HD6XX + Amplification + Wide sound stage question!
Apr 9, 2022 at 10:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

nofacemonster

100+ Head-Fier
I don't know where my question would fit so I ask it in the full size headphone section. Admins, please feel free to move it anywhere as you please.

My question is

I have been using HD6XX for almost four years. I love it and it is the only big audiophile headphones I got. I use the FX Audio DAC-X6 in the DAC stage and Little Dot MK II with Soviet power tubes and Mullard Driver tubes.

Today i plugged it directly to my phone, It is Oppo A53. It is definitely not a audiophile phone or anything special. Just a general android phone. I normally use it as a source to DAC-X6. The software i use is "Power Amp".

It is definitely not powerful enough to power the HD6XX, but sound is loud enough for me even at half the volume. (I Listen at very very low volumes).

Soon as i plugged it in, I suddenly felt that my favorite music is wider, with much wider soundstage which i have never expeirenced with any of my dedicated amplifiers. Until today, i never knew that HD6XX could have considerably wider soundstage (I know its reputation for intimate sound stage).

What can this mean...? I mean is something wrong with my amplifiers?. What can cause this...? I am sure the Oppo mobile phone can't have a better amplifier in built than FX Audio Dac-X6 or LD MK2. (Dedicated amps does everything else better but not the soundstage)

* I am listening to much lower volume than i usually listen to on the amps right now because its raining and i love the sound of rain in the background along with music. Soundstage seems much wider to me when i directly plug it.

Apr 9, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #2 of 13
Does the Oppo have a 3D or similar effect under sound settings?

Apr 9, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #4 of 13
Your DAC isn't very good, but the explanation here may be a combination of diminished bass and a DSP.

Tube rolling is a whole other thing, and I don't know what to make of that combination. Certainly a tube amp should be able to do a good job of dealing with the voltage swings required to clean up and power the HD6XX's impedance requirements in the bass, but I've no idea how those tubes colour the sound in terms of adding or interfering with harmonics that would give the impression of a wider soundstage.

If you're looking for an upgrade point to start with for your desktop setup, it's the DAC. Even the Khadas Tone Board would be a big step up.

Apr 10, 2022 at 5:59 AM Post #6 of 13
I think I have read that brighter sound (less bass) can give the impression of a wider stage, so maybe that is what is happening, you might not be getting enough energy for the lows from the oppo so it might be giving you the impression of wider stage.

I think this is the whole reason behind this wider soundstage feeling. Even though lows are not that present... it isn't all that bad for very low volume listening just to blend it with background sound as well. It gives a sense of relief and easy listening.

Apr 10, 2022 at 6:00 AM Post #7 of 13
Your DAC isn't very good, but the explanation here may be a combination of diminished bass and a DSP.

Tube rolling is a whole other thing, and I don't know what to make of that combination. Certainly a tube amp should be able to do a good job of dealing with the voltage swings required to clean up and power the HD6XX's impedance requirements in the bass, but I've no idea how those tubes colour the sound in terms of adding or interfering with harmonics that would give the impression of a wider soundstage.

If you're looking for an upgrade point to start with for your desktop setup, it's the DAC. Even the Khadas Tone Board would be a big step up.
Thanks for the reply. I heard that FX Audio DAC-X6 is not that great. It's not a great product overall.

I already have the SMSL M100 MKII that is much better compared to X6, I tried that as well but direct out from the phone still gives a sense of wider soundstage.

Apr 10, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #8 of 13
OPPO phones have built in DSP (real sound technology) and most players like the one that comes with it or pulsar dont turn it off. the setting is in settings/sound and vibration "global sound"/real sound technology.

i have an oppo a74 5g. using an app like HiBy Music Player (you can get it free on Google Play) bypasses the inbuilt decoding. HiBy takes a bit of time to configure to get the true benefit out of it. i use my oppo as a transport to my DAC via OTG.

Apr 10, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #9 of 13
OPPO phones have built in DSP (real sound technology) and most players like the one that comes with it or pulsar dont turn it off. the setting is in settings/sound and vibration "global sound"/real sound technology.

i have an oppo a74 5g. using an app like HiBy Music Player (you can get it free on Google Play) bypasses the inbuilt decoding. HiBy takes a bit of time to configure to get the true benefit out of it. i use my oppo as a transport to my DAC via OTG.
Thanks for the reply. I just went through all the options again and found out that in "Real Sound technology" option, the music mode is enabled. I see no way to disable it! (at least yet).

Apr 10, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #12 of 13
Thanks for the reply. I heard that FX Audio DAC-X6 is not that great. It's not a great product overall.

I already have the SMSL M100 MKII that is much better compared to X6, I tried that as well but direct out from the phone still gives a sense of wider soundstage.
Do you have a virtual surround option enabled in Windows?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back