
and i look at the grado headphones.... well doesnt look like my style and i wont be able to get them for a good price where i live and at all, getting good prices for headphones in israel
with the shipping cost included is hard.... taking into account i need also to spend like 100$ at least more on a proper amp, maybe one that is combained with a dac cause i m currently using the motherboard cheap built in one... its alot of money
thats why i was thinking about the HD6XX and K7xx i can get for a good price through massdrop
but maybe i will have to stay with the taskar pro 80 for now....

Oct 14, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #13 of 42

do you think if i dont have a sound card (just the one built in on my motherboard) i will have to buy also a dac ?

Oct 14, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #14 of 42
I have both the HD650 and K7XX. Currently listening to Tool out of the balanced output of my new Jotunheim, that just got here an hour ago.

Both headphones are very good all-around open cans for the money. The K7XX has a wider soundstage and more sparkle in the treble. I agree that the 650s are more laid back and have a warmer, darker sound signature. They both need a pretty decent amp to sound right, they do get loud enough to listen to out of my iPhone 7 but they don't sound anywhere near their potential.

HD650 is 300 ohms but fairly sensitive for its high impedance. You need an amp that puts out a lot of juice at 300 ohms, which my Vali 2 puts out 270 milliwatts and sounds good with the 650s. The Jotunheim puts out 350mW with the single ended output and a whopping 900 mW with the balanced out. It's only been about an hour but the Jotunheim really rocks these cans!

K7XX is 62 ohms but very power-hungry for its low impedance. The Vali 2 is a good match for the K7XX, I really like it. It puts out 500-600 mW at 62 ohms. The Jotunheim seems to drive it a bit better out of the single ended out, but Vali 2 is very good.

My point is that both are very good headphones, and I would probably pick the K7XX if metal is all you listen to and you don't want to pay the $400 for a Jotunheim. If you do, then maybe the 650/6XX is your best bet. Don't be fooled by the $199 price for each headphone on Massdrop, you really need a good DAC and a good amp to run either one. 650/6XX is less picky with gear though overall.

Clear as mud? You probably have 15 more questions after reading this but I have a fair bit of experience with both headphones.

Oct 14, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #15 of 42
I listen to quite a bit of metal...This is my metal music thread...enjoy!
IMHO neither the Senn6XX nor AKG 7XX are great for metal.Thats the bad news.
The good news is you can get an AKG K240 sextett,either early or mid production for about half of what the the other two would cost and be in metal Valhalla.
You will need a good amp for them though.

Other than those,in that price range,I'd grab a Grado 80e,or perhaps a HiFiMan HE-400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back