HD650s for Modi and Magni?
Jan 29, 2013 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

AUTigers2016

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I purchased the Schiit Magni and Modi which I'm running from my computer to my ATH-M50s. I listen to a lot of classic rock generally imported with the Apple Lossless Format, and due to my limited resources and location out here at Auburn University, I kind of have to rely on ya'll to decide what purchases to make. But anyway, I'm already looking into upgrading headphones (this hobby is addicting), and I've read a lot of good stuff about the HD650s IF you have the right amp to drive them with. I'm really just curious as to whether or not my little Schiit stack can get the job done, and if not, what would be a good upgrade to my ATH-M50s to compliment my entry-level set-up, if you can call it that.

Any advice would be great!

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #3 of 12
Hmm if you are into rock, I wouldn't get the HD650s, they just don't seem to have the "punch" that good rock music needs, pardon the crude terminology. Maybe a set of Grado SR325s or RS1is may do you better in terms if sound quality. The M&M stack is an extremely versatile beginner set up, almost any headphone will do well with it.

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
Hmm if you are into rock, I wouldn't get the HD650s, they just don't seem to have the "punch" that good rock music needs, pardon the crude terminology. Maybe a set of Grado SR325s or RS1is may do you better in terms if sound quality. The M&M stack is an extremely versatile beginner set up, almost any headphone will do well with it.

Nonsense.

But yeah upgrade headphones before other gear. The Schiit stuff is probably terrible anyway though so I guess it doesn't matter much. 

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #5 of 12
Could you list out some things you like about the M50 and maybe what you'd like to improve on? (Either way I'm still gonna recommend the HD650 but depending on what you say I/someone can add some other recommendations). How important is comfort ( before anymore Grado recommendations)

I really liked my M50 (in fact they are the headphone I owned the longest; 2+years) but a Hd650 is vastly superior in almost all ways. I would even say that a HD650 driven by just an iPhone is still superior. Having never owned any Shiit product I cannot give specific advice on the mini stack but I can whole heartily recommend the upgrade to the 650. And I honestly don't think you will be disappointed, and you may even cure your upgraditis for awhile or maybe even semi-permanently like me and a few others have. Then you can focus on spending hundreds/thousands on 0.099% increments of SQ through amps/cables/DACs/fairy dust and be a happy headfier 
biggrin.gif
Quote:
Hey everyone,

I purchased the Schiit Magni and Modi which I'm running from my computer to my ATH-M50s. I listen to a lot of classic rock generally imported with the Apple Lossless Format, and due to my limited resources and location out here at Auburn University, I kind of have to rely on ya'll to decide what purchases to make. But anyway, I'm already looking into upgrading headphones (this hobby is addicting), and I've read a lot of good stuff about the HD650s IF you have the right amp to drive them with. I'm really just curious as to whether or not my little Schiit stack can get the job done, and if not, what would be a good upgrade to my ATH-M50s to compliment my entry-level set-up, if you can call it that.

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
Hey everyone,

Heya,

The Mangi/Modi will power most headphones just fine. No worries there. Whether they synergize or not will be up to your ear. Someone else might think something doesn't match but then you listen and think it sounds fantastic. It's all a big subjective opinionated game of preference. Remember that last part.

Try and describe what you want to hear in your next headphone. More bass, less bass, neutral bass, more treble, less treble, neutral treble, how you like your mids (distant, close), sound stage differences (since the M50 has a small sound stage I would just assume you want a bigger sound stage regardless of this question), open air or closed back, style, comfort, size, etc. And of course, budget.

The HD650 is fine for any genre. Period. Just like any other headphone is. But this is assuming the user likes the sound with their music. There are people who like treble-spiked headphones with hardly no bass for electronic music, just like there are bassheads who just want pulsing bass and nothing else matters. They're listening to the same music. They both can tell you their headphone is ideal for that kind of music. Both are valid.

That said, knowing nothing about what you're looking for in a headphone, based on what you have now, here's what I would suggest blindly to you:

Hifiman HE-400
Beyer DT880 250ohm
Sony MA900
AKG Q701
Sennheiser HD600
Grado SR225i (assuming you can stand to wear on-ear headphones)

Very best,

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #7 of 12
Wow thanks for all the replies everyone. I'm thinking that I want these next headphones to be open or semi-open. The soundstage definitely needs to be bigger than the super close one of the M50s, but I do like there to be a good amount of bass to bring out the bass lines in the songs. As for miss and all that, I honestly have no idea as I haven't had enough experience with all of this to give you an intelligent response. I have read that the M50s are pretty neutral so maybe something that will add a bit more color to the music? I don't like the idea of incredibly forward treble and highs (once again I'm not an expert), but my budget will be in the $250-$500 range.

Thanks again!

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #9 of 12
The HE-400s are fantastic for rock! Shoot for those if you want a decent sized soundstage with really good instrument separation and high detail.

Mar 15, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #10 of 12
Definitely go the He 400's I have them and the schiit stack and they sound unbelievable for any genre, for someone like yourself coming from a low end headphone this is a big step up.

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #11 of 12
The 650's are going to be much different in character and presentation than the 50's, you should try not to blind buy them if you like the 50 sound. I'd say DT990 is the next step up in performance with a similar sound to the 50's. They are both 'fun' headphones that go for musicality over ruler flat calibration. The 650's on the other hand go for a more calibrated analytical sound, but with veiled highs. Both are open dynamics.

May 21, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #12 of 12
Don't know if you ended up pulling the trigger on the HD650s or not (don't see an update) but I have the Magni/Modi stack and both the M50s and the HD650 and the M&Ms drive the HD650 very well.  Also, don't worry about the differences between the two headphones, that was going to be obvious just from the step up in price and the switching of brands.  I listen to just about everything and both headphones do most genres justice (I'm listing to Sammy Hagar right now on the HD650s and they are plenty punchy - for me at least).  Also, even though I have the HD650s I still listen to my M50s all the time.  I still think they are one of the best all-around headphones I have ever heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back