HD650 Woodies
Aug 8, 2005 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Jasonharkin

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I want to get my HD650's woodified by Headphile, however I am based in the UK. I am wondering whether to send them to headphile in the states or to get them to send me out the woodies to my home. However I have only one reservation. This being are the woodies difficult to put on the HD650's?. If someone has done this on headfi, please give me some pointers.

Regards Jason

Aug 8, 2005 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 23
seems pretty straight forward to me ... besides would you really wanna be headphoneless for a week or two or more
confused.gif
icon10.gif

Aug 8, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #3 of 23
I wouldn't mind being headphoneless for a few weeks if the modification was done perfectly, nonetheless I have decided to do it myself as it is more economically viable. However what do they mean by "damping"? also what is mean't by the cups being "fully cured"? (Please excuse my ignorance and stupidity guys
biggrin.gif
). Besides this it seems a straightforward procedure and definetly worth the effort.

Regards Jason

Aug 8, 2005 at 6:27 PM Post #4 of 23
Dampening is a reference to those who have put extra material inside to change the sound. Blue Tack is one that comes to mind - though you may want to think of the wadding like speakers have in them. Can't say what changes in sound as I don't have woodied 600/650s.

The curing is referring to the wood treatment, if it's not fully cured even a light pressure from your fingers may leave a print, but not after 5 days or so when it's cured properly.

What colour finish are you thinking of? I've a pic from headphile of bloodwood finish with matching cable (y splitter and plug in the same wood). Looks real nice.

Mt MS-2i's are on their way to headphile for the full woody effect, I hope they are enjoying the trip.
biggrin.gif

Steve

Aug 8, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #5 of 23
I had the 650 woodies and loved them. It's really a piece of cake and Larry's instructions are more than adequate.

I replaced the provided screws with some that were a little smaller/shorter and very carefully pre-tapped the holes first. Attach to the driver housing and tighten just until there's no slack; no more.

Just be careful and take your time. You'll have a metal instrument in proximity to the drivers so make sure the housings don't move around while securing.

Aug 8, 2005 at 6:31 PM Post #6 of 23
im sure larry would help you out if you ran into trouble putting them on. he is incredibly kind and patient.

not sure about the process of putting them on though, i chickend out and sent mine in. they sure sound nice though!
tongue.gif

Aug 8, 2005 at 6:34 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
seems pretty straight forward to me ... besides would you really wanna be headphoneless for a week or two or more
confused.gif
icon10.gif

Man, you just had to rub it in didn't you! :p

Aug 8, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
Man, you just had to rub it in didn't you! :p

hadnt though about that but...

rub'a'dub'dub... we dont want two people whineing on the boards about no headphones
icon10.gif
....jk

I learn from my experiences, it was just a simple warning....

Aug 8, 2005 at 6:50 PM Post #9 of 23
Hi guys, I am going to go for the maple (not because its the cheapest
icon10.gif
) I find it the most cosmetically pleasing also I am not going to buy a cable as I just bought a 10ft cardas replacement cable, finally I am tempted to order a stand aswell. Oh by the way I just got a message from Larry, really nice guy by the way, anyhow Larry said that he would would replace the foam in front of the drivers with sound transparent cloth, (I think I should be capable of doing this aswell, I can only hope
icon10.gif
).

Regards Jason

Aug 8, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #10 of 23
I have a pair of 600's from Larry. You will love them!! And yes he is a very nice guy. He put up with a million questions from me about which cable to get - damping materials etc. and answered them all quite patiently!!! He will help you get it all set up & you will love the sound!!

Aug 8, 2005 at 8:23 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasonharkin
Hi guys, I am going to go for the maple
Regards Jason

i agree. it looks the most like wood to me. the others are pretty, but a bit much i think....the maple sounds nice tooo
cool.gif

Aug 18, 2005 at 4:27 PM Post #14 of 23
Asked Larry to install paduak woodies and Senn v2 cables on my hd600s. Sent them off and he sent them back a couple of weeks later. Wonderful, very pleased. Then upgraded to hd650s. Did the conversion myself. Restored the hd600 headphones myself. Sold them on EBay. Got a great attaboy. Very satisfied with myself, because I'm a guy that gets a cut, whenever I pick up a screwdriver.
600smile.gif

Aug 24, 2005 at 2:06 PM Post #15 of 23
I got my woodies from another head-fier just recently. The changes in sonic signature is subtle, I felt they add slightly more presence to mids with possible roll-off in highs and reduced soundstage. Although I made it sound like unattractive, I do like them. They sound somewhat more 'musical' to me (yep, couldnt be any more vague, sorry
smily_headphones1.gif
). Definitely the last upgrade I would make tho, as source/cables/amp/tube rolling resulted in much more improvement for buck. At the end of the day, I preffered leaving the woodies on. Installation is quite easy... If someone all-thumbs like me could do it, you should be able to do it just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back