HD650s + equipment
Mar 22, 2010 at 6:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

oorza

New Head-Fier
Hey there, I'm sure this isn't a new topic, but I couldn't find anything quite like it.

I've got a pair of HD650s, that I love (no complaints) and right now I'm using a horrible $50 Pyle Pro amp I got from B&H (sweet talked the salesman into giving it for free because I was buying the HD650s and the DAC at the same time) and I'm using an M-Audio 2496 as a sound card and DAC, all factory.

Say I have a progressive budget of $200 or $300 a month, with no problem saving, my question is this: what makes more sense to upgrade first? I've looked at the X-Can V8p and have heard wonderful things about it and it's what I'm tenatively planning on purchasing (if I can find a place that'll ship it to the US, which I can't) but I'm not sure if it makes more sense to upgrade the M-Audio 2496 first. Given a total budget of around ~$800, what would you suggest as the right soundcard/DAC/amp combination for the HD650s and in what order would you purchase them?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: just wanted to clarify, I want to avoid DIY equipment/kits as much as possible. I've got a history of broken equipment, shocks, burns and overall bad luck with assembling my own equipment. I'm a klutz! :p

Mar 23, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #2 of 3
I haven't heard all the options, but I have to say I love the Mapletree Ear+ HD tube amp with my Sennheisers. Currently about $700 (not a kit). The sound is holistic and palpable, makes those Sennies jump! Mostly listening to classical (big scale orchestral) and Rock. Works well for me, hopefullly you would like it too.

The 650's can sound somewhat "dark" so it is good to get an amp with enough "oomph" and one designed for higher impedence phones. The Mapletree also lets me run my Grado's using the low impedence jack, and they sound darn nice too.

Highly recommended!

Your M-Audio card is not a bad source. Not the weak link in your system, and probably not worth upgrading on your budget. I assume you're doing all the right things on the software side: avoiding using the Windows mixer, and that you are using low-latency drivers. That made a big difference for me. I still have my M-Audio, but mostly now using the Asus Essence STX as source, with Op-amp upgrades, pretty cheap for the quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back