HD650's + flac files, what should I get in between?
Dec 27, 2011 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Bynming

Head-Fier
I don't know much about sound hardware so I figured I'd ask here. I'm looking for a new source for these Sennheiser HD650's. I'm currently using an Auzentech Bravura which produces decent sound as far as I can tell, but it also has some kind of glitch so I'm thinking about replacing it.

As far as I know, people are recommending the Asus Xonar Essence STX so I'm thinking about getting that, it seems to be good for the price.

However I'm also considering the AMP/DAC route, but I don't really know how the whole connectivity thing works, so I don't know which inputs I'd want to use. Which ports and tools do people generally play FLAC files from their computer through AMP/DACs? If anyone's got any examples of hardware I could consider.

I don't really have a budget yet, but let's say $500ish with a bit of wiggle room (on both sides - so modest solutions are very welcome too). I'm trying to educate myself and I know very little about sound technology, so forgive me for my ignorance. I would really appreciate any help.

Also if there are any options I havent talked about, I may not even know about them!

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #2 of 16
Quote:
I don't really have a budget yet, but let's say $500ish with a bit of wiggle room (on both sides - so modest solutions are very welcome too). I'm trying to educate myself and I know very little about sound technology, so forgive me for my ignorance. I would really appreciate any help.

You could get the Yulong D100. Connect it via USB, or coaxial if your computer's motherboard has it. I think it's the orange RCA jack.

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #3 of 16
My computer motherboard does have coaxial out (spdif out right?). The data that comes out of that is basically unprocessed so it's still "pure" and didn't go through the terrible onboard sound card, correct?

Dec 28, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #4 of 16
I think it still goes through your onboard sound card because you have nothing in between that is bypassing the signal so doesn't matter if its USB or COAX, i think its still going through your soundcard. But with a 500 budget, i do recommend the the Yulong D100, you will get more than what its worth, guaranteed.
wink.gif

Quote:
My computer motherboard does have coaxial out (spdif out right?). The data that comes out of that is basically unprocessed so it's still "pure" and didn't go through the terrible onboard sound card, correct?

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:
I think it still goes through your onboard sound card because you have nothing in between that is bypassing the signal so doesn't matter if its USB or COAX, i think its still going through your soundcard. But with a 500 budget, i do recommend the the Yulong D100, you will get more than what its worth, guaranteed.
wink.gif

No, it doesn't go through the sound card, or rather the sound card does no processing. The sound card is just a DAC. You can't run a digital signal through a DAC and get a digital signal. S/PDIF is a digital signal.

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #6 of 16
oh okay, thanks for the correction. Then what will i be getting if its a optical output from the computer and to the optical input of my external dac?

Quote:
No, it doesn't go through the sound card, or rather the sound card does no processing. The sound card is just a DAC. You can't run a digital signal through a DAC and get a digital signal. S/PDIF is a digital signal.

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
oh okay, thanks for the correction. Then what will i be getting if its a optical output from the computer and to the optical input of my external dac?

You get ones and zeroes at a specific sampling rate and bit depth. The only way a computer will screw that up is by sending the wrong information (which means your computer isn't going to function properly anyway) or by sending it at the wrong time (jitter, which hasn't yet been shown to matter at any reasonable amount).

Dec 28, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #10 of 16
oh i think i get it haha. Thanks

Quote:
You get ones and zeroes at a specific sampling rate and bit depth. The only way a computer will screw that up is by sending the wrong information (which means your computer isn't going to function properly anyway) or by sending it at the wrong time (jitter, which hasn't yet been shown to matter at any reasonable amount).

Dec 28, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #11 of 16
I have a two questions, is there any advantage to using digital coax or optical over USB in the case of the Yulong D100, and also are RCA and Digital coax cables interchangeable?

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #12 of 16
Coaxial is usually considered the most reliable. Optical is sometimes prone to timing errors, whether they're audible or not. Audiophiles tend not to like USB, probably because it's too simple and they like complicated stuff because it makes them feel more educated. USB on the D100 "only" supports up to 96 kHz sampling rate, but unless you have 192 kHz files you won't need anything more.

Digital coaxial cables are supposed to have an impedance of 75 ohms. Many analog RCA cables don't. Ultimately it shouldn't matter much, but I'll let the electrical engineers be the judge. While I had the DAC1 I used my analog RCA cables to connect it, you definitely get sound and as far as I'm concerned that's all a cable will give you.

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #14 of 16
just try to lean towards either Optical or Coaxial for best sound quality. As for Coax vs optical, differences are subtle or unnoticeable. USB is very different and unreliable in terms of performance. After using usb input for Udac2, i hated it compared to using optical with my dac now. Much better

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:
just try to lean towards either Optical or Coaxial for best sound quality. As for Coax vs optical, differences are subtle or unnoticeable. USB is very different and unreliable in terms of performance. After using usb input for Udac2, i hated it compared to using optical with my dac now. Much better

That might have more to do with the uDAC being crap than USB being inferior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back