HD650 - Would the amp in Xonar STX be enough? (beginner)
Nov 1, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:
Thank you everyone for you help. I maybe should have clarified in more detail what I'll use the equipment for. I'll mostly use it for music and movies, and some for casual gaming. I have one pair of computer speakers (Bose Companion 20) and another pair (Logitech Z623) that are in front of the TV (I watch all of my movies from the computer that's connected to my TV). So the source of the sound will always be from my computer. The headphones will be used when I watch movies/TV-series/gaming alone and when I'm listening to music while working/studying.

Also, I've tried to figure out if a sound card is needed if I have an external DAC. From what I've understood from this thread and other sources a sound card is not needed if I only listen to music and have an external DAC but is good to have if I also watch movies/for gaming? Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

The Aasgard seem interesting! This would be a bit over my budget, but how about Xonar DX + Aasgard + one of the DAC you recommended?

Otherwise, as some have written maybe I should just get the STX and settle for that now and upgrade later. This was harder than I thought it would be :p  

As an Essence STX owner, I would like to think it would be enough for the HD650 & Bose.

With the Xonar DX connected to the Asgard, your covered, no need for adding a separate DAC, at least for headphone use
The Xonar DX comes with the XS4398 DAC chip already, that a good value for use with the Asgard.
And I would assume the Asgard is a better headphone amplifier then the Essence STX (& ST).

But to use the speakers with this setup, an S/PDIF optical input and analog output DAC would need to be connected to the Xonar DX's optical output.
There are some low cost ones on eBay, Fiio makes one for under $30, D3 or D5?

Nov 1, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:
Otherwise, as some have written maybe I should just get the STX and settle for that now and upgrade later.

The STX should be fine, but you could also try the Xonar DX + O2 combination if you want an external amplifier. The O2 is not much different from the STX for the HD650, though, but it is better when driving some lower impedance headphones and especially IEMs.
If you have not heard the HD650 yet, then it is the most likely component that you need to replace if you do not like the sound (some people find it too dark and "veiled", while others actually prefer this).

Nov 1, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #18 of 23
Be aware Xonar STX isn't best combination with HD650 they are lacking deep subbass as with many other setups. But Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 are made in haven for each other.
Asgard combined with external DAC should be considered they sound much better than with others such as Audioengine D1 for example

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Nov 1, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

I noticed the Xonar DG soundcard has a built in headphone amplifier... if you connect the Xonar DG to the O2 amp would you be double amping it? If so, does it affect sound quality in any way?

Heya,

No. It has line output.

Also, every device that outputs a signal is amplified. It's over stated the concept of "double amplifying" because essentially everything is in fact double amplified. The argument should be to what degree.

Very best,

Nov 2, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #20 of 23
If I'm not mistaken, the Maverick D1 is both an amp and a DAC. I've read from different places that the D1 is great with HD650, maybe that + Xonar DX would do the trick? Both the Xonar DX and the Maverick D1 does have a DAC built in, would that affect the sound quality in any way? If you compare the Schiit Asgard amp with the D1 amp, are they on the same "level"?

EDIT: Or maybe the Crack-amp? I've read in the HD-650 appreciation thread that they are a great match. Would it, for a beginner, be hard to assemble?

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #21 of 23
If DX has digital out than connect it to digital in of D1 and DX's DAC will be bypassed and it can handle 24bit / 96kHz instead of 16bit / 48kHz over USB

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Nov 2, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, the Maverick D1 is both an amp and a DAC. I've read from different places that the D1 is great with HD650, maybe that + Xonar DX would do the trick?

If you do not want to use the DAC on the Xonar DX (even though it could be perfectly fine without any external DAC, by the way), and you do not need any surround sound or gaming features either, then you could skip buying a sound card entirely, and connect the external DAC directly to the PC.

Nov 2, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #23 of 23
As the Schiit amps would add 70$ shipping and taxes I stayed away from them and went with Meier Corda Jazz which I've only read good reviews of :) Thank you everyone for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back